Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3500 HD Truck I cannot access display trailer brake options

Silver Dawg

Reaction score
I'm towing a 22K lb. toy hauler. When the trailer is plugged in, the "trailer connected" message appears but the "trailer tow" screen will not scroll through trailer brake settings; it stays on "Light electric" and the up / down arrows (that should scroll through trailer brake types) scroll the entire menu screen, taking it out of "Trailer Tow"

Zrojas

Reaction score
Are you scrolling on your EVIC? I haven't hooked a trailer to my 2019 yet, but on my 2016, the EVIC only displayed your current setting.
Try selecting your trailer type from the settings menu on your Uconnect screen.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Silver Dawg

Reaction score
Go to apps/settings/trailer brakes on the U-Connect to set up each trailer's name and parameters, and to select which trailer is active.
:D:D THANK YOU 1HasBeen & Zrojas !!! :D:D- "Trailer brake type" is buried in the second screen under "Settings" in the U-Connect console, NOT on the instrument panel, accessed by steering wheel controls as the user guide incorrectl states! Wow, I thought I had looked through all those U-Connect settingso_O

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
:D:D THANK YOU 1HasBeen & Zrojas !!! :D:D- "Trailer brake type" is buried in the second screen under "Settings" in the U-Connect console, NOT on the instrument panel, accessed by steering wheel controls as the user guide incorrectl states! Wow, I thought I had looked through all those U-Connect settingso_O
Old Dawg learning new tricks courtesy 1HasBeen & Zrojas - kewl! :cool:

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
I'm towing a 22K lb. toy hauler. When the trailer is plugged in, the "trailer connected" message appears but the "trailer tow" screen will not scroll through trailer brake settings; it stays on "Light electric" and the up / down arrows (that should scroll through trailer brake types) scroll the entire menu screen, taking it out of "Trailer Tow"

Hello Silver Dawg,
We are happy to see you have remedied your concern with the assistance of your fellow forum members. Please feel free to reach back out if you have any questions in the future.
Laura
RamCares

ddown

Reaction score
Thank you for this posting spent a couple hours trying to figure this out !!! Make this a STICKY invaluable better than the Manual.

eng23ine

Reaction score
just hit the manual brake on the controller.....it will automatically switch the EVIC to the trailer gain screen.

Silver Dawg

Reaction score
just hit the manual brake on the controller.....it will automatically switch the EVIC to the trailer gain screen.
Trailer gain is not the issue. It is setting the type of braking system (elec/hyd light, heavy, etc). In this regard, the owner's manual gives incorrect access info.

Garyg

Reaction score
I have done all the above and mine stays on light electric. Jayco said there is a module to make truck and trailer communicate but can’t find.

ian3500

Reaction score
What manual are you referring to ? My RAM dealer said there wasn't one for me (2021) RAM...

ian3500

Reaction score
Never heard of new vehicle with no Manual
when i bought my last brake controller , the manual had a lot of info in it like how much gain for a particular weight trailer....etc.. and yup..i actually read what i was given.

jetlag

Reaction score
My 2020 Ram 1500 Hemi had the manual oboard with the 8.4' screen. My new 2021 3500 does not. Actually have to go the paper manual.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
when i bought my last brake controller , the manual had a lot of info in it like how much gain for a particular weight trailer....etc.. and yup..i actually read what i was given.
Personally i find that terrible info to be giving because gain does not directly go hand in hand with trailer weight really depends on a number of factors such as brake size, condition of current brakes…. Instead the manual should give instructions on how to properly set the trailer brakes

ddown

Reaction score
The main setting is trailer light or trailer heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread