Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3500 Carli leaf springs… who’s using them?

Zeus2018

Reaction score
Would love to hear from those running the Carli Deaver springs?

How much payload will I loose and how’s the ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darkone

Reaction score
I think there are a couple guys on here using the mini packs but I don’t know about the full replacements. CJC off road has done a couple videos talking about the leafs. I know that’s not real world experience but it’s something worth taking a look at.

Zeus2018

Reaction score
Mini pack was the other product I was looking at. I’ll search for that on here also, thanks!

Darkone

Reaction score
I’ve looked at the mini pack just because you retain the factory load capacity but soften some of the ride. I think there is some benefit but is it really worth the price has been my hang up. CJC off-road has a good videos on the mini packs and full leafs. I also found one from carli that may help you

madgoal1

Reaction score
I am currently running the full deaver setup that carli spec'd bought from cjc. Ride is quite a bit better than stock, smoother, and soaks up large bumps.
They say roughly 15% drop in payload, have had maybe 700lbs in the bed and didnt seem to drop much more than when stock.
Installing the leafs, a massive pain.
Attached not so great pics of full deaver leaf pack vs stock.

Attachments

• 20220817_145105.jpg
    20220817_145105.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 20220817_153008.jpg
    20220817_153008.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 60
Reaction score
Im running the Full Carli Pintop system with progressive leafs and king shocks on factory bags and i honestly havent seen the bed drop any more than factory and if you go to Carli website they say the leafs maintain factory payload. the ride of course is way better.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Im running the Full Carli Pintop system with progressive leafs and king shocks on factory bags and i honestly havent seen the bed drop any more than factory and if you go to Carli website they say the leafs maintain factory payload. the ride of course is way better.

With the OEM bags it shouldn't drop any as the bags will compensate for the softer springs.

Is the truck past level when using ALT?

Zeus2018

Reaction score

I thought I had read on there it reduces payload to a light 3/4 ton…

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought I had read on there it reduces payload to a light 3/4 ton…

It does for the trucks without auto-level. Carli has long travel air bags if you want to restore that payload capacity.

DesertRacer

Reaction score
You will lose a noticeable amount. I have thuren rear leaf springs and 5000lbs bags on daystar cradles. Max payload I need 75psi to level back out. I tow quite a bit and most I've had so far I was at 25,700ish combined. No problem towing and a lot better ride empty but you will want air bags.
Did you notice any loss in stability compared to stock? My fifth wheel has about 2500-3000 lbs of pin weight depending on how heavily I’m loaded and I’ve been considering the Thuren rear leaf springs to go with the 1.75” front level. I already have 5000 lb bags and cradles and am looking to soften up the rear, it gets stiff in a hurry over bumps.

Dinky503

Reaction score
Did you notice any loss in stability compared to stock? My fifth wheel has about 2500-3000 lbs of pin weight depending on how heavily I’m loaded and I’ve been considering the Thuren rear leaf springs to go with the 1.75” front level. I already have 5000 lb bags and cradles and am looking to soften up the rear, it gets stiff in a hurry over bumps.

2-3k your still only at 50-70%ish of your max payload. Not too bad really, thurens weight chart on the site is really close.

The only time I felt stability issues is when I had abour 6,000lbs in the bed and that was over my payload anyways. I dont know what the pin weight is but my goose neck puts a lot of pin weight empty. My last big load were metal panels around 12,000 per manufacturer ship sticker and my trailer is 6,764 empty. I drove 5 hours over a windy mountain pass to a jobsite. It felt 100% stable and very happy with it. I work construction with 2-3k in the bed all the time while towing a trailer it feels fine. 2500lbs in the bed it takes about 35psi in the bags to bring up to level. I am looking at getting a toy hauler 5th wheel in the near future and thought about rear swaybar with disconnects if I had to. Also if I had to I would step up to 7500 bags and get rid of the cradles as well. I've had my truck in the sand dunes a few times and with complete thuren suspension it's amazing and do not regret it. Just remember with thuren springs and shackles it will raise your rear end min 1in.

Attachments

• 20221023_151229.jpg
    20221023_151229.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37

TroyMcClure

Reaction score
I went with the fully optioned Carli 3.25” Pintop Auto Level Air Suspension for my 3500 and I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out. They have two different sets of leafs, one for the ALAS (retain factory) and the other without which lowers payload. The only option I didn’t get was the torsion sway bar as I didn’t want to lose the stability with how high the weight is.

It runs the bags dry during unloaded driving allowing the suspension to utilize the progressive leafs. The only drawback so far I’ve seen is you lose the alt trailer height 1” function to allow the bags to run dry. The rear end is night and day.

This is a fully loaded Arctic Fox 865 with water tanks loaded. Easily 3600lbs in the bed. I’m blown away with how well it handles.

A3D9347D-14CB-4CB8-AA88-A4DBDE3B2EEE.jpeg

B017C0F6-4C8C-4C50-BDBE-5AA07B196EB9.jpeg

Last edited:

Zeus2018

Reaction score
I went with the fully optioned ALAS for my 3500 and I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out. They have two different sets of leafs, one for the ALAS (retain factory) and the other without which lowers payload.

It runs the bags dry during normal operation allowing the suspension to utilize the progressive leafs.

View attachment 54841

View attachment 54842
Who makes your springs?

TroyMcClure

Reaction score
Sorry, just edited my post, Carli made by Deaver

Users who are viewing this thread