Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3500 Bed Length and Fuel Capacity

JasonK

Reaction score
I am currently looking to upgrade from a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited to a Ram 3500 Limited for towing our 30' Airstream. I realize the truck is probably a little overspec'd for what I am using it for, but do not want to get into the situation I am currently in in changing trucks 1.5 years later (gets really expensive). We are looking at it having the 6.7 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel with the Alison transmission, but I am torn on bed length. I enjoy the additional capacity of the 8' bed (we will be full time living in the airstream and traveling), but I am worried that that extra 1'8" of size will effectively rule out some camp spots. Also, we currently live in Seattle (although, we will be moving when on the road) and the 8' bed seems like it would be near impossible in major cities (not sure how much time we will spend in or even near those, though). On the flip side, the 50 gallon tank is almost a must for me. It appears I could still do a 6'4" bed and a titan aftermarket 52 gallon fuel tank instead (Dodge Crew Cab, Short Bed 2013-2021 (7030113)), but it would cost more than the $295 factory obviously.

My question - is there a far and away reason to go for the 8' bed? Has anyone else had the 6'4" bed and installed the larger aftermarket fuel tanks (like the titan)? And if the aftermarket is installed, has anyone had luck updating the computer system to calculate mileage/miles remaining based off the new 52 gallons instead of the factory 31 gallon?

Will_T

Reaction score
I have had a long bed crew cab for 20+ years and wanted a standard bed on the new truck for the same campsite reasons as you. Our Nash is 29'6" coupler to bumper. I do not want to take up bed space so will not be adding an in-bed aux tank. Will replace the the 31 gallon OEM fuel tank with either a Titan or S&B 50+ gallon tank, depending on which one I can get the most confident install on. Installation is my biggest concern. And yes, they are a lot more than the factory option but if the standard bed is what you want, they are the only option without losing bed space. I will have a shell also so that further eliminates the in bed aux tank. I don't think I will be doing installation myself and have seen a few bad stories about getting it installed by a shop that does not have a lot of experience with them. Leaks mainly, but one person claimed the tank inside was not cleaned of any possible manufacturing or shipping debris before installation. I think either of those two tanks are fine, just have an experienced installer. Or, if you are able to do it yourself, even better as nobody will be as careful as you. I have no experience doing something like that so am not willing to chance it myself. I have been told by both companies that the Ram can not be changed to show accurate miles to empty but that the default fuel gauge will show accurately after it starts to decline. I think I have seen posts where some have been able to change the tank size in the computer but I am not sure about that.

Last edited:

Millmutt

Reaction score
I am currently looking to upgrade from a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited to a Ram 3500 Limited for towing our 30' Airstream. I realize the truck is probably a little overspec'd for what I am using it for, but do not want to get into the situation I am currently in in changing trucks 1.5 years later (gets really expensive). We are looking at it having the 6.7 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel with the Alison transmission, but I am torn on bed length. I enjoy the additional capacity of the 8' bed (we will be full time living in the airstream and traveling), but I am worried that that extra 1'8" of size will effectively rule out some camp spots. Also, we currently live in Seattle (although, we will be moving when on the road) and the 8' bed seems like it would be near impossible in major cities (not sure how much time we will spend in or even near those, though). On the flip side, the 50 gallon tank is almost a must for me. It appears I could still do a 6'4" bed and a titan aftermarket 52 gallon fuel tank instead (Dodge Crew Cab, Short Bed 2013-2021 (7030113)), but it would cost more than the $295 factory obviously.

My question - is there a far and away reason to go for the 8' bed? Has anyone else had the 6'4" bed and installed the larger aftermarket fuel tanks (like the titan)? And if the aftermarket is installed, has anyone had luck updating the computer system to calculate mileage/miles remaining based off the new 52 gallons instead of the factory 31 gallon?
I have a CC 8’ bed with the 50 gallon and it is nice. The GVW is 500 pounds more on the long bed if that matters. I have never seen anyone pull out a tape measure at a campsite and say sorry you are too long.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The RAM HO uses the AISIN transmission, not Alison [sic].

The tank size (DTE) can be set with alfaOBD. There's also a TSB the dealer can use to set the tank size. I believe some have paid their dealer to do it after installing an aftermarket tank. You could also talk to the selling dealer and see if they can work a deal to install the Titan or S&B tank on a shortbed. Then you should get dealer warranty on the work.

JasonK

Reaction score
The RAM HO uses the AISIN transmission, not Alison [sic].

The tank size (DTE) can be set with alfaOBD. There's also a TSB the dealer can use to set the tank size. I believe some have paid their dealer to do it after installing an aftermarket tank. You could also talk to the selling dealer and see if they can work a deal to install the Titan or S&B tank on a shortbed. Then you should get dealer warranty on the work.
You are the first one to call me out - and I appreciate it! I didn't pay totally close attention, and I was told originally it was Alison. Wanting something reliable, I know they have had a great name, so the combination of Alison and Cummins sounded great. Now I see the spelling differences, and my timing was off - it appears the Alison Ram line comes out for the 2022 lineup. I'm not sure to what extent this will matter, though. It appears you have the Cumins HO w/ Aisin transmission - penny for your thoughts?

I will have to bring up the larger tank to the selling dealer, not sure how they would respond, but it can't hurt to ask!

JasonK

Reaction score
I have a CC 8’ bed with the 50 gallon and it is nice. The GVW is 500 pounds more on the long bed if that matters. I have never seen anyone pull out a tape measure at a campsite and say sorry you are too long.
I wasn't worried too much about the tape measure, more concerned about not being able to maneuver it into spots. There have been a few spots where the 1500 6'4" bed with the 30' airstream were tight getting into the campsite spot - and I worry with the 8' bed it wouldn't be possible without driving over the shrubs on the side of the road.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You are the first one to call me out - and I appreciate it! I didn't pay totally close attention, and I was told originally it was Alison. Wanting something reliable, I know they have had a great name, so the combination of Alison and Cummins sounded great. Now I see the spelling differences, and my timing was off - it appears the Alison Ram line comes out for the 2022 lineup. I'm not sure to what extent this will matter, though. It appears you have the Cumins HO w/ Aisin transmission - penny for your thoughts?

I will have to bring up the larger tank to the selling dealer, not sure how they would respond, but it can't hurt to ask!

HO/Aisin doesn't shift as harshly as some claim. A few with 2021 trucks have said it's improved from 2020. However, it isn't and will never be as smooth and well mannered as the 68RFE for a daily driver.

The HO will suck more fuel. HO/Aisin has lower payload. HO/Aisin has a bigger xfer case. HO/Aisin has a 12" rear axle.

The HO/Aisin has an aggressive torque management setup and defuels more when shifting. Doesn't really bother me because when it hooks up, it pulls like a freight train.

Rumors of a 2022 Allison are just that. Rumors. Nobody really knows if/when they will bring a new trans to the lineup or what it will be. ZF, Allison, ?? 8 speed? 9 speed?

There's a big thread here 68RFE vs Aisin, might want to find that and do a little reading. It covers driveability, maintenance, tunability, etc.

Honestly, if I wasn't pulling 16K, I'd probably just have gotten the SO/68RFE.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I wasn't worried too much about the tape measure, more concerned about not being able to maneuver it into spots. There have been a few spots where the 1500 6'4" bed with the 30' airstream were tight getting into the campsite spot - and I worry with the 8' bed it wouldn't be possible without driving over the shrubs on the side of the road.

Fifth wheel solves that. :) Solves the bed length issue as well because pulling one with a shortbed is a big hassle.

JasonK

Reaction score
HO/Aisin doesn't shift as harshly as some claim. A few with 2021 trucks have said it's improved from 2020. However, it isn't and will never be as smooth and well mannered as the 68RFE for a daily driver.

The HO will suck more fuel. HO/Aisin has lower payload. HO/Aisin has a bigger xfer case. HO/Aisin has a 12" rear axle.

The HO/Aisin has an aggressive torque management setup and defuels more when shifting. Doesn't really bother me because when it hooks up, it pulls like a freight train.

Rumors of a 2022 Allison are just that. Rumors. Nobody really knows if/when they will bring a new trans to the lineup or what it will be. ZF, Allison, ?? 8 speed? 9 speed?

There's a big thread here 68RFE vs Aisin, might want to find that and do a little reading. It covers driveability, maintenance, tunability, etc.

Honestly, if I wasn't pulling 16K, I'd probably just have gotten the SO/68RFE.
Thank you! That is great information! I mean, I can tow the 30' Airstream with the Ram 1500 V8 Hemi I have now, it's just not super comfortable slowing down on the downward path of the mountain passes out here in WA. I figure a step up and into diesel would help with that. Then, doing the usual, it was: oh, $2500 for the 3500? Sure. $2000 more for HO/Aisin? Might as well! And on and on, until it was pretty much the max truck. I know it leaves space to grow, but since we also will be full timing - and unemployed (unless I can get these for-fun business ideas to take off), I wanted to also watch the fuel efficiency at least a little. If the HO/Aisin is going to burn more, at the same time I am not towing near those weights, maybe it is just unnecessary.

We don't intend on getting a fifth-wheel. Although, everytime I seem to say "we don't intend to", somehow, someway, I end up getting proven wrong, again!

Bandit400

Reaction score
Thank you! That is great information! I mean, I can tow the 30' Airstream with the Ram 1500 V8 Hemi I have now, it's just not super comfortable slowing down on the downward path of the mountain passes out here in WA. I figure a step up and into diesel would help with that. Then, doing the usual, it was: oh, $2500 for the 3500? Sure. $2000 more for HO/Aisin? Might as well! And on and on, until it was pretty much the max truck. I know it leaves space to grow, but since we also will be full timing - and unemployed (unless I can get these for-fun business ideas to take off), I wanted to also watch the fuel efficiency at least a little. If the HO/Aisin is going to burn more, at the same time I am not towing near those weights, maybe it is just unnecessary.

We don't intend on getting a fifth-wheel. Although, everytime I seem to say "we don't intend to", somehow, someway, I end up getting proven wrong, again!
Get more truck than you need today. Made the mistake of starting with a 2019 2500 Tradesman CCLB 6.7. Payload was like 2k on that. My trailer/camper requirements changed and three months later I was trading in a basically new 2500 for a 2019 3500 Tradesman CCLB DRW 6.7HO. Costly mistake but well worth it in the end. I love the 8ft bed but initially had concerns it was going to be too long. You get used to it. Although, Parking garages are not your friends and be weary of drive throughs if you go for a DRW. They build those things for Prius. I am also adding the 55 gallon Titan tank for extended range. Go for a 2021 to avoid the CP4.2 fuel pump issue and the ability to get a 50 gallon tank from the factory.

Last edited:

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I've got HO/Aisin and even though I couldn't talk for the SO trucks, I have no complains about the fuel economy. It drinks quite a bit less than my 5.7L Tundra did (pulling the same trailer) and it pulls things effortlessly. My HO truck maybe has less payload than SO (Aisin is heavier) but I can tow considerably more with my SRW truck than the DRW SO.

And I've got a Mega cab too so my truck is a little longer than the CC with standard box, but not as long as a CC with 8' box. If I didn't want a Mega cab, I would have went with a 8'. Hell even now I'm eyeing that stretch my truck web site that does the standard to long bed conversions. Mega cab long bed...mmm... dream on! Nah... not unless I wil lotto, those conversions are expensive.
Go with a long bed, you won't regret it. that little extra length will not make a big difference in maneurability.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
8ft bed is not hard to maneuver in citys and you could also run an in bed tank for extra capacity
Here is my solution to fuel issues i had a 60gal aux tank but this 100gal is much gooder its is stripped and ill be polishing it up to a nice shine.... make it quick disconnect and its perfect for hauling a 5th wheel and easy to take out in 5-10 mins when camping season is done

Attachments

• 077E2370-9508-43A3-8DD2-CC3670D7C331.jpeg
    077E2370-9508-43A3-8DD2-CC3670D7C331.jpeg
    681 KB · Views: 10

Wileykid

Reaction score
I have the Titan 50 gallon tank in my '19 3500 SB HO. The mileage to empty sticks at around 450 miles until the needle shows somewhere around 3/4 tank, than starts down. Seems fairly accurate from that point. You just need to mentally remember you have about 200+ miles with the needle showing full, and the mileage countdown stuck on the same number.

I have been going back and forth on if I need a long bed. Currently, if I had anything longer than the short bed, I would not be able to put my current TT into my driveway, where it is stored, without driving in my neighbors front yard (not recommended). I have a new 5th wheel toy hauler on order, and yes, I could benefit from the long bed, both from trailer being further from the cab, to another 400-500 lbs of payload. I should be okay on the current truck by about 200 lbs, but until I get the trailer and put it on the scale, just don't know. If I am out, I will get a long bed, as I do not want a dually. This is my DD, and no thank you. BTDT.

Users who are viewing this thread