Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

35" Spare

oldrayseasoning

Reaction score
Hello all. My 2022 PWagon is ordered and hopefully will arrive before the new year. I plan to put 35" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ p3's on the stock 17x8 inch wheels right away. Not sure if I should order 4 or 5? Some people out there on the interwebz have successfully mounted a deflated spare where it belongs but others say this is not possible. I watched a video of a guy who just kept the stock 33" Goodyear under there to use like a donut in a pinch. I will be taking this truck off-roading in northern Michigan quite a bit. What have some other forum members' solutions entailed? This tire has a claimed outer diameter of 34 1/2 inches so it is on the smaller side of a 35" if that makes a difference.

Cheers!

el_barto

Reaction score
I put a 35x12.5R17 TreadWright Axiom under there. I did have to adjust the heat shield with a hammer, deflate the tire, and then kick it to get it up there. But it does indeed fit.
I would not bother with a matching wheel and putting the spare in rotation because it’s too much hassle to drop and raise it

Last edited:

GeneralClortho

Reaction score
I am running a 35", fully inflated spare as well. Just beat back the heat shield and work it in. It is darn tight, but fits.

el_barto

Reaction score
Yeah worth noting, I reinflate it after shoehorning it in there. It comes down easier than going up since gravity is working with it.

I do have OBA, but would rather not have to air it up if I have to use it, or have a deflated spare but the compressor isn’t working. Other advantages of keeping it inflated are it essentially serves as an air tank. Two flats and the compressor isn’t working? Plug the easier one, and then equalize pressure between the spare and the plugged tire, get about 30psi each which will get you home.

jadmt

Reaction score
Yeah worth noting, I reinflate it after shoehorning it in there. It comes down easier than going up since gravity is working with it.

I do have OBA, but would rather not have to air it up if I have to use it, or have a deflated spare but the compressor isn’t working. Other advantages of keeping it inflated are it essentially serves as an air tank. Two flats and the compressor isn’t working? Plug the easier one, and then equalize pressure between the spare and the plugged tire, get about 30psi each which will get you home.
what kind of adaptor are you carrying to equalize the pressure? I never had luck with that on big tires to big tire.

2powerwagons

Reaction score
I have the same tires only the ATZ and have the spare under the truck. It's not fully inflated though. Not an issue for me as I have a big CO2 power tank in the bed.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
You can check out my build thread.
But basically I cut off part of the heat shield on the side portion.
Also when lifting the tire into place, I learned that as it's going up, you pull down on the rear of the tire to lift the front until it clears the track bar. Then it goes up in there a lot easier.

Users who are viewing this thread