Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

35" spare tire question

britome

Reaction score
I'm about to get new wheels and 35" tires for my 2021 PW that has 3,800 miles. Going to go with BGF k02 and deflate the tire so it can go in the spare tire holder.

Does anyone know if the current spare rim will accommodate a tire that is 35" x 12.5"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wobly

Reaction score
I put 315-70/17 Falken AT3W's on my truck, including the spare. I had to deflate the spare, but it fit. I think the KO2 runs a little smaller, so you should be good.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I have a BFG 35X12.50 17 KO2 on the stock rim and in place under my 2021 PW with full air.

All I did was trim some of the heat shield at the front. And when cranking the spare up into place, I raised the front/lowered the rear of teh tire to get it above the track bar, Once above it, I t just cranked uo into place. Just make sure its as far back as possible when in place.

There are pictures of this in my build thread.

Also if you haven't done it yet, when you get the tires on, have an alignment done and use the Thuren specs. 0.0 toe and 3.5 to 4.5 castor. I'm running at 3.5 on my castor.

Also run 45 PSI front and 40 rear. Seems to work great. I ran 40/35 for a while but it seemed it needed a little more air. When you load up the bed or pull a trailer, increase the air pressure.

jadmt

Reaction score
I run Toyo RT 35x12.5-17 and have one on the stock spare wheel fits. Toyo's run slightly bigger than KO2's so you should not have to do a thing. I did not have to trim anything just use some finesse getting up there.

77FFE404-A68C-477B-9BB0-6E8AB6BF2917_1_201_a.jpeg4831BD46-280E-43D7-B603-52BE09DA0CDE_1_201_a.jpeg

GeneralClortho

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and just remove the heat shield. Even if you beat the heat shield back, what is it really doing? Metal does not insulate from the heat so good and then you have an air gap there rather than cramming the tire against the shield and the shield practically touching the exhaust. I rotate my spare though so it doesn't spend all its time in one position anyway.

After fighting the darn thing a couple of times, I removed it and life was much better in that department. I was able to bring the tire up about another inch too and it is 4 times easier to get in and out.

britome

Reaction score
Got the 35x12.5 BFG K2. Deflated the spare to about 15 psi. Squeezed in with no modifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sherwin2004

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and just remove the heat shield. Even if you beat the heat shield back, what is it really doing? Metal does not insulate from the heat so good and then you have an air gap there rather than cramming the tire against the shield and the shield practically touching the exhaust. I rotate my spare though so it doesn't spend all its time in one position anyway.

After fighting the darn thing a couple of times, I removed it and life was much better in that department. I was able to bring the tire up about another inch too and it is 4 times easier to get in and out.

How did you get to those two bolts up on the rail? I can feel them but I'm not sure I can reach them.

GeneralClortho

Reaction score
Hmm, honestly I don't remember exactly, I just got under there and removed them. I don't remember it being too difficult.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score

You just throw the spare in rotation? Does the spare have tpms?

Users who are viewing this thread