Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3200 mi. Brokedown

jak

Reaction score
Bought a new 2022 Tradesmen 2500 6.7 in February, (that I never picked up until April because of the recalls.) At 800 mi. " service DEF " ******** came on. Took to the dealer and they did a manual regen, (which I could not understand what that would have to do with the DEF,) anyway, I was told no codes detected, good to go. Made a couple trips pulling the trailer and all was well, actually the truck performed better than my 2015. Last week, while on a trip, " service DEF " came on again. I pulled off the highway, found a place to unhook the trailer and looked up where the nearest dealer was. I jump in the truck and the effing thing won't start! So here I am with my wife, my son, 2 grandkids, 100 miles from home, broke down. All the "highway assistance, ram cares" or whatever it is called does is take your truck to the nearest dealer, that's it, after that your on your own. I made several calls while waiting for the tow truck, no compassion, no understanding and no help from anyone. BTW the dealership that the truck was towed to can't even look at it until the end of next week! I don't blame the dealerships, I blame the corporation. I am venting and giving you folks a heads up, if you break down be prepared for hours of waiting and be sure to have your credit card handy.

areuriding

Reaction score
Damn, yeah I been there. I went for a month without my Challenger.

Babyzodi824

Reaction score
Bought a new 2022 Tradesmen 2500 6.7 in February, (that I never picked up until April because of the recalls.) At 800 mi. " service DEF " ******** came on. Took to the dealer and they did a manual regen, (which I could not understand what that would have to do with the DEF,) anyway, I was told no codes detected, good to go. Made a couple trips pulling the trailer and all was well, actually the truck performed better than my 2015. Last week, while on a trip, " service DEF " came on again. I pulled off the highway, found a place to unhook the trailer and looked up where the nearest dealer was. I jump in the truck and the effing thing won't start! So here I am with my wife, my son, 2 grandkids, 100 miles from home, broke down. All the "highway assistance, ram cares" or whatever it is called does is take your truck to the nearest dealer, that's it, after that your on your own. I made several calls while waiting for the tow truck, no compassion, no understanding and no help from anyone. BTW the dealership that the truck was towed to can't even look at it until the end of next week! I don't blame the dealerships, I blame the corporation. I am venting and giving you folks a heads up, if you break down be prepared for hours of waiting and be sure to have your credit card handy.
Plz let us know what they find ours is a 22 Laramie and we’re having trouble with our particulate filter the gauge is all over the place and we just had to have a cleaning 2 weeks ago ($1700)and now my husband is in Colorado with the gauge red at 100% he’s trying to get it back for repairs this truck has drained our bank account

flan

Reaction score
Plz let us know what they find ours is a 22 Laramie and we’re having trouble with our particulate filter the gauge is all over the place and we just had to have a cleaning 2 weeks ago ($1700)and now my husband is in Colorado with the gauge red at 100% he’s trying to get it back for repairs this truck has drained our bank account
How many miles are on his truck?

baker01

Reaction score
This should have been covered under your warranty. If the DPF is plugged and full, they normally replace it. something does not sound right with your dealer.

jak

Reaction score
Will do. Good luck with your issues, hope they straighten mine out.

jebruns

Reaction score
I've read other posts like yours with a very much less than satisfactory service from Ram for these roadside emergencies. Very disappointing to read about them. Scary to know that Ram has no problem leaving folks out in the cold like this. I hope they get you back on the road quickly.

Babyzodi824

Reaction score
We have an appointment September 6th with a different dealership I really think they took our money and done nothing because when we first took it over to Bob Allen’s in Danville Kentucky, we asked him if it could be the sensor we were told no that the cold is coming up. What is the omissions basically needed to be clean they already knew there was a problem with sensors I wasn’t upfront about it, they could’ve said well. Your truck might not have a sensor on it which is this point I don’t think any of them really do but my husband is on his way home from Colorado should be home tonight. The gauge is still red. It still says 100% it has cut power back, but it’s not went into limp mode yet , so we will see and I will update as soon as I know anything

MtnRider

Reaction score
Did it turn over at all? If not, it sounds like a dead/bad battery to me.... I don't think a DEF issue will cause a "no start" condition, just limp mode.

jak

Reaction score
Did it turn over at all? If not, it sounds like a dead/bad battery to me.... I don't think a DEF issue will cause a "no start" condition, just limp mode.

If this is directed to me. yes it turned over fine and a red message came up on the screen to check ignition or something to that effect. BTW I just received notice on the current recall.

jak

Reaction score
I was told it is the ''transmission harness'' causing my problems. WTH does a transmission harness do? What would this have to do with a DEF issue or not starting? Any mechanics out there? BTW, harness is backordered with no ETA, unbelievable.

jak

Reaction score
I was told it is the ''transmission harness'' causing my problems. WTH does a transmission harness do? What would this have to do with a DEF issue or not starting? Any mechanics out there? BTW, harness is backordered with no ETA, unbelievable.

MtnRider

Reaction score

You need to scan it and come back with the codes for anyone to help you understand the issue.

jak

Reaction score
You need to scan it and come back with the codes for anyone to help you understand the issue.

Thanks, but I don't have the equipment or the expertise to do that. I was thinking maybe someone here had been through this situation and could shed some light. The service person is confident there is a "short" or some other issue with the harness but I don't understand how this would effect the DEF issue.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Thanks, but I don't have the equipment or the expertise to do that. I was thinking maybe someone here had been through this situation and could shed some light. The service person is confident there is a "short" or some other issue with the harness but I don't understand how this would effect the DEF issue.

No one can help you without those codes, it would just be guessing since you have a one-off issue with very little information. You can scan it with a phone app and OBD adaptor or have a local auto parts store do it for free, it's pretty simple. Or ask the dealer for the specific codes they pulled.
Either way, sounds like the dealer has it under control so let them fix it.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hi @jak,

We are sorry to learn about your vehicle experience. Please send our team a private message with your VIN if you would like added assistance alongside the dealership, we would be happy to help.

Blair
Ram Cares

jak

Reaction score
Never did get any response from "Ram Cares" even though they supposably opened a case file to try to expediate my repair. I finally did get through to the dealer myself and the "transmission harness" they replaced did nothing they are now going to replace the entire "engine harness". I was told they have opened a "star case" on my behalf so their technician can work with Stellantis and figure out what is wrong with this truck. Going on five weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread