Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.73 or 4.10 with Hemi

LightRacer

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a 2500 with the Hemi. The truck won't get a lot of daily use as it will be my secondary vehicle so mostly just used to on road trips and occasionally around town if my wife has the other car, but that won't be too often. We also plan to get a travel trailer in the next year or so, probably in the 25'-30' range. The truck this is replacing has only averaged about 5k miles per year so it won't get a lot of use. Which axle ratio do you recommend?

THC1

Reaction score
Guys are going to tell you this topic has been beat to death but I know exactly what your going through. I just ordered a Hemi with 4:10 and justified it like this with all of the forum research. I have a 35' TT that I tow and while this truck will be a daily driver, forum guys have stated anywhere between zero mpg difference and 1 mpg with this new 8 spd transmission. While I can't give your personal experience because my truck is not in yet, you already know it increases your towing capability by a few thousand pounds and I may want to pull my camper through the mountains some day so I'll pay 1 mpg difference and be ready if I buy a heavier camper or want it to perform better in the mountains.

whitexc

Reaction score
3.73's here. Going for all the fuel mileage I can get out of this pig to be. With the 8 spd I am confident it will haul and tow what I have just fine. My $.02

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

jadmt

Reaction score
4.10 all day long. I live in Montana where the speed limits are as high as 80 so pretty easy to travel 85mph for miles. I am running 35's but even when I had stock tires on it it was not over geared. Mine is an 8speed. Just completed to round trip road trips one going east then back home (over 400 miles) and one going west than back home (350 miles) lots of passes in Montana and Idaho drove the speed limits so anywhere from 65mph to 80mph and one trip netted almost 15mpg hand figured the other almost 16 hand figured. the trip going west does not have as much 80mph speed limit.

THC1

Reaction score
If you plan to order it, I would go with 4.10.

If you plan to search for one off the lot, I would pay attention to all other options and make the gear ratio the lowest priority.
Agreed...good luck finding one on the lot with 4:10 too. I searched nationwide.

LightRacer

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed all over the place but it does make it hard because I see points for both ways. I should add that I am probably easier on vehicles than many people. The speed limit around here is 60 and then 70 when you get away from town and when I am out away from town, I go no more than 75. I also will just be sticking with the stock tires and will definitely be ordering one too so I have the choice, if any of this new info helps.

THC1

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed all over the place but it does make it hard because I see points for both ways. I should add that I am probably easier on vehicles than many people. The speed limit around here is 60 and then 70 when you get away from town and when I am out away from town, I go no more than 75. I also will just be sticking with the stock tires and will definitely be ordering one too so I have the choice, if any of this new info helps.
Since you've never had one with 3:73, just get the 4:10 and you'll never have to question what if. Faster traffic merge, increased tow capacity, better mountain towing, 8 speed tranny makes higher speeds a non issue.....no brainer to me. I'm also extremely anal about my vehicles and paying north of 60 grand for something is going to make me even worse. My truck will never see anything over 75.

LightRacer

Reaction score
Since you've never had one with 3:73, just get the 4:10 and you'll never have to question what if. Faster traffic merge, increased tow capacity, better mountain towing, 8 speed tranny makes higher speeds a non issue.....no brainer to me. I'm also extremely anal about my vehicles and paying north of 60 grand for something is going to make me even worse. My truck will never see anything over 75.
I hear you. I have never bought a brand new truck or any vehicle this expensive before and I plan to keep it for a long long long time so I am being very anal about it too to make sure I get it right. All of those items you mention to sound like it would be a no brainer. I guess I am not that concerned about 1 MPG and maybe since I don't drive 80-85 like some people, it will get better mileage anyways. I guess the only thing I was concerned about would be the RPMs being high all the time but I didn't think about the 8 speed probably negating that. Thanks.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
You won’t regret either one. The 8 speed has a 5:1 first gear and a .64 eighth gear.

I wanted a 4.10 truck but I drove both. Not a noticeable difference on test drive. maybe if you owned both you could tell between trucks. But you’re not trading off much either way.

I got a better deal at the dealer that had the 3.73 truck and didn’t hesitate to jump in it. If I ordered the truck, I would’ve checked the 4.10 box, but it certainly isn’t a deal Breaker

406Linetrash

Reaction score
I had no trouble finding 4.10's. But in this region I think people go 3.73's more. I tow a lot a lot and live in montana. My father in law has 3.73.

Turning 35's at 80 and getting 12-14. I feel the performance bump is worth the what seems to be negligible mileage loss compared to 3.73

jm888

Reaction score
I had no trouble finding 4.10's. But in this region I think people go 3.73's more. I tow a lot a lot and live in montana. My father in law has 3.73.

Turning 35's at 80 and getting 12-14. I feel the performance bump is worth the what seems to be negligible mileage loss compared to 3.73
I am in the same boat here. Many people on here talk about these with 35's but I will just be using the stock tires. What is the effect of these two ratios on stock tires?

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
About a year ago I had the same decision to make. Then my wife said are we buying this for mpg or capability. I checked the 4.10 box and am very happy I did. Gives me plenty of power towing even in the mountains ( I tow a 9000 pound 30' trailer) and is very peppy off the line when not towing. After about 10 thousand miles I average about 12.5 mpg on 89 octane. The 6.4 Hemi with the 8 speed and 4.10 is a perfect setup. Good luck.

jadmt

Reaction score
I am in the same boat here. Many people on here talk about these with 35's but I will just be using the stock tires. What is the effect of these two ratios on stock tires?
i ran stock tires for the first 3000 miles and then went to 35's there is no discernible difference.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
It really just affects towing rating. 4.10 will get slightly worse mileage and pull more. Your only talking a few hundred rpm difference cruising

jm888

Reaction score
It really just affects towing rating. 4.10 will get slightly worse mileage and pull more. Your only talking a few hundred rpm difference cruising
OK thanks. Considering I typically don't go much over 70 either like the OP so that should help with mpg too.

Firebird

Reaction score
Agreed...good luck finding one on the lot with 4:10 too. I searched nationwide.
Took me forever to find 4.10’s, and when I did, I traded for it immediately! So very glad I did.

Users who are viewing this thread