Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

275/60R20 v 285/60R20

eatham619

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to go cheap on this set of tires for my 2500 Cummins. I live in PNW and have to go through snow, sand and mud. The transforce are trash after you put some on them and dont gain the traction needed.

I can get 4 tires of the Falken Rubitrek A/T 275/60r20 for just under $1k. I know these would be more narrow but is it even worth it?
OR
I can go 4 tires of the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 285/60r20 for about $1.3k.

My question really is, has anyone "downsized" their tire? Most people on the threads are big spenders and at the moment the wife and I can't just drop almost $1.5k on tires and labor.

Any insight and suggestions would be appreciated. If it is necessary to get the 285's I will, but saving a few hundred bucks never hurt anyone (but if it can injure someone due to failure I don't want to go that route).

On a side note, I saw this brand Venom Power, but they seem too good to be true for the cost. About $900 for a set of 4 285's.

Thank you for your time.

whitexc

Reaction score
Can’t help with your question/decision but usually you get what you pay for with tires….usually. Following for the narrower sneakers. I’m interested in what the peoples have to say.

Sent from me

TosaInu

Reaction score
Personally, I think the stock tires already look ridiculous on these huge trucks so if you go even smaller, I can't imagine how it will look and if you tow, width truly does matter for stability. If you haven't already, check with your local Ram dealer and ask explicitly if they will give you the "buy 3 get one for $1" deal since it usually ends up being an excellent price. Historically, I always used Discount tire but when I went to swap tires on my previous 2017 Ram 2500 back in 2021, even with the veteran discount at Discount, the dealer was several hundred cheaper (see my pic for the price I got on much larger Toyo tires). These tires are so great that when I upgraded to a 2024 Ram 3500 a couple weeks ago, I paid nearly $300 to swap them to my new 3500 and to swap out the crappy Firestone tires to my trade in. Anyway, never hurts to ask the dealer, my service advisor told me that she can always get the "4th for $1" deal if I ask for it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-10 174915.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-10 174915.png
    187 KB · Views: 23

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to go cheap on this set of tires for my 2500 Cummins. I live in PNW and have to go through snow, sand and mud. The transforce are trash after you put some on them and dont gain the traction needed.

I can get 4 tires of the Falken Rubitrek A/T 275/60r20 for just under $1k. I know these would be more narrow but is it even worth it?
OR
I can go 4 tires of the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 285/60r20 for about $1.3k.

My question really is, has anyone "downsized" their tire? Most people on the threads are big spenders and at the moment the wife and I can't just drop almost $1.5k on tires and labor.

Any insight and suggestions would be appreciated. If it is necessary to get the 285's I will, but saving a few hundred bucks never hurt anyone (but if it can injure someone due to failure I don't want to go that route).

On a side note, I saw this brand Venom Power, but they seem too good to be true for the cost. About $900 for a set of 4 285's.

Thank you for your time.

Falken doesn’t make a Rubitrek 275/60R20 in a LT tire, just a P rated tire. If you were really looking at the 275/60R20 then that’s likely the cost savings.

They do make it in LT275/65R20 and it’s actually taller and skinner than the OEM tires. That’s going to be a good size for deep snow. Otherwise I’m not sure you’ll see much difference between that and the OEM size of 285/60R20.

Personally I’d go for the AT3’s as $1300 for a set is pretty darn good for 285/60R20’s.

Users who are viewing this thread