Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2500 vs. 3500 Frame Brakes Suspension - Towing and Payload related

21Limted

Reaction score
This may have been asked, but I haven't been able to find the answer here. If a 2500 and 3500 are built comparably (in my case a limited crew cab w/ diesel & short bed) are the frames that different? or is it mostly just the coil vs leaf suspension that's playing the biggest role? I'm about to buy a 2500 but am considering spending a few grand more for the 3500 due to the significant difference in payload/towing capacities. I don't need it often, but I do own skidsteers, excavators, etc, and it would be nice to pull something heavier than 14k pounds if i upgraded to a slightly bigger machine or trailer. The 2500 would do everything I need it to do for now and most of the time i'm not towing anything. Considering the bumpy roads we around here I suspect the ride would be much more comfortable in a 2500 so that was previously the driving factor for the choice. I plan to keep this truck for a long time and would hate to feel the need to upgrade to a 3500 in a couple years if i start hauling around a 14k pound trailer more often, and now I'm worried about "future-proofing"...

So back to the original question, where does the huge increase in payload/towing come from? Are the frames that different or is it mostly in the suspension and the imaginary lines that truck manufacturers have drawn and move every few years? Would it feel safe/comfortable with 14-15k behind a 2500 Limited CC CTD or would I be pushing the suspension/brakes/frame to their limits?

yycdiesel

Reaction score
This may have been asked, but I haven't been able to find the answer here. If a 2500 and 3500 are built comparably (in my case a limited crew cab w/ diesel & short bed) are the frames that different? or is it mostly just the coil vs leaf suspension that's playing the biggest role? I'm about to buy a 2500 but am considering spending a few grand more for the 3500 due to the significant difference in payload/towing capacities. I don't need it often, but I do own skidsteers, excavators, etc, and it would be nice to pull something heavier than 14k pounds if i upgraded to a slightly bigger machine or trailer. The 2500 would do everything I need it to do for now and most of the time i'm not towing anything. Considering the bumpy roads we around here I suspect the ride would be much more comfortable in a 2500 so that was previously the driving factor for the choice. I plan to keep this truck for a long time and would hate to feel the need to upgrade to a 3500 in a couple years if i start hauling around a 14k pound trailer more often, and now I'm worried about "future-proofing"...

So back to the original question, where does the huge increase in payload/towing come from? Are the frames that different or is it mostly in the suspension and the imaginary lines that truck manufacturers have drawn and move every few years? Would it feel safe/comfortable with 14-15k behind a 2500 Limited CC CTD or would I be pushing the suspension/brakes/frame to their limits?

suspension is the only change between the two, and the HO option for engine and trans.

my 3500 runs at 65 psi front and back, rides great on 12 ply tires.. is it a coil spring suspension? no but its a 1 ton truck

also the GVWR has been argued to death from what i read not sure its true alot of it has to do with how much you can also register it for legally... coming from a cummins form thread.

AGAIN, i have no idea this is what i read.

For me better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it Capacity wise.

21Limted

Reaction score
Appreciate the response. That was my belief as well. But it puts me more on the fence about whether or not I should step up to the 3500. If it’s really just about springs and I’m not worried about DOT weighing me then I have options if I ever needed the additional capacity. Did you drive a 2500? If so, can you comment on ride difference? I haven’t driven a 3500 in the new 4.5 generation, but assume it’s a much stiffer ride. Most of my driving is without a trailer or heavy cargo and ride quality is a concern with our roads.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
Could always keep some weight in the back of the 3500. I wanted a diesel with a lil better ride and the payload of #2200 in mine is adequate for my needs. I love driving it every time I go out. Did a mix of hwy and rural country yesterday with a lil snow mixed in. Unbelievably smooth for spinning 8 lugs. I test drove both and thought the 3500s ride was remarkably good too. However I heard too many WAdot horror stories from friends so I wanted to keep everything under the 26,000# threshold. I doubt you'll regret either but if a skidsteer is on the hauling list I think 3500 would be wise.

yycdiesel

Reaction score
The 3500 has a 12" rear with bigger axle tubes, though they are necked down for the standard 8-lug wheels.

the 3500 only comes with a 12 inch axle with the max tow package i believe according to the online build sheets in canada if that matters.

AXLES Front (4x4) AAM 9.25-in. beam front axle with center disconnect (locking differentials on Power Wagon) Rear AAM 11.5-in. beam rear axle (2500 and 3500 limited-slip and locking differentials on Power Wagon) AAM 12-in. beam rear axle (3500 Max Tow)

yycdiesel

Reaction score
Appreciate the response. That was my belief as well. But it puts me more on the fence about whether or not I should step up to the 3500. If it’s really just about springs and I’m not worried about DOT weighing me then I have options if I ever needed the additional capacity. Did you drive a 2500? If so, can you comment on ride difference? I haven’t driven a 3500 in the new 4.5 generation, but assume it’s a much stiffer ride. Most of my driving is without a trailer or heavy cargo and ride quality is a concern with our roads.
I have driven lots of 2500 but never on a paved road, only at the mine i work at it so i couldnt tell you as the roads here are washed out terribly and they all ride like trash an f150 included.

21Limted

Reaction score
I doubt you'll regret either but if a skidsteer is on the hauling list I think 3500 would be wise.
my trailer with either the skidsteer or excavator weigh in around 10,500# which coincidentally was about the tow capacity for my Toyota Tundra. It didn’t like it but when I needed it then it got the job done, so I’m confident a 2500 could do it from time to time. But I tend to get carried away, so with my luck I could end up with a 6 ton excavator on a 1 ton trailer in a few years and then I’ll be pushing max again. Pricing it out it’s almost the same to go from a 2500 to 3500. I wish I could drive a 3500 CC CTD Limited but can’t find one nearby. I suppose a Laramie or above could be a good comp though. I guess I’ll try to find one tomorrow... I really wish I could find a dealer willing to let me hook up my trailer on a test drive.

i couldnt tell you as the roads here are washed out terribly and they all ride like trash an f150 included.
That’s how all the paved roads are around me every spring... nothing more miserable than getting tossed around in your truck everywhere you go.

yycdiesel

Reaction score
my trailer with either the skidsteer or excavator weigh in around 10,500# which coincidentally was about the tow capacity for my Toyota Tundra. It didn’t like it but when I needed it then it got the job done, so I’m confident a 2500 could do it from time to time. But I tend to get carried away, so with my luck I could end up with a 6 ton excavator on a 1 ton trailer in a few years and then I’ll be pushing max again. Pricing it out it’s almost the same to go from a 2500 to 3500. I wish I could drive a 3500 CC CTD Limited but can’t find one nearby. I suppose a Laramie or above could be a good comp though. I guess I’ll try to find one tomorrow... I really wish I could find a dealer willing to let me hook up my trailer on a test drive.

That’s how all the paved roads are around me every spring... nothing more miserable than getting tossed around in your truck everywhere you go.

Yeah permafrost up in the arctic circle makes it a nightmare in the spring, so much muck. we run 150 ton B trains and they shred the road.

if you use it once or twice i would go 2500, but honestly if its frequent i would go 3500. they ride incredibly well compared to old trucks only time i really notice a rough ride is on washboardy roads.. i just did a 8000km trip and my ass felt fine im 6'2 240 pounds for reference.

Good luck, if you were close i would let you tow or drive mine not a limited but a crewcab ctd lol!

Show us the new truck when you get it.

PS ask the dealer if the new 2021 have higher payload since the HO is getting bigger numbers possibly the SO will be too in the 2500.

21Limted

Reaction score
Yeah permafrost up in the arctic circle makes it a nightmare in the spring, so much muck. we run 150 ton B trains and they shred the road.

if you use it once or twice i would go 2500, but honestly if its frequent i would go 3500. they ride incredibly well compared to old trucks only time i really notice a rough ride is on washboardy roads.. i just did a 8000km trip and my ass felt fine im 6'2 240 pounds for reference.

Good luck, if you were close i would let you tow or drive mine not a limited but a crewcab ctd lol!

Show us the new truck when you get it.

PS ask the dealer if the new 2021 have higher payload since the HO is getting bigger numbers possibly the SO will be too in the 2500.
I think payload is really only restricted by GVWR in the 3500s, so the extra HP/TQ probably won’t make a difference. And I doubt my dealer would know, but a valid question that I’m sure FCA could answer. Where are those Ram Cares people when you need them..? If I go with a 3500 I’ll post my door sticker when I get it. Right now I’m being told delivery will be sometime in February if I order this week.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
the 3500 only comes with a 12 inch axle with the max tow package i believe according to the online build sheets in canada if that matters.

AXLES Front (4x4) AAM 9.25-in. beam front axle with center disconnect (locking differentials on Power Wagon) Rear AAM 11.5-in. beam rear axle (2500 and 3500 limited-slip and locking differentials on Power Wagon) AAM 12-in. beam rear axle (3500 Max Tow)

Nope.

Many, myself included, have confirmed that the 3500 SRW HO came with a 12" AAM rear end.

I don't know where you copied that from, but it's wrong.

From my build sheet:

1606970799582.png

Here's the info from the 2019 fleet catalog. The HEMI only comes with the 11.5" rear. The SO only comes wiht the 11.5" rear. The HO SRW comes with a 12" rear.

Stuff's bigger on the HO. Trans, transfer case, rear end. Possibly rear brakes but I've not confirmed via part numbers.

1606971236380.png

Attachments

• 1606971107705.png
    1606971107705.png
    148.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
According to the FCA , the 12" is only available with the HO. If you have a 3500 with the SO or Hemi it is 11.5"

1606972324219.png

yycdiesel

Reaction score
Nope.

Many, myself included, have confirmed that the 3500 SRW HO came with a 12" AAM rear end.

I don't know where you copied that from, but it's wrong.

From my build sheet:

View attachment 9004

Here's the info from the 2019 fleet catalog. The HEMI only comes with the 11.5" rear. The SO only comes wiht the 11.5" rear. The HO SRW comes with a 12" rear.

Stuff's bigger on the HO. Trans, transfer case, rear end. Possibly rear brakes but I've not confirmed via part numbers.

View attachment 9006

Canada build sheet my buddy

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

yycdiesel

Reaction score
To clarify, as I think that may have come off dickish I have no horse in this race. I was just spouting what was found when I looked into it.

I appreciate you updating me so I don't spout improper information in the future.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

yycdiesel

Reaction score
OK, but do you have an actual build sheet from a Canadian VIN$ 3500 HO?

FCA builds HO 3500 SRW with a 12" rear. I doubt there's a specific export version that doesn't have one.
Refer to my previous post where I agree with you and thank you bud.

I don't care, you asked where I retrieved the information and I provided you with the data.

Hopefully your night gets better seems like you're bothered later

21Limted

Reaction score
Seems like this thread went a little sideways somewhere. I think we can all agree with the information provided above from FCA, so let’s just move on. Thank you everyone for helping identify the differences. I found a 3500 which I’m planning to drive later today, but in the meantime I’d be curious to hear from anyone else who has driven both on rough roads or with a 10-15k pound trailer, and how they think the two compare

Madmax

Reaction score
I can only comment on the 2500, but my Laramie Crew Cab CTD with the tires at 60psi rides like a dream compared to my old Duramax. Even with the tires at 80psi when it came from the dealer it rode pretty great! The new trucks are night and day difference over anything a few years old.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score

These trucks are advertised to work, take it for a test drive AND TOW. Dealer be damned, if they balk, walk. If trucks are as capable as they say, shouldn’t be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread