Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2500 v 3500 I6 Turbo

enzogfx

Reaction score
Hey all - im looking at upgrading from a 1/2 ton Tundra to haul my travel trailer (9.5k). Im interested in either a Ram 2500 or 3500. I completely understand both can do the job. My question is, if both the 2500 and 3500 have the i6 turbo diesel (not HO) and 6 speed tranny... what is the biggest advantage of the 3500 over the 2500 if both crew cab, same trim etc.?

Any advice is appreciated

enzogfx

Reaction score
Payload and stability when towing go to the 3500

Ride comfort and likely somewhat better off-road performance go to the 2500

It’s all in the rear suspension
Thanks for confirming. I figured it was payload and rear suspension differences. If motor, tranny, gear ratio, are all the same.. tow had to be almost identical.

tchur1

Reaction score
To elaborate on @jetrinka - the 2500 will have a coil sprung or air sprung rear end and some (if not most) would say ride better unloaded.

The 3500 has a leaf spring rear end (with supplemental airbags if you choose that option). The leafs on the 3500 are very outboard compared to the location of the coils on the 2500 and therefore are much more stable when towing but have a more rough unloaded ride.

enzogfx

Reaction score
To elaborate on @jetrinka - the 2500 will have a coil sprung or air sprung rear end and some (if not most) would say ride better unloaded.

The 3500 has a leaf spring rear end (with supplemental airbags if you choose that option). The leafs on the 3500 are very outboard compared to the location of the coils on the 2500 and therefore are much more stable when towing but have a more rough unloaded ride.
Ahhh - makes sense. I appreciate the additional details. Given i will only be towing the camper on occasion, maybe 1 or 2x a month during summer and fall, i think the 2500 will fit my overall needs better.

Thanks again for the insights!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Dont let anyone tell you the 2500s are not capable they really are. 3500s are better for 5th wheels due to pin weight but there is no reason a 2500 would not be perfectly suited for your current setup

Btw payload numbers mean nothing axle weights is the important one.

Last edited:

BikePilot

Reaction score
Pay close attention to payload rating and make sure it covers your needs with a 2500 diesel. Many are around 2k lbs and it's easy to blow past that even with a small trailer once you also add people, tools, recovery gear, etc.

Imo the big advantage of the 3500 is that you can get the HO and the Aisin transmission. Way more durable than the 68 in the SOs.

Users who are viewing this thread