Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2500 Question For a Newbie

savaytse66

Reaction score
I finally got to see in person and test drive a 2019 2500 yesterday. A few observations and a couple questions:

1. Coming from a lifelong 1500 driver, I never paid a whole lot of attention to the heavy duty's. These things are huge! I like it!
  2. My dealer did not have one with air suspension on the lot, so I drove one with coils.. The ride is no doubt rougher than my Sierra 1500, but it was not nearly as bad as I expected.
  3. Where I enjoy the acceleration of my current 6.2L, I can see myself way more relaxed in the 2500. There was something therapeutic sitting behind the wheel of this truck.
  4. Does anyone know how much range there is with the air suspension? The bed is obviously really high compared to my 1500, and I would be concerned about frequent bed access and hooking up the trailer, at least with my current ball hitch. Does the air allow the truck to lower for manageable access to both the bed and the cab? Despite the running boards, two small kids and a shortish wife had some trouble getting in and out. While I was hesitant to consider the air suspension, I think it may be necessary for my usage.
  5. They did not have a 2019 MegaCab, so I looked at a 2018. I think it was a Bighorn trim. It did NOT have any floor storage. My salesperson thought the Megas did not come with floor storage because of all the room behind the seat, but I'm not sure he's right. Can anyone confirm whether the Limited trim, which is what I will be getting, has floor boxes in the Mega?
  6. The tow mirrors will take some getting used to.
  7. For such a large truck, I feel like it was pretty easy to maneuver. I was a little skiddish driving through the tight dealer lot, but this thing handled great.
I can't wait to get mine on order. I'd love to hear some feedback on the questions above.

Thanks

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Welcome!

I am moving from my 2019 RAM Limited to the 2500 myself... I know going from 4 corner air to coils is gonna be a change, but the Tradesman I drove was still nicer than my old truck.

The air suspension is only on the rear and not all 4 corners... FCA states "Bed Lowering Mode, Normal/Payload Mode and Trailer-Tow Mode"
I'd have to go back and search, but it really doesn't lower that far down, just enough to hitch up a trailer.

Power running boards are on the Limited, and there is a bed step on the driver rear corner.

I was doing some research on payload, but there are links to several different build sheets and the MegaCab only lists "Behind the Seat Storage / Bin "

texas.yankee

Reaction score
I finally got to see in person and test drive a 2019 2500 yesterday. A few observations and a couple questions:

1. Coming from a lifelong 1500 driver, I never paid a whole lot of attention to the heavy duty's. These things are huge! I like it!
  2. My dealer did not have one with air suspension on the lot, so I drove one with coils.. The ride is no doubt rougher than my Sierra 1500, but it was not nearly as bad as I expected.
  3. Where I enjoy the acceleration of my current 6.2L, I can see myself way more relaxed in the 2500. There was something therapeutic sitting behind the wheel of this truck.
  4. Does anyone know how much range there is with the air suspension? The bed is obviously really high compared to my 1500, and I would be concerned about frequent bed access and hooking up the trailer, at least with my current ball hitch. Does the air allow the truck to lower for manageable access to both the bed and the cab? Despite the running boards, two small kids and a shortish wife had some trouble getting in and out. While I was hesitant to consider the air suspension, I think it may be necessary for my usage.
  5. They did not have a 2019 MegaCab, so I looked at a 2018. I think it was a Bighorn trim. It did NOT have any floor storage. My salesperson thought the Megas did not come with floor storage because of all the room behind the seat, but I'm not sure he's right. Can anyone confirm whether the Limited trim, which is what I will be getting, has floor boxes in the Mega?
  6. The tow mirrors will take some getting used to.
  7. For such a large truck, I feel like it was pretty easy to maneuver. I was a little skiddish driving through the tight dealer lot, but this thing handled great.
I can't wait to get mine on order. I'd love to hear some feedback on the questions above.

Thanks

#4 - range is about 2 inches or so and is selected by a switch (or button if you have the AUX I/P installed) within the cab. It is designed to lower the rear end for hitching trailers, so don't expect it to assist with getting into and out of the cab too much.
#5 - Your salesman was correct. The Mega cab will NOT have any in floor storage in front of the seats like the regular cab. Any under the floor storage will be behind the seat and there will also be under seat areas that you can store stuff in. The seats will also lay flat completely (if you have nothing stored under them). The storage is going to be MORE in the Mega cab, but none of it is in floor except behind the seat.

savaytse66

Reaction score
The air suspension is only on the rear and not all 4 corners... FCA states "Bed Lowering Mode, Normal/Payload Mode and Trailer-Tow Mode"
I'd have to go back and search, but it really doesn't lower that far down

#4 - range is about 2 inches or so and is selected by a switch (or button if you have the AUX I/P installed) within the cab. It is designed to lower the rear end for hitching trailers, so don't expect it to assist with getting into and out of the cab too much.

I'm glad I asked about that air suspension. I thought it was the same as the 1500 at all 4 corners. Gives me something to think about. I just have a standard bumper pull utility trailer, so as long as I can hook that up easily... I just have a fixed ball mount right now. Would I need a drop mount given the additional height of the 2500, even with the trailer hook up mode of the air suspension?

#5 - Your salesman was correct. The Mega cab will NOT have any in floor storage in front of the seats like the regular cab. Any under the floor storage will be behind the seat and there will also be under seat areas that you can store stuff in. The seats will also lay flat completely (if you have nothing stored under them). The storage is going to be MORE in the Mega cab, but none of it is in floor except behind the seat.

I was a little bummed to hear about the lack of in floor storage, but as I think about it, wouldn't they be difficult to access on a regular basis with mats/floor liners on them anyway? I think the behind seat storage is far better than the floor of I had to choose.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I'm glad I asked about that air suspension. I thought it was the same as the 1500 at all 4 corners. Gives me something to think about. I just have a standard bumper pull utility trailer, so as long as I can hook that up easily... I just have a fixed ball mount right now. Would I need a drop mount given the additional height of the 2500, even with the trailer hook up mode of the air suspension?

I would hazard a guess you will need a drop... I need one for the 1500 to tow my 5x8

I was a little bummed to hear about the lack of in floor storage, but as I think about it, wouldn't they be difficult to access on a regular basis with mats/floor liners on them anyway? I think the behind seat storage is far better than the floor of I had to choose.

I have the Husky mats in my 1500 that over the bins, it really isn't all that difficult to life the mat out of the way...

Hopefully you can find a Mega Cab somewhere and you can compare the two... I considered the Mega Cab (the interior space is likely more akin to the new 1500), but it is really just going to be my wife and I with a travel trailer, I really don't need to putting that much extra stuff in the cab and I'd rather have the payload honestly.

texas.yankee

Reaction score

The in floor storage is not too difficult to access under the mats. But with the Mega can you get additional "features" I think. You have the fold flat capability that allows you to use the entire back flat, with the in floor storage behind the seat, but also you can just fold down the back portion of the seat creating an above floor "cubby" that is much more practical for things like groceries and such.

If you fast forward to about the 8:40 Mark on this video you'll see what I mean.

Users who are viewing this thread