Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2500 or 3500?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Relooked at ram brochure. do you need a mega or limited? If no, 2500 diesel crew payload is over 2700 and can pull over 19,000. Maybe that is way to go?

another thought. There is talk of a true 5th gen, and possibly new transmission options, in next few years. You could lease (2500 or 3500) for 2 to 3 years as a super long test drive and see how fits the family. Then actually buy another new one that is perfect based on what you learn..
I have a 2500 tradesman diesel crew long box 4x4 payload is only 2040 and max tow is 17.5k the brochure is good for nothing.... i have put way more than that in my truck without issue though, here is my old trailer i would tow with my 2005 2500 it is 14k with 2400lbs pin weight way over the legal weight it handled it like a champ

Attachments

• 09DE1FD9-881C-4770-AD15-82C961F00A69.png
    09DE1FD9-881C-4770-AD15-82C961F00A69.png
    2 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Frank

Reaction score
Relooked at ram brochure. do you need a mega or limited? If no, 2500 diesel crew payload is over 2700 and can pull over 19,000. Maybe that is way to go?

another thought. There is talk of a true 5th gen, and possibly new transmission options, in next few years. You could lease (2500 or 3500) for 2 to 3 years as a super long test drive and see how fits the family. Then actually buy another new one that is perfect based on what you learn..
That 2,700 lbs payload is a spartan truck. Throw in options and accessories. The door sticker on my 2500 diesel crew is around 2,100 lbs and I would guess my bed cover and liner knock off another 100.

I bought it to pull a large boat and a TT, and it will pull any TT on the market. My horizon for upgrading the camper is pretty close to when I would consider buying a new truck, and I'm still on the fence whether it will be a larger TT or a 5er so I may not even need to. The right tool at the right time.

I think loading those bikes in the bed is a temporary solution that you would regret doing long-term. I'd look at both TT and 5er toy haulers to get a feel for what works, and if you know you want the 5er and not a TT get the 3500. If the TT works and you are going to keep it as long as the truck, 2500 will work.

Chris.Gio

Reaction score
I have a 2500 tradesman diesel crew long box 4x4 payload is only 2040 and max tow is 17.5k the brochure is good for nothing.... i have put way more than that in my truck without issue though,
This is interesting to me, it’s like capacity is just paperwork. My read is the same frame, transmission & engine can handle wildly different weight (2500 vs 3500, removing major differences like dually or HO). In other words the 6.7 & REF can pull thousands of pounds more in a 3500 but what really is the difference? Obviously leaf vs shocks/airbags if equipped but no reason why the shocks/airbags can’t carry a SRW 3500 load (I think).

are the brakes different? Drive shaft? Axle? Front shocks?

would be interesting to know what exactly gives a 3500 higher GVWR when equipped exact same as a 2500. (Again, no dually or HO/Aisin.)

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
This is interesting to me, it’s like capacity is just paperwork. My read is the same frame, transmission & engine can handle wildly different weight (2500 vs 3500, removing major differences like dually or HO). In other words the 6.7 & REF can pull thousands of pounds more in a 3500 but what really is the difference? Obviously leaf vs shocks/airbags if equipped but no reason why the shocks/airbags can’t carry a SRW 3500 load (I think).

are the brakes different? Drive shaft? Axle? Front shocks?

would be interesting to know what exactly gives a 3500 higher GVWR when equipped exact same as a 2500. (Again, no dually or HO/Aisin.)
Paperwork is the biggest one but the HO comes with a bigger rear axle which has a higher carrying capacity.... the coils can handle more than they claim there is no reason other than legal reasons and registration purposes the 2500 cant have an extra 2000lbs payload

Last edited:

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Agree, but I really would like the exhaust brake since I live in the mountains. Guess there is no perfect vehicle that does it all. Thanks
If there were that perfect vehicle, I would buy it and the auto industry would go broke.

Frank

Reaction score
Paperwork is the biggest one but the HO comes with a bigger rear axle which has a higher carrying capacity.... the coils can handle more than they claim there is no reason other than legal reasons and registration purposes the 2500 cant have an extra 2000lbs payload
I wish there was a way around that. In my state you register your truck for GVCW in 6k increments. Doesn't matter the truck, doesn't matter if its commercial or personal. If you've got a 4,500 lbs F150 pulling an 8,000 lbs trailer you need 18k plates. If you've got a 8,500 lbs 3500 and never tow you can legally run 12k plates. Your truck being over 10k GVWR does not trigger a CDL by itself, but if I max towed with my 2500 I would need a CDL.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I wish there was a way around that. In my state you register your truck for GVCW in 6k increments. Doesn't matter the truck, doesn't matter if its commercial or personal. If you've got a 4,500 lbs F150 pulling an 8,000 lbs trailer you need 18k plates. If you've got a 8,500 lbs 3500 and never tow you can legally run 12k plates. Your truck being over 10k GVWR does not trigger a CDL by itself, but if I max towed with my 2500 I would need a CDL.
here if its for personal you can getaway with overloading but if its commercial you have get the payload upped to legaly do it, some specialty shops can do it

Highcountry

Reaction score
I know you're all discussing payload, but for those wanting to haul a heavy load in the bed of the truck while towing a trailer there's another option. My father in law tows a big fifth wheel and also wanted to take his Harley along. He bought what looks like a trailer, but bolts to the fifth wheel frame in two places. Basically an extension with it's own axle etc, but doesn't count as a double tow. It worked great and you can unbolt it easily. I don't know what they are called, but it was made in Idaho

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I know you're all discussing payload, but for those wanting to haul a heavy load in the bed of the truck while towing a trailer there's another option. My father in law tows a big fifth wheel and also wanted to take his Harley along. He bought what looks like a trailer, but bolts to the fifth wheel frame in two places. Basically an extension with it's own axle etc, but doesn't count as a double tow. It worked great and you can unbolt it easily. I don't know what they are called, but it was made in Idaho
Why not just tow in tandem at that point or is it not legal down there? Here i can and do tow tandem

Users who are viewing this thread