Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2500 Gas vs Diesel 4.10 vs 3.73 gear ratio

Vinny689

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram with the 6.4 and 4.10. I’m happy with it only have 1300 miles on it as I bought it Jan 20th. Pulled an enclosed trailer up and down some decent hills from Lancaster pa up to Binghampton ny. It did great. Pulled very nice wasn’t revving out too bad. Mpgs were only 9 but there was a bunch of wind and it only had 500 miles on the truck at the time. Maybe it will get better with break in. In town mpg is only 10 right now. Average highway empty is 15 but babying it on a flat highway I touched 18mpg. This is all according to the meter on the truck though. Overall I really like the truck and the power is good comparing it to my fathers 2018 2500 with the 6.4. He has the 3.73 gears and 6 speed and I would not buy one of them now after having the 8 speed. Have to remember not only the extra cost of diesel fuel, and the Diesel engine. But the oil changes are more. Fuel filters and def. I hope it goes 250k + miles and if I ever get there and the lifters eat the cam like a lot of people say they do I’ll just drop a performance cam and lifters and keep going. As long as the body isn’t rotted out.

AkFire422

Reaction score
Yeah I bought a 2020 2500 Mega Cab Limited with 6.7 CTD. I bought the 1500 version of it first, then 5 mo later I turned my vacation savings into my toy money. Bought a bunch of toys and a 8klb enclosed toy hauler. It took me a week to unpucker my rear, towing one time In Alaska with that thing. Took it to my dealer and bought the 2500 same day. This thing hauls my toys and anything else I need it to with ease.
The comment above about the engine break is accurate. The engine break is worth the price difference in my opinion. Have a 3.25” Carli Pintop level kits with Factory Air Ride. I can honestly say I will never go back to a gas truck. Take care of it when it gets Cold. Use the block heater and cold weather cover in when it gets below 20f and mine gets up to temp no problem. Even in -18f.

Jimmer

Reaction score
Yeah I bought a 2020 2500 Mega Cab Limited with 6.7 CTD. I bought the 1500 version of it first, then 5 mo later I turned my vacation savings into my toy money. Bought a bunch of toys and a 8klb enclosed toy hauler. It took me a week to unpucker my rear, towing one time In Alaska with that thing. Took it to my dealer and bought the 2500 same day. This thing hauls my toys and anything else I need it to with ease.
The comment above about the engine break is accurate. The engine break is worth the price difference in my opinion. Have a 3.25” Carli Pintop level kits with Factory Air Ride. I can honestly say I will never go back to a gas truck. Take care of it when it gets Cold. Use the block heater and cold weather cover in when it gets below 20f and mine gets up to temp no problem. Even in -18f.
I ended up buying the 6.7 too with rear air. You were able to add a lift kit to the air suspension and not mess it up?

mcspeed

Reaction score
mod edit - SPAMMER link removed

Actually ratios are the opposite. 4:10is a lower ratio than 3:73. 4:10 will pull out of the hole better with lower top speed.

3:73 is a higher ratio than 4:10 and will be slower out of the hole with greater top speed (i.e. 70 mph will be lower rpm than 4:10 @70).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

AkFire422

Reaction score
I ended up buying the 6.7 too with rear air. You were able to add a lift kit to the air suspension and not mess it up?
It’s from Carli. It is extremely expensive. But yes. It’s a level kit 3.5” lift in front 2” lift in back. All with custom springs, no pucks. Custom tuned King 2.5 shocks. Carli is the only company my dealer would accept for keeping warranty on everything. They have cut no corners. I paid $8k for the fully optioned kit, with torsion sway bar, high mount steering stabilizer, fabricated radius arms etc.

Should be in Alaska within the next two weeks. Ordered it in Nov. Again, this is the only level/lift my dealer would still warranty air ride system etc. check our Carli.

AkFire422

Reaction score
It’s from Carli. It is extremely expensive. But yes. It’s a level kit 3.5” lift in front 2” lift in back. All with custom springs, no pucks. Custom tuned King 2.5 shocks. Carli is the only company my dealer would accept for keeping warranty on everything. They have cut no corners. I paid $8k for the fully optioned kit, with torsion sway bar, high mount steering stabilizer, fabricated radius arms etc.

Should be in Alaska within the next two weeks. Ordered it in Nov. Again, this is the only level/lift my dealer would still warranty air ride system etc. check our Carli.
Sorry 3.25”. Not 3.5”.

AkFire422

Reaction score

Also my dealer said, I have to have a lic diesel shop do the install of the equipment. If I installed it myself, they could not guarantee my warranty on the Air ride would be safe.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Also my dealer said, I have to have a lic diesel shop do the install of the equipment. If I installed it myself, they could not guarantee my warranty on the Air ride would be safe.

That is great they will honor the warranty. I don't have air, but I expect my dealer won't cover much after the Carli kit goes on.

AkFire422

Reaction score
That is great they will honor the warranty. I don't have air, but I expect my dealer won't cover much after the Carli kit goes on.
Dealer would have to prove that the Carli Kit caused the failure. With their engineering and R&as, good luck to that dealership. Carli does it right. Unlike most other brands I have looked at.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Dealer would have to prove that the Carli Kit caused the failure. With their engineering and R&as, good luck to that dealership. Carli does it right. Unlike most other brands I have looked at.
That is correct in theory. I have had to deal with them on Jeep issues before and they didn't want to bend. It also pisses them off when you mention Magunson Moss act too. "You know, we have a list we can put you on and you will be denied all warranty". I didn't bother getting mad, I just took my new purchases elsewhere. That dealership has changed owners now. The Dominator kit involves some hacking and welding so it makes it easier to make claims for denial. Carli will actually be doing my kit at their site.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
That is correct in theory. I have had to deal with them on Jeep issues before and they didn't want to bend. It also pisses them off when you mention Magunson Moss act too. "You know, we have a list we can put you on and you will be denied all warranty". I didn't bother getting mad, I just took my new purchases elsewhere. That dealership has changed owners now. The Dominator kit involves some hacking and welding so it makes it easier to make claims for denial. Carli will actually be doing my kit at their site.

I think I would be tempted to choke someone that said that to me (in my mind it wasn't so politely put.) I would certainly take it up the food chain.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I think I would be tempted to choke someone that said that to me (in my mind it wasn't so politely put.) I would certainly take it up the food chain.
I contemplated a kick to the balls. Instead I laughed and walked away which was very unlike me at that age

Users who are viewing this thread