Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2500 Big Horn alpine bass very weak, suggestions?

Nova

Reaction score
The sound of bass is very weak in the 9 speaker alpine. The highs and mids sound great and overall I think those speakers are fine. The music can be played very loud and is not distorted. But the bass is pathetic.

I checked the eq on my phones spotify and adjusted it, I also played music on Sirius and FM radio to test different transmission quality. I maxed the bass out on the trucks eq but it still sounds like there isnt a sub at all. I even played heavy bass specific genres like house, drum and bass, and berlin techno.

Do I need to go aftermarket and install a real sub? I dont need crazy bass, but my stock 2019 1500 sounded much better and it is supposed to have the cheaper sound system.

Any suggestions?

Toyotaguy

Reaction score
When test driving trucks I noticed the same thing between a Laramie with the alpine and a big horn with the “6 speaker system” the alpine is definitely clearer and more crisp but the big horn had more balance between the highs and lows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokeShowJoe

Reaction score
My 2021 bighorn without the alpine upgrade, but with the 8.4 uconnect has a separate bass amp under the dash on the driver side. This amp drives both front door speakers that are factory loaded 6x9 bass drivers. Both rear doors are midrange driven by the uconnect along with the 2 tweeters in the top dash pad. I get good bass down to about 68Hz. And YES I think my 6 speaker non alpine blows away the upgraded alpine set up.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
My 2020 Alpine slumps. Anything more than level 15 will start to distort and old people start picking up their phones to call the police.

Are you using Bluetooth or cord? Radio? Trying to hit with FGL country?

Put the bass up and play "More & More" by TI or On One (feat A.D.) by E-40. If it doesn't thump something is wrong and it needs to go to the dealer for a sub replacement.

EDIT (also lol at "bass heavy" techno. Stares in West Coast MOB music disappointment).

SmokeShowJoe

Reaction score
My sound is the same... from any input USB/Bluetooth/Fm all sounds good. Remember you alpine sys. has a small cabinet behind the Pass. rear seat. Bass speakers only work well as a Bass reflex type enclosure setup in a car or truck. Bass speakers NEEDS to move large amounts of air for you to be able to feel that air pressure and create a good sound field. By having my 2 6x9 mounted in the doors the amp is able to move that air because my door is my speaker cavity. My factory sys. will blow out a lit match at 3" away from the door speaker while only driving the amp at 5 watts nominal. Its all about SPL or (sound pressure level). I don't care how big of a amp you use to drive your LITTLE alpine box behind the back seat your never going to get good bass from it. Remember my system is all "factory" designed by good engineers. Your alpine system was designed by BAD engineers... and so it goes.

lgarrison34

Reaction score
I installed a Kicker HS10 under the front passenger seat after relocating the jack to my Ram Box. Tapped into the speaker wires in the kick panel with a LOC (also provides remote turn-on) and got my power from the gray harness included in the auxiliary/upfitter kit. Grounded under the torx nut that held the jack in place. With the upfitter kit no wire has to be ran into the engine bay. Definitely provides the thump the Alpine system was missing.

MtnRider

Reaction score
I have found that just about all streaming services lack bass probably due to the compression they use on the audio. But with a good quality audio source my standard 6 speaker system puts out a decent amount of bass. Of course I'm not listening to rap or and kind of thumping music so I guess it's all relative?

SmokeShowJoe

Reaction score

Hey lgarrison34

Does the Kicker HS10 have a variable rheostat to adjust the cross over frequency. Your alpine head unit already has a rom chip in the head unit to set the cross over point for the factory base speaker. Which is not at all helping your 10" kicker. Try setting the the kicker to the highest frequency level allowed. Then only adjust the tonal qualities by using the EQ. of the head unit. This should help get rid of some of the thump and provide a much more richer tonal quality from your Kicker. I'm just not a fan of of any acoustic suspension base speakers. As a Mastering Sound Engineer, To reference... I tell people to go listen to an old Marshall Tub Type Bass Guitar Amp. That is what BASS IS PEOPLE... Thump is only a small part of that. When I do a live venue, I run a XLR cable out of the bass amp into sound board and sound the room that way as opposed to using a instrument mic in front of the amp. In any case give it a try and see if you might like it.

lgarrison34

Reaction score

Hey lgarrison34

Does the Kicker HS10 have a variable rheostat to adjust the cross over frequency. Your alpine head unit already has a rom chip in the head unit to set the cross over point for the factory base speaker. Which is not at all helping your 10" kicker. Try setting the the kicker to the highest frequency level allowed. Then only adjust the tonal qualities by using the EQ. of the head unit. This should help get rid of some of the thump and provide a much more richer tonal quality from your Kicker. I'm just not a fan of of any acoustic suspension base speakers. As a Mastering Sound Engineer, To reference... I tell people to go listen to an old Marshall Tub Type Bass Guitar Amp. That is what BASS IS PEOPLE... Thump is only a small part of that. When I do a live venue, I run a XLR cable out of the bass amp into sound board and sound the room that way as opposed to using a instrument mic in front of the amp. In any case give it a try and see if you might like it.
It does have a frequency nob that I do have turned all the way up and I adjust my EQ on the head unit. I used thump as a generic term here. I get a nice full bass sound out of the kicker.

SmokeShowJoe

Reaction score
Outstanding... I'm hoping that "Nova" who started this thread might be able to use the kicker as well.

Users who are viewing this thread