Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2500 and 5er pin weight

darrellr

Reaction score
Insurance is pretty much by definition, coverage for stupid.

This theory of denied coverage gets tossed around a lot, but like @UglyViking said, I doubt anyone has ever seen an actual report of being denied coverage. They cover DUI, then promptly drop you. Last time I checked, DUI was still illegal.
Agreed here. Insurance will pay, but might drop you after the fact. But I do fall on the side of not giving a attorney any extra ammunition against you in a civil claim. Jurors may not understand physics or towing, but if they hear you should only pull 14000# but you were pulling 15000#, it gives them something quantitative they can latch onto.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Agreed here. Insurance will pay, but might drop you after the fact. But I do fall on the side of not giving a attorney any extra ammunition against you in a civil claim. Jurors may not understand physics or towing, but if they hear you should only pull 14000# but you were pulling 15000#, it gives them something quantitative they can latch onto.
Last i checked you dont go through the court system for insurance claims… only if you are fighting a traffic ticket

darrellr

Reaction score
Last i checked you dont go through the court system for insurance claims… only if you are fighting a traffic ticket
I am not following you here. I said insurance will cover it. However, if you get into a civil lawsuit over the accident, you will be working through the courts (civil in this case, not criminal). You will be named in the suit as well as your insurance company.

SL1

Reaction score
If that’s the case, I have to believe If you alter your vehicle that would negate the payload rating also then? Lift kits, level kits, etc etc., it’s a slippery slope.

If you are towing within
the limits of your drivers license your good. That and common sense is what I always go by.

flan

Reaction score
I saw a guy post on FB he had heavier springs put on his 2500 and the installer even re-stickered his door jamb capacity label.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I saw a guy post on FB he had heavier springs put on his 2500 and the installer even re-stickered his door jamb capacity label.
I was just checking that out today. That is the first time I've ever seen that possible. I checked out the spring website (https://www.tuftruck.com/) but they didn't seem to have anything in the rear for the 19' trucks.

EDIT: Scratch that, just found them (https://www.tuftruck.com/product/ttc-1225-heavy-duty-variable-rate-rear-coil-spring-ram2500/) They don't seem to claim any numbers though.

amauri

Reaction score
Anybody can Photoshop that sticker, change the numbers and print a new sticker.
I'm no legal expert but I bet it is illegal to tamper with that or any of the other weight rating stickers and ID plates.

Those who do tamper with those stickers and then blab about it all over the web are very foolish to say the least.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Anybody can Photoshop that sticker, change the numbers and print a new sticker.
I'm no legal expert but I bet it is illegal to tamper with that or any of the other weight rating stickers and ID plates.

Those who do tamper with those stickers and then blab about it all over the web are very foolish to say the least.
Just to be clear, there are upfitters in the states where you can get your GVWR upped. My understanding is that they only worked on Heavy Duty trucks, not our "medium duty", so I was surprised to see this as well. Although, I didn't assume he was photoshopping and printing his own sticker after he shared both the brand of spring he upgraded to as well as the shop, but hey.

Bcrouse

Reaction score
That is 100% legal any truck/ coach upfitter can legally do that
I think some states require a State DOT inspector to “sign off” on it and change the registration, but you are correct.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Select builders (like AEV, ambulance and CC builders, etc.) are allowed/licensed to modify and assign new GVWR, but I'm pretty sure they then accept responsibility for those tared weights. I imagine they are also governed by FMCSA.

cdurbin

Reaction score
I guess what I was hoping to accomplish with this thread, was to see if the 3/4 guys on here are towing 5th wheels with pin weights between 2500-3000lbs and how they do. I don't want to get into the whole discussion about payload sticker vs axle/tire ratings and such.
We have a 2021 Ram 2500 Laramie (payload is garbage) and have pulled a 2018 Bighorn 3750FL with it.
When I did tow it, it was just me in the truck with absolutely nothing else. Airlift 5000xl's installed and a Demco Autoslider hitch.

Pin weight on that particular trailer is supposed to be 2,605 by itself. Tanks were empty as it was new (which is how I pull my campers all the time anyways), and the rest was loaded normally as well. This was what my brother traded his old trailer on in but was unable to use his truck as he was in the middle of replacing the transmission.

Taking it through a cat scale on the way back, total payload on the truck was actually sitting at about 2850. I think one reason it was that low is the fact that a vast majority of the storage is actually in the rear of the trailer.

Total round trip was roughly 300 miles and the truck pulled it absolutely fine. The only time I was even remotely concerned was one section of interstate that had bridge joints, potholes, and narrow lanes.

With that being said, keep in mind that this is a 41' camper and is in my opinion far too big for a 2500.

-Corey

Users who are viewing this thread