Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2500 and 5er pin weight

gimmie11s

Reaction score
My hitch is 200 lbs, i have a tradesman 2500 CC LB CTD my fiver is 40' and only 12Klbs with pin weight of 100-1200 lbs
im never at gross of the rv how do i know? i never carry a full black tank 80 gal, nor grey tank 40 gal i may take 40 fresh water on the next trip for showers
if we stop at a rest area for the night.
anyway the truck handles this rig GREAT! I do how ever plan on a shorter fiver 36 ft in a few years makes easier for state parks.

but for towing the fifth wheel is sooooo much better easier and no sway! love this over our bumper pulls

That pin weight is awfully low considering 40 feet and 12k lbs. How did you measure it?

I guess what I was hoping to accomplish with this thread, was to see if the 3/4 guys on here are towing 5th wheels with pin weights between 2500-3000lbs and how they do. I don't want to get into the whole discussion about payload sticker vs axle/tire ratings and such.

3000 pin weight with a 3/4 ton? lol. ... no chance. Can the truck do it? Sure it can... is it a good idea? Nope. Not with coil springs.. been there done that.

RAMNC76

Reaction score
3000 pin weight with a 3/4 ton? lol. ... no chance. Can the truck do it? Sure it can... is it a good idea? Nope. Not with coil springs.. been there done that.
Why do you say that?? A 2500 with a 6.4 HEMI has a payload around 2900-2300lbs. So why do you say that it isn't a good idea? Just curious

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Why do you say that?? A 2500 with a 6.4 HEMI has a payload around 2900-2300lbs. So why do you say that it isn't a good idea? Just curious
Yes you can do it if your axle weights allow it but put some bags on it and you will be fine

gimmie11s

Reaction score

If your payload is 2900-2300 lbs, why would you consider using a 5er with 3k pin weight? Maybe im missing something.

As a temporary thing, perhaps. But long term, you are going to need more truck if you plan to haul a trailer with that type of pin weight.

RAMNC76

Reaction score
If your payload is 2900-2300 lbs, why would you consider using a 5er with 3k pin weight? Maybe im missing something.

As a temporary thing, perhaps. But long term, you are going to need more truck if you plan to haul a trailer with that type of pin weight.
Guess I should have proof read my post before posting. Obviously I meant 2900-3000lbs.

UglyViking

Reaction score
So I think the argument is that the GVWR is 10k, so if the hemi weighs that much less, then you can add that much more. In the end both hemi and cummins variants would end up weighing the same, even though the cummins has less "payload" and more engine weight.

Now, I'll mention that the axles on the 2500 and 3500 are the same AAM 11.5" except for the DRW which is a 12". Lots of interesting data, according to the Ram tow charts (link).

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Guess I should have proof read my post before posting. Obviously I meant 2900-3000lbs.

Gotcha, however, again if your payload is 3000 lbs, you cannot haul a 5er with a 3000 pin weight and not be overloaded. At that point you'd be over by several hundred pounds if not a thousand once you add passengers and gear for a trip.

Some people dont care to be "legal", and frankly, neither do I BUT--- I hauled a 14k 5'er with my 2016 Cummins 2500 with coil springs and did NOT like the way the truck handled in tow. It had plenty of power, plenty of brakes, but the suspension was far too soft and was NOT confidence inspiring around the turns. Pin weight on that trailer was about 2800-2900 lbs.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
So I think the argument is that the GVWR is 10k, so if the hemi weighs that much less, then you can add that much more. In the end both hemi and cummins variants would end up weighing the same, even though the cummins has less "payload" and more engine weight.

Now, I'll mention that the axles on the 2500 and 3500 are the same AAM 11.5" except for the DRW which is a 12". Lots of interesting data, according to the Ram tow charts (link).

The 3500 HO SRW is a 12".

UglyViking

Reaction score
@Brutal_HO noted. It said "max tow" on the paperwork so I made the assumption that was the DRW with 4.10s.

Toyotaguy

Reaction score

I looked at the link when trying to find my max tow, then compared it to the vin look up. And according to the vin my truck can handle 1klbs than the chart. I don’t know where the discrepancy is but it is there.
7d52bcbf49f288478573912dc11a0a10.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2022 3500 DRW

Reaction score

I do believe the HO SRW with Aisin tranny has the 12” rear and the standard output SRW 3500 has the 11.5”. from all my research…the Ram literature is does not say for certain.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I do believe the HO SRW with Aisin tranny has the 12” rear and the standard output SRW 3500 has the 11.5”. from all my research…the Ram literature is does not say for certain.
It could be that. What I know for certain is that the 2500 and 3500 SO SRW trucks have the same axles, and the 3500 rear axle seems to be rated for about 1k more for the 3500 SO SRW than the same truck in a 2500.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
12" axle on HO shows in the build guides and on build sheets.

Sent from my work avoidance device using Tapatalk

amauri

Reaction score
We started with a 2016 2500 CCSB Cummins towing a 12k GVW 34' 5th wheel.
First thing I learned is that the pin weight listed by the mfg was nowhere near the actual pin weight measured at the Cat scales.
After we loaded the trailer with the basics and no liquids in the tanks, the pin weight was 2600 lbs.

Adding the weight of the hitch in the bed, passengers, a full tank and the usual stuff... the truck was maxed out beyond the 10k GVW.
It was under the axle and tire weight carrying capacity and had no trouble pulling or stopping that trailer, even up/down the biggest mountain passes. We towed that trailer with the 2500 for two years, it was our first 5th wheel setup.

With the 2600 lbs pin weight, the truck would sit perfectly level, front and rear height measured within 1/2" on all four corners.
But going over bumpy highways it would bottom out in the rear and bounce excessively.
I installed aftermarket shocks which helped with the rebound, and Timbren bump stops to reduce the bottoming.
But even after experimenting with different lengths and densities that Timbren was kind enough to supply for free, I was never able to get a comfortable ride.

I experimented with moving weight from the front to the rear of the trailer, but that would cause excessive chucking and make the truck unstable, specially on down hill curves.

IMO, the coil sprung 2500 rear end and heavy CTD engine (that reduces the payload), is not ideal for anything but the smallest 5th wheel trailers. I realize that many are doing just fine with a 2500 and a 5th wheel. Trailers have different weight distribution and some may work better than others. You just have to keep an eye on the numbers. Or just get a 3500:D

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
We started with a 2016 2500 CCSB Cummins towing a 12k GVW 34' 5th wheel.
First thing I learned is that the pin weight listed by the mfg was nowhere near the actual pin weight measured at the Cat scales.
After we loaded the trailer with the basics and no liquids in the tanks, the pin weight was 2600 lbs.

Adding the weight of the hitch in the bed, passengers, a full tank and the usual stuff... the truck was maxed out beyond the 10k GVW.
It was under the axle and tire weight carrying capacity and had no trouble pulling or stopping that trailer, even up/down the biggest mountain passes. We towed that trailer with the 2500 for two years, it was our first 5th wheel setup.

With the 2600 lbs pin weight, the truck would sit perfectly level, front and rear height measured within 1/2" on all four corners.
But going over bumpy highways it would bottom out in the rear and bounce excessively.
I installed aftermarket shocks which helped with the rebound, and Timbren bump stops to reduce the bottoming.
But even after experimenting with different lengths and densities that Timbren was kind enough to supply for free, I was never able to get a comfortable ride.

I experimented with moving weight from the front to the rear of the trailer, but that would cause excessive chucking and make the truck unstable, specially on down hill curves.

IMO, the coil sprung 2500 rear end and heavy CTD engine (that reduces the payload), is not ideal for anything but the smallest 5th wheel trailers. I realize that many are doing just fine with a 2500 and a 5th wheel. Trailers have different weight distribution and some may work better than others. You just have to keep an eye on the numbers. Or just get a 3500:D
First mistake was the timburns they are junk in my experience airbags are much better

amauri

Reaction score
I wouldn't say they are junk, just that they didn't work the way I wanted them to.
I've had air bags on several trucks over the years, they also have limitations.

UglyViking

Reaction score
First mistake was the timburns they are junk in my experience airbags are much better
This is a sidebar, so please forgive, but I had bought Timbrens and wasn't super impressed with them. While they helped with some sag due to my light springs in the rear, I felt they did nothing to help stabalize the "wag" you can get with these coil spring 2500s. Have the bags helped with the wag? I would assume so, considering they are mounted on both sides, but I've got no direct experience. I'm looking at doing bags and daystar cradles as I like to off road my truck.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
This is a sidebar, so please forgive, but I had bought Timbrens and wasn't super impressed with them. While they helped with some sag due to my light springs in the rear, I felt they did nothing to help stabalize the "wag" you can get with these coil spring 2500s. Have the bags helped with the wag? I would assume so, considering they are mounted on both sides, but I've got no direct experience. I'm looking at doing bags and daystar cradles as I like to off road my truck

Yes they help i have not put mine on yet but they help in other coil spring trucks i have had…. Timburns are fone if the truck is always loaded but empty its every little bump it bottoms out on the timburns and hits hard

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Run your numbers through this calculator and I think you'll find you're most likely overweight if your pin weight is actually 3K. I used this calculator to help me choose packages for my 1 ton before I ordered it.

Users who are viewing this thread