Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

245/70R17 on HD ram?? Why?

JKSchnoo

Reaction score
I’m looking at buying a 2024 2500 ram tradesman and I’m seeing so many with these tiny 245 tires that look absolutely ridiculous. I always buy different tire/wheels when I get a truck anyways, but I’m shocked that Ram could put tires like this on a truck and think it looks right. I usually at least like to wear out the stock tires a bit before buying new ones, but I don’t think I could wait with these.

I know that with the optional chrome appearance package the tires bump up to 275, but I would rather have the blacked out bumper and no chrome look.

Edit**Only question is if starting out with a 245/70R17 rather than 275/70R18 would limit future tire and wheel sizes? I assume there wouldn’t be a difference in suspension, wheel well size etc between the two tradesmans?

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Base model tires on a base model truck. Cheap.

The 275/70R18’s are also part of the snow-chief package on a tradesman.

flan

Reaction score
I ran them for about 10k miles they are tiny, I believe they measured around 30-31” tall. The truck never came out of OD towing in the hills with them little guys.

JKSchnoo

Reaction score
So there isn’t anything structurally different in a 2500 tradesman (suspension, wheel well size etc) that comes with the 245 tires compared to a tradesman that comes with the 275 tires right?

Same truck just smaller tires/wheels? I know the snow chief/snow prep package has some extras, and the chrome appearance group has some cosmetic stuff added.

I’m basically asking if starting out with the 245/70R17 tires rather than the 275/70R18 tires is going to limit future tire/wheel combos that I can swap in?

Last edited:

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Fleet sales
All about cost: cheaper tires, narrower rim, best mpg possible, lots of tire options, less wear/stress on components…………..

JKSchnoo

Reaction score
Fleet sales
All about cost: cheaper tires, narrower rim, best mpg possible, lots of tire options, less wear/stress on components………….
Makes sense. But starting out with smaller tires/wheels won’t limit the size of tires/wheels I can move up to right? I don’t think they would make a smaller wheel well or other components for the tradesman’s with the 245s I assume

G Mcpherson

Reaction score
You can put any 18 or 20 wheel without issue. Only tire size will increase your Speedometer which can be corrected.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Makes sense. But starting out with smaller tires/wheels won’t limit the size of tires/wheels I can move up to right? I don’t think they would make a smaller wheel well or other components for the tradesman’s with the 245s I assume
Nope, no limit, 35’s will fit with no lift!

79 300

Reaction score
You can order the 18" steel wheels (painted silver, not chrome) for $295 as well. If you want the 275/70R18 on off road tires it is $295.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
What are all the specs for your wheels/tires? Was thinking of doing 35s on an 18” wheel with a zero offset
wheels in the garage are factory takeoffs, just wheels, no tires.
18x8 are +54
17x8 +45.72

In the pic, the Cooper’s on the PW wheels were Lt 305/70/17

If you’re going aftermarket, I believe +27 is the sweet spot

Users who are viewing this thread