Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

24 Aisin Experience

jenninr

Reaction score
I know the subject of 68rfe vs Aisin comes up often. I don't have any experience with the 68rfe but I wanted to put my experience with the Aisin out there since I just bought a new 2024 3500 SRW with the Aisin and I regularly drive a 2022 3500 DRW and a 2018 3500 DRW, both with 4.10 gears, with the Aisin. The main complaint, if you want to call it that, with the Aisin is the slow and firm shifting when driving unloaded. Since my 24 is also my daily driver I was concerned about that, but I wanted the more robust transmission anyways and decided to live with it. I have certainly experienced the shifting issues with the 22 and 18 but this 24 is completely different. I'm not sure if gearing is part of the difference since the truck gains revs slower, but so far this truck shifts much smoother and there is less lag on the 1-2 shift than the older trucks. They have definitely changed the tuning between 22 and 24. You can certainly tell that it's a heavy-duty transmission and it doesn't shift like a Camry or anything, but it is perfectly fine for daily driving. I don't know how much this adds to the conversation about transmissions here, but I just wanted to put my experience out there and say that the Aisin has gotten better with each version I have driven.

dslbrnr

Reaction score
My 2021 shifts pretty decent but like you say from 1-2 sometimes can be a little less smooth. I've owned a few 68rfe's and I'm happy with my Aisin so far.
I wonder if it's in the tune on the 22-24's or hard parts. It would be nice if the dealer could reprogram that tune in the older models HO's.

Firebird

Reaction score
That's good to hear, my son's 22 is fairly harsh shifting.

dslbrnr

Reaction score
Firebird, I see you had a 3500 in your Signature. How come you sold it and was it an HO? If so how was the Aisin?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
My 2022 is certainly not slow or harsh when shifting, nor was my 2018. It’s really not even that firm, compared to some other transmissions I’ve drive.

My Aisin’s have always driven like a MD trans. The only real firm shifts I get are towing, but that’s better than a soft and slipping shift.

I did just get a software update a couple thousand miles ago and it’s a nice update. It feels like there is improved throttle response and an improved shift schedule when unloaded. No loaded driving yet.

Firebird

Reaction score
Firebird, I see you had a 3500 in your Signature. How come you sold it and was it an HO? If so how was the Aisin?
Mine was not an HO, but my son's is. I traded mine for 2 reasons, first, the endless regens were getting old, and second, we sold our camper, and daily driving a dually was just overkill. I traded back to a 2500 6.4.

Users who are viewing this thread