Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

22 Cummins Tune Install

Riddick

Reaction score
I drove the truck last night, only put about 15-20 miles on it but have a pretty good feel for it. Truck is totally changed, drives different in a good way.

First Impressions
- I will prolly catch crap for this but I swear the truck is quieter at idle. The best way to describe it would be adding insulation under your hood and engine compartment, its quieter all around but can still hear the old Cummins working.
- The first few miles the transmission was slightly confused as it performed a relearn, after a few stop lights it seemed to settle down and smooth out.
- One of the first things I noticed is the TC locking up in 2nd gear vs. 3rd gear, overall I'm a fan of the earlier lockup.
- Throttle input has changed drastically.... more than just sensitivity. In stock form the throttle seems to work pretty good for the first 10-15% of input, then there was a huge dead spot and it really didn't do anything until roughly 60% input. The best way to describe throttle input now is its 100% linear with 0 dead spots, it reacts to all inputs and is very refined and smooth,
- Gear shifts are more pronounced and are faster. They are not harsh or even remotely harsh but when it shifts you are in the next gear way faster. In stock form the clutches appeared to slip just a touch during gear changes, that has been reduced drastically but truck still shifts buttery smooth.
- No more lugging the gears. In stock trim my 68RFE loved to find the lowest gear and chug along. This goes back to my previous statement about throttle sensitivity. The throttle feels directly connected to the transmission. When you are accelerating moderately the transmission will hold the gears longer prior to shifting. If you drive normal it will still shift like OEM but holds off on going into 5th and 6th gears until you are at cruising speeds.
- I have not gone full throttle but can feel the added power in the mid range for sure, truck is definitely making more jam than stock. I rarely go WOT anyways but I am sure you will feel it but its still going to be a 8k lb sled and will not be anything fast. I have drag raced many years and driven many 8 sec street cars and am not expecting anything along those lines.
- I know there will be questions on fuel economy and to be honest I never track mine outside of what the EVIC shows (not accurate). On the highway I generally see 21-22 cruising around 70-75 so I will use that as a baseline but do not expect any drastic improvements here.

Once I get some miles under my belt I will come back and update this thread. After my first drive I am extremely happy with how the truck is performing.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great tune.

It probably is quieter. When I was tuning my 05 I worked on my idle quite a bit and got it to be as quiet as the early 6.7’s, maybe even a little quieter. It certainly didn’t sound like a HPCR 5.9 at idle.

As for fuel mileage, if the duration table was modified (may or may not have been based on how they tuned it) then the EVIC calculations won’t work the same they did stock. Another example from my 05, I was able to get the ~20% error it has stock down to ~7% error, even after adding BBi Stage 1 injectors, by working with the duration table. It might be worth doing a couple of comparisons between actual and EVIC for comparison… if you care.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Sounds like a great tune.

It probably is quieter. When I was tuning my 05 I worked on my idle quite a bit and got it to be as quiet as the early 6.7’s, maybe even a little quieter. It certainly didn’t sound like a HPCR 5.9 at idle.

As for fuel mileage, if the duration table was modified (may or may not have been based on how they tuned it) then the EVIC calculations won’t work the same they did stock. Another example from my 05, I was able to get the ~20% error it has stock down to ~7% error, even after adding BBi Stage 1 injectors, by working with the duration table. It might be worth doing a couple of comparisons between actual and EVIC for comparison… if you care.
I know forsure they change the duration table and that really helps quiet these trucks down

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I know forsure they change the duration table and that really helps quiet these trucks down

Usually timing and rail pressure are what will affect noise level. It requires “x” amount of fuel to idle and changing the duration table at idle just puts the tune in a different part of the table.

Duration tables are modified for peak power, and can be increased or decreased based on power goals and injector size.

I haven’t messed with the 19+ tables, but on the older trucks it wasn’t hard to get +100rwhp out of the stock duration table with timing and limiter modifications.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
I drove the truck last night, only put about 15-20 miles on it but have a pretty good feel for it. Truck is totally changed, drives different in a good way.

First Impressions
- I will prolly catch crap for this but I swear the truck is quieter at idle. The best way to describe it would be adding insulation under your hood and engine compartment, its quieter all around but can still hear the old Cummins working.
- The first few miles the transmission was slightly confused as it performed a relearn, after a few stop lights it seemed to settle down and smooth out.
- One of the first things I noticed is the TC locking up in 2nd gear vs. 3rd gear, overall I'm a fan of the earlier lockup.
- Throttle input has changed drastically.... more than just sensitivity. In stock form the throttle seems to work pretty good for the first 10-15% of input, then there was a huge dead spot and it really didn't do anything until roughly 60% input. The best way to describe throttle input now is its 100% linear with 0 dead spots, it reacts to all inputs and is very refined and smooth,
- Gear shifts are more pronounced and are faster. They are not harsh or even remotely harsh but when it shifts you are in the next gear way faster. In stock form the clutches appeared to slip just a touch during gear changes, that has been reduced drastically but truck still shifts buttery smooth.
- No more lugging the gears. In stock trim my 68RFE loved to find the lowest gear and chug along. This goes back to my previous statement about throttle sensitivity. The throttle feels directly connected to the transmission. When you are accelerating moderately the transmission will hold the gears longer prior to shifting. If you drive normal it will still shift like OEM but holds off on going into 5th and 6th gears until you are at cruising speeds.
- I have not gone full throttle but can feel the added power in the mid range for sure, truck is definitely making more jam than stock. I rarely go WOT anyways but I am sure you will feel it but its still going to be a 8k lb sled and will not be anything fast. I have drag raced many years and driven many 8 sec street cars and am not expecting anything along those lines.
- I know there will be questions on fuel economy and to be honest I never track mine outside of what the EVIC shows (not accurate). On the highway I generally see 21-22 cruising around 70-75 so I will use that as a baseline but do not expect any drastic improvements here.

Once I get some miles under my belt I will come back and update this thread. After my first drive I am extremely happy with how the truck is performing.

The trans tuning is probably the number 1 reason I want to get tuning and you're making it harder to wait lol. The stock 68rfe strategy is just garbage IMO.

Riddick

Reaction score
I can't say enough good things about the truck, extremely pleased with how it drives. I really haven't gotten on the truck... maybe twice at most. It's a definite bump in power but the torque hits so much harder now. I've towed couple of times and the exhaust brake seems to work smoother as well, with the factory tunes it was a little jerky while slowing down.

I haven't done any long trips unloaded, but today I drove it 40 miles on the highway averaging between 65 and 72. I reset the EVIC mpg to see what it said and I was pleasantly surprised. After 40 miles it read 26.6. I think in the past the highest the truck has ever seen was in the 24s so I think there was definitely a pickup in MPG. I understand the cluster is not accurate but it's all I have to go off of since I haven't hand calculated anything.

I was on the highway when I reset the mpg so that's one reason why it's higher than normal. However, before driving home I drove 6-7 miles in town grabbing a bite. On my way home I averaged the same speeds and when I pulled in my driveway the cluster read 25.9. might be a bit before I get to hand calculate a tank but if it gets anywhere around 22 or 23 I will be happy.

Attachments

• IMG_20231009_112122669_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231009_112122669_HDR.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 30

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I can't say enough good things about the truck, extremely pleased with how it drives. I really haven't gotten on the truck... maybe twice at most. It's a definite bump in power but the torque hits so much harder now. I've towed couple of times and the exhaust brake seems to work smoother as well, with the factory tunes it was a little jerky while slowing down.

I haven't done any long trips unloaded, but today I drove it 40 miles on the highway averaging between 65 and 72. I reset the EVIC mpg to see what it said and I was pleasantly surprised. After 40 miles it read 26.6. I think in the past the highest the truck has ever seen was in the 24s so I think there was definitely a pickup in MPG. I understand the cluster is not accurate but it's all I have to go off of since I haven't hand calculated anything.

I was on the highway when I reset the mpg so that's one reason why it's higher than normal. However, before driving home I drove 6-7 miles in town grabbing a bite. On my way home I averaged the same speeds and when I pulled in my driveway the cluster read 25.9. might be a bit before I get to hand calculate a tank but if it gets anywhere around 22 or 23 I will be happy.
Remember the millage readout will be off more than before since the fueling tables were changed but it will be better milage especially on the 3rd/4th setting if you have SOTF my readout says 30 but its 23-24mpg hand calculated on long highway drives

relbus

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience. I LOVED the CP tunes on my 2020. The truck was so much more enjoyable to drive. Only got to enjoy it for about a year before the truck was totalled.

I am having CP do their thing on my 23, this time they are doing the install. Also installing the banks monster ram intake horn at the same time. I am one of the unlucky guys who had their grid heater bolt destroy cyl 6 on my 2013 truck. Making sure that time bomb is gone this time around!

Riddick

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience. I LOVED the CP tunes on my 2020. The truck was so much more enjoyable to drive. Only got to enjoy it for about a year before the truck was totalled.

I am having CP do their thing on my 23, this time they are doing the install. Also installing the banks monster ram intake horn at the same time. I am one of the unlucky guys who had their grid heater bolt destroy cyl 6 on my 2013 truck. Making sure that time bomb is gone this time around!

Wow, first report of the grid heater bolt effecting any newer truck, sorry you had to go through this. I don't blame you for having them do everything, especially since you are so close. You should convince them to put your truck on the dyno with the intake horn installed. I have been curious what kind of gains you pick up from a performance perspective. Best of luck and you will love the drivability of the 23 once its tuned.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Wow, first report of the grid heater bolt effecting any newer truck, sorry you had to go through this. I don't blame you for having them do everything, especially since you are so close. You should convince them to put your truck on the dyno with the intake horn installed. I have been curious what kind of gains you pick up from a performance perspective. Best of luck and you will love the drivability of the 23 once its tuned.
2013 was the first year of the faulty gridheater setup so its literally the oldest truck not a newer one?

pete2833

Reaction score
Well…except for the fact that they will immediately be able to see that the ECM mileage doesn’t match the mileage on the cluster.
Also, I’m not sure if this is the same with the Cummins ECM, but as soon as a Hemi ECM is unlocked and installed on the truck, the BCM automatically changes and stores the configuration to reflect that an aftermarket ECM is detected. This setting can not be changed back to “NO” (without spoofing it with a can shield), even when I swap a factory locked ECM back in. So, they’ll see that right away in the configuration report.
Curious if you have AlfaOBD, what the “Miscel. Params: Aftermarket ECM Detected” setting is set to on your truck now that an unlocked ECM is installed.
View attachment 61577

Were you ever able to verify this ?
I will be tuning my truck with CP next week. Already sent them my ECM reads from the stock ECM and the replacement one.
I have made some changes to to the BCM with AlfaOBD. Will this matter @Jimmy07 ?
I can get you some reads after tuned if you want to PM me what to do

Pete

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Were you ever able to verify this ?
I will be tuning my truck with CP next week. Already sent them my ECM reads from the stock ECM and the replacement one.
I have made some changes to to the BCM with AlfaOBD. Will this matter @Jimmy07 ?
I can get you some reads after tuned if you want to PM me what to do

Pete
The BCM is under the dash it will not affect the ECM at all

pete2833

Reaction score
The BCM is under the dash it will not affect the ECM at all
Ok. Jimmy07 was saying that the BCM stores some info that a dealer may realize that you switched ECM’s when you reinstall the stock ECM.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Ok. Jimmy07 was saying that the BCM stores some info that a dealer may realize that you switched ECM’s when you reinstall the stock ECM.
Yea that is true but the programming wont be an issue just a digital footprint.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Ok. Just checking. When I need warranty work I hope my dealer doesn’t look at that.
They may but if you are removing factory tuning you likely wont have engine/ trans issues so the dealer should not be looking at the ECM logs

Users who are viewing this thread