Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

22 6.7 “making oil”

downsc123

Reaction score
Thank you for posting this! Would you mind sharing how over full your oil level was? Also was it extremely thin when cold and extremely thin? I have not been able to test mine but I am curious how it would compare.
I did not let it get to that point - I drained out oil over 3 different cases over the 5000 miles I have on this oil - twice it was 16 oz and one time it was about 8 oz

downsc123

Reaction score
Just talked to my local dealer about my oil sample results and they agreed to bring it in and look at it - first available appointment is 5/14 - they want me to keep the oil that I have in there so they can draw their own sample - anyone think that its a bad idea to keep driving it about 20 miles a day for the next 3 weeks with a 7.7% fuel dilution in the oil?

Units

Reaction score
Just talked to my local dealer about my oil sample results and they agreed to bring it in and look at it - first available appointment is 5/14 - they want me to keep the oil that I have in there so they can draw their own sample - anyone think that its a bad idea to keep driving it about 20 miles a day for the next 3 weeks with a 7.7% fuel dilution in the oil?
So you’ve changed the oil 3 times in 5k miles or just drained a little out? I’m not a mechanic by no means but Cummins clearly states 5% max fuel dilution, so I would say it’s absolutely a bad idea.

downsc123

Reaction score
So you’ve changed the oil 3 times in 5k miles or just drained a little out? I’m not a mechanic by no means but Cummins clearly states 5% max fuel dilution, so I would say it’s absolutely a bad idea.
just drained a little out over 3 separate occasions to ensure I was below max full - so the oil in there is 5000 miles old and shows a 7.7% dilution.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
just drained a little out over 3 separate occasions to ensure I was below max full - so the oil in there is 5000 miles old and shows a 7.7% dilution.

Change it ASAP.

The distance between ADD and FULL is 2 quarts. If your oil goes up by a .6 quarts you have potential for 5% oil dilution. Monitor the oil for growing that much.

Always check overnight, in the same spot. Try to check the oil on the first pull, instead of the pull/wipe/insert/pull method.

LaB345

Reaction score
Let me share my experience with the whole “making oil” and frequent regen issue. It’s a lengthy story but I’ll try to only include the important parts.

I have a 21 Ram SO. It worked exactly as it should until Last April (2023) never registered any soot load on the dpf and only did a regen about every 20-24 hrs to my knowledge. I changed the oil and air filter still had original air filter in it which was orange foam no glue strips and put a new one in I got from the dealer. Black foam with glue strips. I then took my truck to the dealer a couple weeks later for a recall and they told me they “flashed” the computer for latest updates.

About a month later was when I noticed it was doing Regens more often. About a month after this I asked the dealer about it and they just said some of them do that. I kept track and it seemed to me as if it operated on a timer. The truck would not go over 6 hrs without doing a regen unless I was towing my trailer. As soon as I wasn’t towing my trailer the dpf would shoot right up and go into a regen.

Then in August I checked the oil before a trip and I’ll admit I hadn’t checked it in about a month and a half and it was very high. I thought maybe an injector. Took it to the dealer the next day and they actually checked me in with the work order stating “making oil”. They checked the truck out and said there was nothing wrong, changed the oil which had about 4.5k on it and I went on my way. I monitored the oil after this and noticed it only gained oil after it performed a regen.

A month goes by I get a check engine light one day. So I drop it off at the dealer that night, next morning they call and say it was for the turbo speed sensor but that there was a new flash for the computer to help with my regens, and it did. After this it would go 12-16 hrs between regens which was twice as long as before depending if I was towing or not.

December I changed my oil again and sent a sample out. Came back as having <0.5 fuel dilution which was fine but it still wasn’t making it to the 24 hour mark between regens. It still was like clockwork the dpf would stay at 0 for about the first 8 hrs and then climb quickly and go into a regen at 12 Hrs.

Just about two months ago I changed the air filter(using the one without glue strips) and CCV filter (was oil logged) as you all recommended on here and now my truck is right back on the dot at 24 hr regens with little or no soot load on the dpf. And the truck acts like it used to. Better throttle response, better fuel mileage and no quick shifts with lugging, all things I had been experiencing. I guess my whole point is the filter is part of the equation but also the version of software the truck is running. That started the problems and then fixed them along with the proper air filter. Just coincidence that I had changed to the wrong air filter the same time the computer was flashed with what I will call very bad programming.

Last edited:

CdnHO

Reaction score
I might be wrong but the regen timing is also determined by the soot load which is effected by operating conditions. I honestly don't trust the DPF gauge. Like the oil gauge it is designed to make you happy. I exagerate but you these trucks rely on to many computers. The old analog stuff told you the truth.

baker01

Reaction score
er registered any soot load on the dpf and only did a regen about every 20-24 hrs to my knowledge. I changed the oil and air filter still had original air filter in it which was orange foam no glue strips and put a new one in I got from the dealer.
Let me share my experience with the whole “making oil” and frequent regen issue. It’s a lengthy story but I’ll try to only include the important parts. I have a 21 Ram SO. It worked exactly as it should until Last April (2023) never registered any soot load on the dpf and only did a regen about every 20-24 hrs to my knowledge. I changed the oil and air filter still had original air filter in it which was orange foam no glue strips and put a new one in I got from the dealer. Black foam with glue strips. I then took my truck to the dealer a couple weeks later for a recall and they told me they “flashed” the computer for latest updates. About a month later was when I noticed it was doing Regens more often. About a month after this I asked the dealer about it and they just said some of them do that. I kept track and it seemed to me as if it operated on a timer. The truck would not go over 6 hrs without doing a regen unless I was towing my trailer. As soon as I wasn’t towing my trailer the dpf would shoot right up and go into a regen. Then in August I checked the oil before a trip and I’ll admit I hadn’t checked it in about a month and a half and it was very high. I thought maybe an injector. Took it to the dealer the next day and they actually checked me in with the work order stating “making oil”. They checked the truck out and said there was nothing wrong, changed the oil which had about 4.5k on it and I went on my way. I monitored the oil after this and noticed it only gained oil after it performed a regen. A month goes by I get a check engine light one day. So I drop it off at the dealer that night, next morning they call and say it was for the turbo speed sensor but that there was a new flash for the computer to help with my regens, and it did. After this it would go 12-16 hrs between regens which was twice as long as before depending if I was towing or not. December I changed my oil again and sent a sample out. Came back as having <0.5 fuel dilution which was fine but it still wasn’t making it to the 24 hour mark between regens. It still was like clockwork the dpf would stay at 0 for about the first 8 hrs and then climb quickly and go into a regen at 12 Hrs. Just about two months ago I changed the air filter(using the one without glue strips) and CCV filter (was oil logged) as you all recommended on here and now my truck is right back on the dot at 24 hr regens with little or no soot load on the dpf. And the truck acts like it used to. Better throttle response, better fuel mileage and no quick shifts with lugging, all things I had been experiencing. I guess my whole point is the filter is part of the equation but also the version of software the truck is running. That started the problems and then fixed them along with the proper air filter. Just coincidence that I had changed to the wrong air filter the same time the computer was flashed with what I will call very bad programming.
Did you change the CCV? how many total miles on the truck when you discovered that it was oil logged?

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
I highly doubt the air filter would cause this at all. There might be some correlation with the increased or decreased air intake sensor changing parameters but the engine is forced induction so it’s not going to matter much, if at all. It’s all software and driving habits. As many have said, fix the software and the gov has forced this garbage on us which doesn’t work in low load, short trip situations. You are better off getting rid of this stuff as a private owner if you don’t plan on towing a lot or going gas.

LaB345

Reaction score
Yes I changed the CCV also. No oil in the turbo though. The truck had 29k on it at that point. Back when the problems started about a year ago it had 18k on it.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
I highly doubt the air filter would cause this at all. There might be some correlation with the increased or decreased air intake sensor changing parameters but the engine is forced induction so it’s not going to matter much, if at all. It’s all software and driving habits. As many have said, fix the software and the gov has forced this garbage on us which doesn’t work in low load, short trip situations. You are better off getting rid of this stuff as a private owner if you don’t plan on towing a lot or going gas.
I completely agree. My dealer tech swapped out the factory orange/no strip AF with a new OEM orange/no strip AF, and they replaced both the MAFS and the boost tube with zero improvement. As I've mentioned in earlier posts, the only that has 'fixed' my regen issue so far is replacing the DPF. However, my suspicion is that the failed DPF is a symptom rather than a cause. I hope I'm wrong, but only time will tell.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
I completely agree. My dealer tech swapped out the factory orange/no strip AF with a new OEM orange/no strip AF, and they replaced both the MAFS and the boost tube with zero improvement. As I've mentioned in earlier posts, the only that has 'fixed' my regen issue so far is replacing the DPF. However, my suspicion is that the failed DPF is a symptom rather than a cause. I hope I'm wrong, but only time will tell.

I mentioned in another post I was at the local CJDR dealer and a newer service advisor and I chatted for a bit. I asked him about the DPF issues and he said they are constant- force regen, flash and go on the way. He said they have replaced a lot if it continues. He even said lots of issues with the 3.6 and hemi engine replacements and ZF8’s in the 1500 model. I’m assuming just poor quality junk produced by Stellantis. The Cummins issue isn’t all their fault, it’s our government but they likely could
Do a better job with software but I’m assuming they are cautious due to past emissions lawsuits.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
You can just about be assured you already have some level of premature bearing wear with fuel that high. The pushrods and rockers are very susceptible to premature wear from thinning / shearing of the engine oil as well. I would want everything inspected.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I mentioned in another post I was at the local CJDR dealer and a newer service advisor and I chatted for a bit. I asked him about the DPF issues and he said they are constant- force regen, flash and go on the way. He said they have replaced a lot if it continues. He even said lots of issues with the 3.6 and hemi engine replacements and ZF8’s in the 1500 model. I’m assuming just poor quality junk produced by Stellantis. The Cummins issue isn’t all their fault, it’s our government but they likely could
Do a better job with software but I’m assuming they are cautious due to past emissions lawsuits.
Forced regeneration (aka stationary desoot) rarely, if ever, fixes anything with these issues. It’s just a temporary bandaid at best. The dealers are not adequately equipped, trained, or prepared to properly diagnose these types of issues. If its warranty work, it pays half the normal rate and most do not want to invest the time. These issues are either component quality / performance malfunctions or issues specific to something Ram has done. There are millions of trucks and equipment out there operating flawlessly with emissions equipment in place.

flan

Reaction score
It amazes me the speed the rockers operate at and the simple function of them wear to the point the assembly makes noise but the turbo that spins around 180,000rpm survives.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
It amazes me the speed the rockers operate at and the simple function of them wear to the point the assembly makes noise but the turbo that spins around 180,000rpm survives.
I’m sure the bearings in the turbo would also show signs of wear. Fuel dilution is hard on anything that’s lubricated.

Users who are viewing this thread