Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

22 6.7 “making oil”

Glassman

Reaction score
22 Ram 2500 with under 9k miles that has been experiencing excessive regens. It is at the dealership again making the 4th attempt at the issue. This is the cold oil level taken after setting level. According to the dealership they consider it a “normal level”. It is so thin it will hardly stay on the stick and smells more like diesel than oil.

Attachments

• IMG_1210.jpeg
    IMG_1210.jpeg
    711.7 KB · Views: 68

BamaOEF

Reaction score
Recommend you send in an oil sample to verify and have as evidence. Blackstone is one. Check out the other posts concerning damaged engines from excess fuel in the oil.

Glassman

Reaction score
I requested a sample and the filter. It is still at the dealership. I took the picture with my plate for verification since the dealership has already noted on a previous w/o customer mentioning oil overfull but it checks fine.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
I think you should look for another dealer that takes these kinds of things seriously instead of bullshi**ing you. I had the same issue and my dealership/service manager took it very seriously. They tried a number of things to remedy it (opened 3 STAR cases that I'm aware of) and finally replaced the DPF which seems to have fixed the regen/oil dilution problem. At least for now.

CdnHO

Reaction score
An oil sample is a great idea and eliminates the "it's normal" excuse. The level on that dipstick is not normal unless it was over filled at the last oil change. Excessive fuel dilution can ruin the engine. Once you get the sample, change the oil.

Glassman

Reaction score
An oil sample is a great idea and eliminates the "it's normal" excuse. The level on that dipstick is not normal unless it was over filled at the last oil change. Excessive fuel dilution can ruin the engine. Once you get the sample, change the oil.
This is still factory oil

Glassman

Reaction score
I think you should look for another dealer that takes these kinds of things seriously instead of bullshi**ing you. I had the same issue and my dealership/service manager took it very seriously. They tried a number of things to remedy it (opened 3 STAR cases that I'm aware of) and finally replaced the DPF which seems to have fixed the regen/oil dilution problem. At least for now.
We unfortunately have no dealers within a 100mi that have real diesel techs. I asked my ram cares case manager when Ram was going to get more involved he only says they are doing all they can and is so sorry I have to go through this

CaptainMike

Reaction score
We unfortunately have no dealers within a 100mi that have real diesel techs. I asked my ram cares case manager when Ram was going to get more involved he only says they are doing all they can and is so sorry I have to go through this
Such horrible customer service. I, too, am sorry you're going through this, with the difference between me and cRam Cares is that I am sincere.

CdnHO

Reaction score
This is still factory oil
That eliminates the "overfill at last change" cause. I have to agree with the folks above, if the current dealer is jerking you around, go elsewhere. If "elsewhere not an option , I know I sound like a broken record and as others have mentioned, but the best proof of an issue is an oil sample report. If the dealer refuses I would go with a syphone hose and get the sample myself through the dipstick tube. Assuming it is still at the dealership.

Units

Reaction score
I agree with the above, change the oil - make sure you drain it long enough - and get a sample. You may already be but I would make sure to document everything, take pictures, note people you’ve talked to and dates and get documentation from the dealership every time you take it there. Hopefully you get this resolved sooner than later, these trucks cost way too much to not be able to use it.

Glassman

Reaction score
I really appreciate the reply’s and advice. My concern of testing myself is there is little to no proof of where the sample came from. Also same thing with changing the oil on my own. I am expecting the dealership to note the oil level correctly and changing it this time. I think someone was lazy or forgot and just documented it as normal the previous time.

Enve46

Reaction score
Your other option is take the sample directly from the truck in front of the tech and service manager. Being polite here will get you further, despite the frustration it may cause. Giving benefit of the doubt that they actually don’t know what’s wrong either and working together to figure it out may get you further. Oil sample will give you proof of contamination and where to move from there. Being others have had their DPF replaced tells me STAR has an idea of routes to takes

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Leave the truck parked overnight at the dealership on level ground.

In the morning document the oil level. Drive the truck until it’s warm. Have them change the oil, and get you a sample part way thru the drain. Ask them to drain the oil for the full 30 minutes recommended.

Leave the truck overnight on level ground again. The next morning document the oil level with them and get back to driving. Wait on the sample results.

downsc123

Reaction score
Seeing all these threads on here about frequent regens and that leading to fuel dilution in the oil, I decided to send in a sample of my oil (got the fleetguard prepaid kit from Genos). In the winter months where I don't tow anything heavy, I have been getting an active Regen every 200 miles. Current oil has just under 5000 miles on it (I have a drain valve installed so I can pull a sample without dumping all the oil). Sample game back 'critical' for fuel dilution at 7.7 percent GC - Cummins says in their tech bulletin to never exceed 5 percent. Also potassium came back 'abnormal' at 61 ppm (thinking small coolant leak maybe). Rest was normal values. Sharing this for info and any thoughts.

Glassman

Reaction score
Thank you for posting this! Would you mind sharing how over full your oil level was? Also was it extremely thin when cold and extremely thin? I have not been able to test mine but I am curious how it would compare.

Users who are viewing this thread