Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'22 2500 - Lost forward drive gear

CforHD

Reaction score
Hi all,

I post this as I'm waiting for roadside assistance (if they ever show...) since I have lost forward drive. I was going down a hill, felt a down-shift, and then lost drive (pressing the accelerator only revs the engine).

Truck is 2022 RAM 2500 with the Cummins. Has less than 7k miles on it.

It will go into and move in reverse but not drive (D). I've tried turning the truck off, cycling through the gears, and even putting the T-case in Neutral but nothing has worked. There is a "clunk" when going from N to 2WD which leads me to believe things are spinning. Would love to be able to limp it to a delearship if possible.

Anyone have any "quick fixes"? Is this transmission really this bad? Has anyone else experienced the same?

Last edited:

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
who knows with a new truck. use that reverse gear and drive to to a close dealer lol

Riddick

Reaction score
I am really sorry to hear this I know you must be frustrated. This is one of my biggest fears since the 68RFE does not have the greatest reputation. I had a small scare the other day when I was backed on a slight incline. I hopped in and placed the truck in R, as soon as I let off the brake the truck rolled forward and the engine reved as if it was in neutral when I hit the gas. Luckily for me after placing the truck in P then back to R everything worked normal. I am 100% positive the truck was in R the first time since my camera was on and the individual spotting me to hook up a trailer confirmed my reverse lights were on as I was rolling forward..... lol. FWIW, I have a 22' with 3700 miles on it.

Users who are viewing this thread