Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

21 PW EGR Delete??

JE_75PW

Reaction score
With fuel prices headed toward arm & leg + first born, I was thinking about how to improve the milage.
What can I pull off this thing without causing to many issues? Warranty, rough idle, droning. Etc.
-EGR? Looks to be an easy delete, outside of tuning. ( I've read that it doesn't make a difference, i can't see how it doesn't, exhaust gas is put back into the engine to be burnt again, that can't be improving millage)
-Exhaust: headers, cats, resanator, muffler
-Switch to electric fan?
- cold air intake

Currently getting
8 mpg in town
11 on hwy
On 35s
Any thoughts

MtnRider

Reaction score
Probably not what you want to hear but the only/best thing you can really do is go to a smaller, less aggressive tire. There will be no return on investment with anything else, it's a losing battle chasing better mpg's on that truck.

GPurcell01

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a motorcycle to put around town with. Something stupid cheap that I don't care about.

Just a thought.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Not going to make a lick of difference. EGR is lowering combustion temps at cruising speed and without proper tuning, deleting it is just going to create problems.

You’re going to spend a lot of money getting .5 MPG better. How many tanks of gas is it going to take to recoup that cost?

Hibiki54

Reaction score
If you are getting 8 city/11 hwy, you might want to take into consideration other factors. Do you idle for long periods of time (20+ mins) outside of heavy traffic? Are you always in heavy traffic while in the city or highway. Is most of your driving in the city? Do you go wheeling often?

I mostly drive in the city and I idle my truck in the mornings before work because its cold. I'm averaging 10-11 mpg city driving. When I take long commutes I'm getting 15+ mpg. When I go wheeling I don't look at it because it's going to tank driving in 4-Low and limiting gears.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The best way to save at the pump is better driving habits anything else is more cost with no return

Nick

Reaction score
Much less EGR today than in non DEF models . As others have stated don't waste your money . There is a tuner that others have used that is emission compliant which may help . check out Johns posts . I think it is called EZ Lynk.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Much less EGR today than in non DEF models . As others have stated don't waste your money . There is a tuner that others have used that is emission compliant which may help . check out Johns posts . I think it is called EZ Lynk.
All Power Wagons are gas not diesel

JE_75PW

Reaction score
Thanks for input everyone. Here's the plan.

Driving habits:
On the hwy, I can take it down a notch on speed. Keep rpm at or below 2000.
In city, I already baby it. not a lot can change there. But I'll keep watch for opportunities.

Idle time is definitely an issue right now with cold Temps. Gotta see if I can limit the cycle time or start cycles to 1 only.

Magnaflow cat back exhaust
Cold air intake. Had planned on this anyway, lets see if it makes any difference.

Tires:
Switch back to stock.

I was reading the other day that the gas formula itself has changed? Haven't been able to confirm this, apparently more enthol is being added as standard? Again, no confirmation on this.
I try to use shell fuel myself.

Thanks for the comments! Keep em coming

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Your truck already has a cold air intake from the factory. It provides more cold air than the motor can use. Save your money.
I'd look more into your driving style. I have a 21 PW with 35s and can easily get 13 on the highways.
9 to 11 in town.

el_barto

Reaction score
****in weak hands! Gas spikes for one week and everyone is trying to figure out how to save money at the pump…it hurts filling up n but it doesn’t make a huge difference all in all, IMO. I didn’t buy this truck expecting good gas mileage.

Any money you spend trying to improve gas mileage will nearly never pay off. I bought a commuter bike (bicycle) last spring for $1000 and commuted about 3 days a week on it from like May thru September, 20 miles each way, totaling about 2500miles. If my truck gets 10mpg, and gas is $4/gallon, i barely broke even on my $1000 bike with that about 2500 miles of riding (save 250gallons of fuel)

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
El barto,
I used that excuse years ago to justify buying me a Harley. Told the wife that the money I saved in gas would make the bike payment. :cool:

It was pretty close. gas was over $5.00 a gallon for premium and truck got about 5 MPG cause I couldn't keep my lead foot out of the skinny pedal with 600 HP under the hood waiting to be set free. :)

Harley got almost 50 MPG.

IowaPW

Reaction score
Light load EGR at your cruising speeds and loads actually helps fuel economy. When EGR is introduced in these situations, the intake throttle position will be more "open". This more "open" condition reduces throttling losses through the cycle and actually ends up improving MPGs. I could go on for DAYS about this, but it'd probably bore everyone. LOL. :)

Users who are viewing this thread