Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'21 6.4 2500 - Camper weight limit vs. Payload

newbeco

Reaction score
My search didn't turn up any results, so posting a new thread here. My '21 2500 (6.4) came with a truck camper cheat-sheet of sorts, which provides good info on ideal center-of-gravity, dimension, and other sizing specs. It also specifies a "camper weight limit" of 2200#.

My question: What's the significance of the 2200# camper weight limit, and how does it line up with the 3100# payload that's on the door? My suspicion, based on zero evidence, is that this limit may assume a certain amount of passenger or cargo weight, similar to how Ford calculates their truck camper weights. Does anybody know the answer to this, or where to go for direction?

Ultimately, I don't think I'll hit either limit with the sub-1500# campers we have in mind, but would like to know where the goalposts are. Thanks in advance.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Payload is GVWR minus curb weight. So youre correct in your thinking that they are making an assumption based on passenger weight and cargo.

The fact is, if your payload is listed as 3100#, theoretically it can be 3100# of anything of your choosing--but passengers must be part of that calculation.

Don-T

Reaction score
I wonder if they us some sort of calculation to determine how much they reduce the camper weight/size rating due to a higher center of gravity with a camper loaded. If they do I can’t imagine what camper configuration they would use as there are so many variations. I do know the center of gravity is much higher with a camper as they do sway more than with other things I have carried in trucks.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I believe the limits for slide-ins has more to do with the weight on the rear axle, which is why it'd be lower than the overall available payload.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I believe the limits for slide-ins has more to do with the weight on the rear axle, which is why it'd be lower than the overall available payload.

Possible, but in theory ANYthing in front of the rear axle is going to move a percentage of weight to the front of the truck and hence, the front axle.

Example, an aux fuel tank in the bed of the truck with 100 gallons of diesel in it weighs what.. 900-1100 lbs? A good chunk of that weight is going to hit the front axle due to its placement in the bed of the truck.

Jak6four

Reaction score
My search didn't turn up any results, so posting a new thread here. My '21 2500 (6.4) came with a truck camper cheat-sheet of sorts, which provides good info on ideal center-of-gravity, dimension, and other sizing specs. It also specifies a "camper weight limit" of 2200#.

My question: What's the significance of the 2200# camper weight limit, and how does it line up with the 3100# payload that's on the door? My suspicion, based on zero evidence, is that this limit may assume a certain amount of passenger or cargo weight, similar to how Ford calculates their truck camper weights. Does anybody know the answer to this, or where to go for direction?

Ultimately, I don't think I'll hit either limit with the sub-1500# campers we have in mind, but would like to know where the goalposts are. Thanks in advance.
I had the same questions. My 3500’s camper ”cheat sheet” says 3025lbs vs the truck’s 3980 payload sticker on the door jamb. I’ll run the truck thru a CAT scale after I get the camper loaded but as long as I’m under my GAWR numbers I‘m not going to lose any sleep over it.

Users who are viewing this thread