Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'21 3500 Rear Air Suspension - Smoooth Ride!

John Jensen

Reaction score
Has anyone dug into Alfa OBD or Jscan to do these adjustments? Wonder if it allow L/R adjustments on the 3500s? Have a 23 on order so just curious. On my 2018 grand I can adjust front vs back but not side to side.
Not sure Alfa would help as the adjustment is mechanical. Or maybe Alfa could adjust the voltages. A good question that maybe an Alfa expert can answer.

jkacz123

Reaction score
Not sure Alfa would help as the adjustment is mechanical. Or maybe Alfa could adjust the voltages. A good question that maybe an Alfa expert can answer.

Ride height is determined via sensor voltage, just like my grand. I have a 2" spacer on the front of my grand and adjusted ride height in the computer via Alfa so it retains the same bag pressure. Likely the ram is exactly the same, this way the truck will know exactly where the suspension is and not be fooling it. It's a recalibration, so all settings will function like normal.

Worst case in many months down the road I'll do it myself on my 23.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Ride height is determined via sensor voltage, just like my grand. I have a 2" spacer on the front of my grand and adjusted ride height in the computer via Alfa so it retains the same bag pressure. Likely the ram is exactly the same, this way the truck will know exactly where the suspension is and not be fooling it. It's a recalibration, so all settings will function like normal.

Worst case in many months down the road I'll do it myself on my 23.
The rods have adjustment thats how you adjust it not on alfa

jkacz123

Reaction score
The rods have adjustment thats how you adjust it not on alfa
I understand what you're saying but it's not the only way, at least for grands, they have the exact same option to buy the rods. You can adjust (calibrate) the desired height via Alfa OBD with zero need for the rods. Nothing mechanical needing to be touched. The only question I have for the ram though is can it be adjusted left to right via the apps.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying but it's not the only way, at least for grands, they have the exact same option to buy the rods. You can adjust (calibrate) the desired height via Alfa OBD with zero need for the rods. Nothing mechanical needing to be touched. The only question I have for the ram though is can it be adjusted left to right via the apps.
The grand is not the same system it would be more like the 1/2 tons the HD system cant change the L/R values or atleast i have not seen the option going through alfa

jkacz123

Reaction score
The grand is not the same system it would be more like the 1/2 tons the HD system cant change the L/R values or atleast i have not seen the option going through alfa
I still see no reason you wouldn't be able to recalibrate overall rear ride height with Alfa or Jscan. Although lowest height would be limited to what the springs would allow of course. Check out my screenshot from JScans demo.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't believe the rods are adjustable. The sensor housing can be rotated slightly.

There are 2 "calibration" controls in the Air Suspension Control Module but the last time I recall someone messed with them, it screwed everything up. Don't recall what the fix was.

The one shown selected, and the Write Suspension Height Values

I'm not connected to the module and not going to mess with mine, so this is all I can offer:

1670705768188.jpeg

jkacz123

Reaction score
I
I don't believe the rods are adjustable. The sensor housing can be rotated slightly.

There are 2 "calibration" controls in the Air Suspension Control Module but the last time I recall someone messed with them, it screwed everything up. Don't recall what the fix was.

The one shown selected, and the Write Suspension Height Values

I'm not connected to the module and not going to mess with mine, so this is all I can offer:

View attachment 48526
It would be write suspension height values. Correct the OEM links aren't adjustable. I was referring to aftermarket.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My comment re: rod adjustment was not directed at you.
The rods are adjusted by moving the sensor housing that that the rods are attached too that is what i was referring to i figured since it was posted by the OP on what to adjust by saying adjusting the rods would be enough….

joeycamp

Reaction score
What size are the bolts on the sensors? Will bring some tools with me when I pick up the truck.

neutroniens

Reaction score
This is my solution to the less than smooth riding "Ram Air Suspension". I tried adjusting the brackets to have no air when empty. I also adjusted the brackets to have air in both bags when empty. (which lifted the rear over stock ride height) Mixed results both ways had advantages and disadvantages on ride quality. Ram has a few different leaf spring configurations. My truck is a 2022 3500 DRW HO CTD. The truck has two main springs with two overload springs. I did not want to "lift" my truck as I pull a 42' 16K 5th wheel. So options were limited. I went with Carli 5 pack add-a-leaf even though its not made for the air suspension. I modified them by drilling holes and added spring tips to 3 of the longest leaves for a squeak free ride. I did not use the two smallest leaves. These are designed to eliminate the overload spring. I only removed one of the overload springs. I ended up with a half of an inch "lift" over stock. I have the brackets set to have no air in the bags when empty. I have put some mile on the truck in mixed terrain and towing and over all I am happy with the resalts. No more teeth jarring on dips and larger bumps.

Attachments

• stock spring.jpg
    stock spring.jpg
    644.3 KB · Views: 46
  • add a leaf1.jpg
    add a leaf1.jpg
    635.5 KB · Views: 45
  • new config spring.jpg
    new config spring.jpg
    534.5 KB · Views: 44

roegs

Reaction score
Interesting solution for sure. So basically you substituted some of the Carli springs in place of one of the overloads. Is that correct? Two questions...

1. Did you notice any difference in a steady ride where there are no larger bumps? I ask because it appears that you added to the main spring function.

2. Have you noticed any difference in towing once you add the pin weight from your 5th wheel? I can't remember on mine if both overloads are working (touching) when I have our 5th wheel connected and the air bags have re-leveled the truck.

neutroniens

Reaction score
You are correct on my new spring configuration. To answer your first question I find the new configuration to be stiffer than stock springs without air in the airbags, but softer than stock springs with air in the airbags, running empty. That is on relatively smooth roads with small bumps. On medium or large, bumps or dips I found the new set up to be substantially smoother. When I hit a pothole or dip, the front feels very similar to the rear now. Second question with stock springs when I would add my fifth wheel, it would sit on the overload until the auto leveling engaged. Then it would ride on the airbags and only hit the overloads for medium to large bumps or dips. My fifth wheel hitch and kingpin equals about 4000 pounds. Plus the last time I went out for the test run. I had an extra 500 pounds in the bed. I felt the truck handled as well, while towing with the stock set up probably better because it didn’t feel like there was as much of a transition between riding on the airbags and hitting the overload springs on bumps and dips.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

Reaction score
This is my solution to the less than smooth riding "Ram Air Suspension". I tried adjusting the brackets to have no air when empty. I also adjusted the brackets to have air in both bags when empty. (which lifted the rear over stock ride height) Mixed results both ways had advantages and disadvantages on ride quality. Ram has a few different leaf spring configurations. My truck is a 2022 3500 DRW HO CTD. The truck has two main springs with two overload springs. I did not want to "lift" my truck as I pull a 42' 16K 5th wheel. So options were limited. I went with Carli 5 pack add-a-leaf even though its not made for the air suspension. I modified them by drilling holes and added spring tips to 3 of the longest leaves for a squeak free ride. I did not use the two smallest leaves. These are designed to eliminate the overload spring. I only removed one of the overload springs. I ended up with a half of an inch "lift" over stock. I have the brackets set to have no air in the bags when empty. I have put some mile on the truck in mixed terrain and towing and over all I am happy with the resalts. No more teeth jarring on dips and larger bumps.

Probably be even better without the overloads and your ride height would have stayed the same.

Air bags are your overloads.

You've got me thinking now about that Carli pack ....... hmmmmmm

TosaInu

Reaction score
I recently traded in my 2017 2500 Laramie (no factory air suspension) for a 2024 3500 Laramie with the factory air suspension. Honestly, when I went on a test drive, I was fully expecting a much harsher ride simply because it's a 3500 but I found the exact opposite to be true. The 3500 had a much better ride quality than the 2500 with coil springs. I still figured that maybe I imagined/invented things since I really wanted this new truck but no, after two weeks with the 3500 there is no question about it, the 3500 rides so much nicer unloaded than my 2500 ever did, literally no comparison. I only did a 12-mile test run towing my toy hauler with the 3500 but even that was enough to let me know that it also has a much smoother ride when loaded. While I am still sort of getting used to the ASIN transmission, I am seriously beyond impressed with how this truck rides when unloaded. My buddy has a 2018 2500 with the factory air suspension and I always told him that his truck seemed to ride much nicer than mine, now I have the ultimate proof with this 3500.

Users who are viewing this thread