Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'21 3500 CCSB Turning Radius with Goosebox with 4" Offset

Herrred

Reaction score
For those with a CCSB towing a 5er, I would highly recommend the Reese Goosebox and a 4" B&W Offset Ball. I have an almost 90 degrees turning ability and clear the rails plenty. The airbag in the neck of the Goosebox absorbs all the road, absolutely no chucking and no noise. The offset weighs about 18 pounds and takes a minute to remove. Tons of bedspace when towing. When I'm done towing, I just pull the offset and chain anchors out and put it in my storage under my backseat.
Turn.jpgHeight.jpgBed.jpg

Herrred

Reaction score
Just realized only two photos loaded. Here's the two that show the dgree of turn I can make with my Goosebox.
20220327_110729.jpg20220327_110740.jpg

BikePilot

Reaction score
Nice, that's a great setup! In ordering a new truck and looking at giving up the 8' bed to get the mega. I'll definitely do the 4" offset setup you have. Should I order the truck with the factory 5th wheel prep, or is it easier to install without the factory system at all?

Herrred

Reaction score
Nice, that's a great setup! In ordering a new truck and looking at giving up the 8' bed to get the mega. I'll definitely do the 4" offset setup you have. Should I order the truck with the factory 5th wheel prep, or is it easier to install without the factory system at all?
It's really personal preference based on mechanical abilities or having a good mechanic. Having a factory prep package and then replacing the gooseball hub with the B&W is less work, but you're paying twice for the end result. The B&W bolts right up to the RAM prep, but the in-bed trailer plug is included with the RAM prep. Regardless of the route you take, the B&W chain anchor hubs are cheap as hell. The RAM prep has hubs for chain anchors that are much more solid.

I didn't build my truck, I bought it used and it had the prep package. Do your research and see if you want to go down the metal-working route.

BikePilot

Reaction score
Thanks! Factory prep is cheap enough I'll go that route, just didn't want to get it if it makes th job harder. Really appreciate the insight.

QuattroCS

Reaction score
For those with a CCSB towing a 5er, I would highly recommend the Reese Goosebox and a 4" B&W Offset Ball. I have an almost 90 degrees turning ability and clear the rails plenty. The airbag in the neck of the Goosebox absorbs all the road, absolutely no chucking and no noise. The offset weighs about 18 pounds and takes a minute to remove. Tons of bedspace when towing. When I'm done towing, I just pull the offset and chain anchors out and put it in my storage under my backseat.
View attachment 35777View attachment 35778View attachment 35779
Nice setup, I didn't even know there was a goose-neck to 5er adapter. (new to pickup truck and these kinds of towing setups)

Question related to the full angle you showed, how far was it from the edge of the bed, the top of the assembly? (I have rambox bed, wondering if it would clear)

Lastly slightly unrelated question what tank is that in your bed? And capacity? (Looks like it would clear a bed cover and rambox bed)

Reactions: CFE

CFE

Reaction score
Nice setup, I didn't even know there was a goose-neck to 5er adapter. (new to pickup truck and these kinds of towing setups)

Question related to the full angle you showed, how far was it from the edge of the bed, the top of the assembly? (I have rambox bed, wondering if it would clear)

Lastly slightly unrelated question what tank is that in your bed? And capacity? (Looks like it would clear a bed cover and rambox bed)
There's at least one other kingpin to gooseneck adapter for 5th wheel campers - but the goosebox is the only one that Lippert will warranty if memory serves me correctly (I have the goosebox on my 5er as well).

Herrred

Reaction score

I can't speak as to RamBoxes, but there's very little space left between my bed side to where the gooseneck connects to the 5er when turning that sharp. I would imagine that yours would be an issue. Contact Reese and ask them about RamBox compatibility..

My Aux tank is a 40gal Titan. My tonneau covers with no problem. You can't even tell it's there.

20220409_104138.jpg

QuattroCS

Reaction score
I can't speak as to RamBoxes, but there's very little space left between my bed side to where the gooseneck connects to the 5er when turning that sharp. I would imagine that yours would be an issue. Contact Reese and ask them about RamBox compatibility..

My Aux tank is a 40gal Titan. My tonneau covers with no problem. You can't even tell it's there.

View attachment 37961
yes i saw another picture from another forum user and that will not work for me, i do have a working setup, i was curious about this one.
Nice, on the tank, i am planning on doing the 50 gal replacement and then this one for gravity and also in the future for some equiment fill up, kind of thing.

Thank you again for the details

Icky

Reaction score

View attachment 37961
Man this has really got me thinking about replacing my auto sliding hitch. Its a $2k gamble if it will work for me or not. Now with the autoslide I can go past 90 and not worry about hitting.

Some of your pictures look like your at 90, other not so much. Do u happen to have any other pictures?

Herrred

Reaction score
Man this has really got me thinking about replacing my auto sliding hitch. Its a $2k gamble if it will work for me or not. Now with the autoslide I can go past 90 and not worry about hitting.

Some of your pictures look like your at 90, other not so much. Do u happen to have any other pictures?
No, but I am just a few degrees short of 90. The turning radius is not an issue for me, as I have no problems backing a 5er. The main point for me was the weight and having my bedspace. There's no sound from the connection, no chucking or bumping. It's a tight hook-up. When I'm done towing, I remove a small gooseball and store it under my seat.

I'm not knocking those with traditional or slider 5er hitches. Each has their preferences and priorities. For me the GooseBox is the greatest invention since the Oreo cookie.

Icky

Reaction score
No, but I am just a few degrees short of 90. The turning radius is not an issue for me, as I have no problems backing a 5er. The main point for me was the weight and having my bedspace. There's no sound from the connection, no chucking or bumping. It's a tight hook-up. When I'm done towing, I remove a small gooseball and store it under my seat.

I'm not knocking those with traditional or slider 5er hitches. Each has their preferences and priorities. For me the GooseBox is the greatest invention since the Oreo cookie.
We live on a cul-de-sac, so I make a uturn with my trailer instead of backing down. I'll have to look and see what degree it's at the next time I come home. Maybe I'll piss off the wife and make the loop just for fun to see what degree ita at. The corners of my trailer are tapered slightly so i might get more angle. Thanks for your time

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

The factory prep will also get you the plugs in the bed...

Those nice pucks for chain attachment, resale and future options.

I'd get it and just eat it on replacing the ball mount.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Out of curiosity how many of you actually ever need to go to that extreme angle. I have put many trailers in many wild places but never needed to go past 80° ever. The only time i ever went to that extreme was in my old short bed i wanted to see how far i could go with the slider before getting too close to the cab

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Some of the older, smaller campsites on inside circle one way roads have extreme or even negative backing angles to get a trailer into.

It's only the short bed crew that struggles to achieve this need.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Some of the older, smaller campsites on inside circle one way roads have extreme or even negative backing angles to get a trailer into.

It's only the short bed crew that struggles to achieve this need.
Ah makes sense

Dukelittle

Reaction score

View attachment 37961
Nice setup… is your 5er 101” wide?

Users who are viewing this thread