Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Ram 3500 Laramie without 12” screen?

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
I’m thinking about ordering a mega cab but I don’t want the 12” screen, is there a way around it? Just don’t option with the 2 packages, if possible?
M

jenninr

Reaction score
Just about any options that you add to a Laramie requires that you add the level 1 or 2 package so unless you want a Laramie with basically no option then you have to get the 12 inch screen. Funnily enough if you go to a Limited you can piece meal options and avoid the Limited Level 1 package and get a nicer (and more expensive) truck with the 8.4. I just went through this because I wanted the 8.4 but I ended up with a Laramie with the 12". If you have the budget to jump to a limited though you can get the 8.4 in a truck with leather, and it's actually a real leather.

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
This was a big pet peeve of ordering (first time ordering for me...) should be a'la cart! fwiw I dont like the big screen in my truck - would have rather the small too...

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
That’s pretty funny. When I wanted to order a mega cab last year I ran into this since they discontinued the mega cab in the big horn. Then arrives the issue with the limited. I can get the 8.4 screen like you said but I don’t want the digital dash cluster, maybe I’m just old school for 39 years old, lol. Is there a way around that one? I can definitely afford the limited line and would appreciate better seat material.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
So just tried to build one- I need the non-bucket seats so that’s a hard no on the limited. Has anyone ever gone to the 8.4” to the 12” on the truck as a swap? I guess if it bothers me, I could always go backwards- swap the 8.4 for the 12” as a downgrade with someone who had a new truck, wonder if that’s possible?

AnthonyRI

5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Just about any options that you add to a Laramie requires that you add the level 1 or 2 package so unless you want a Laramie with basically no option then you have to get the 12 inch screen. Funnily enough if you go to a Limited you can piece meal options and avoid the Limited Level 1 package and get a nicer (and more expensive) truck with the 8.4. I just went through this because I wanted the 8.4 but I ended up with a Laramie with the 12". If you have the budget to jump to a limited though you can get the 8.4 in a truck with leather, and it's actually a real leather.
Correct the two packages are intertwined with just about any other add-on that has any electronics to it.... @LegendaryLawman other than bench seats and 8.4" what other things do you need to have in the truck?

Riddick

Reaction score
So just tried to build one- I need the non-bucket seats so that’s a hard no on the limited. Has anyone ever gone to the 8.4” to the 12” on the truck as a swap? I guess if it bothers me, I could always go backwards- swap the 8.4 for the 12” as a downgrade with someone who had a new truck, wonder if that’s possible?

Yes, you can swap in the 8.4 screen. There are 2 different versions for the 8.4, one with Nav and one without. You will also need to make some changes with Alpha OBD or J-scan and have to purchase a new center bezel to mount the new screen to. If you want the nav version of the 8.4 you will keep your existing radio module, if you opt for the non nav unit the module is integrated into the screen already and you could sell your module and screen together, which will sell fast! Like you mentioned you could also find someone and do a complete swap.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
Yes, you can swap in the 8.4 screen. There are 2 different versions for the 8.4, one with Nav and one without. You will also need to make some changes with Alpha OBD or J-scan and have to purchase a new center bezel to mount the new screen to. If you want the nav version of the 8.4 you will keep your existing radio module, if you opt for the non nav unit the module is integrated into the screen already and you could sell your module and screen together, which will sell fast! Like you mentioned you could also find someone and do a complete swap.
Might be my best option to just do the swap. Kind of ass backwards but I hate large screens in vehicles.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
When I’ve built current trucks I’ve actually found it easier to keep the 8.4 on a limited than a Laramie and get the options I want.

I hate the 12” screen, which makes me quite happy I bought a ‘22 Laramie.

BilletWilson

Reaction score
That’s pretty funny. When I wanted to order a mega cab last year I ran into this since they discontinued the mega cab in the big horn. Then arrives the issue with the limited. I can get the 8.4 screen like you said but I don’t want the digital dash cluster, maybe I’m just old school for 39 years old, lol. Is there a way around that one? I can definitely afford the limited line and would appreciate better seat material.
I was leary about the digital dash cluster on my 23 but after having it I really like it. I was driving from PA to CA and had a lot of time to think and to play around with the menus. It hit me that my 4th Gen always had a digital display in the center of the analog gauges and I rarely, if ever, seen anyone have problems with them.

Firebird

Reaction score
My buddy has an 8.4 non-Nav in his Laramie. So far, I like my 12" screen, it's my 1st one, and knock on wood, it has been trouble free.

Users who are viewing this thread