Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Ram 2500 Loadlifter 5000

Ed60

Reaction score
Got rid of my 3500 mega cab with factory air and new owner 2024 Ram 2500 Hemi with coils.

Loved 3500 with air, but the diesel emissions were giving me problems and I have a lighter camper now.

Anyhow, I have 9000 pound travel trailer and the ride is a little squishy.

Any feedback from folks that have added aftermarket bags.

Mainly how is the ride empty with 5psi or so in the bags. I love how the truck rides empty!

DougB

Reaction score
I haven’t towed yet with mine so can’t speak to that, yet, but I got the ones with internal bumps and run them at 0 psi so they don’t affect ride quality. I also added the Daystar cradles so they don’t limit droop and/or stretch the bags.

You may want to call Airlift to confirm their current kits fit the 24s. Likely do but a call to confirm would be good idea.

Post confirming can run at 0 psi with internal bump style. In another post someone mentioned they vacuum them up when not needed to further take them out of the suspension. I have tried that yet.

Here’s my install. I got their full stainless ultimate plus it 89289.

Last edited:

Ed60

Reaction score
I haven’t towed yet with mine so can’t speak to that, yet, but get the ones with internal bumps and run them at 0 psi so they don’t affect ride quality. I also added the Daystar cradles so they don’t limit droop and/or stretch the bags.

You may want to call Airlift to confirm their current kits fit the 24s. Likely do but a call to confirm would be good idea.

Post confirming can run at 0 psi with internal bump style. In another post someone mentioned they vacuum them up when not needed to further take them out of the suspension. I have tried that yet.

Here’s my install. I got their full stainless ultimate plus it 89289.
Awesome. Thanks Doug, I’ll definitely look into the Daystar, hadn’t considered them!

DougB

Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks Doug, I’ll definitely look into the Daystar, hadn’t considered them!
There is a lot of recommendations on this site to run them but some say they aren’t needed for stock suspension. I decided on them simply for when I work on the axle it won’t stretch the bags and I’d have to disconnected them.

I installed them when I installed my Thuren suspension. I ran them connected to the axle for a while when first installed and kept at 5 psi until I learned 0 psi was ok. Definitely noticed their added stiffness even at 5. With stock height suspensions they are always involved/compressed. The daystars make that even more so because they are about 1/2” thicker than the airlift plates so the bags have more compression with the daystars unless you’re lifted. The axle droops a lot more now with the Thuren setup. Even tho I got the stock ride height springs, they droop about 2” more than stock.

Here are some photos of mine with the Thuren suspension

Last edited:

Ed60

Reaction score
There is a lot of recommendations on this site to run them but some say they aren’t needed for stock suspension. I decided on them simply for when I work on the axle it won’t stretch the bags and I’d have to disconnected them.

I installed them when I installed my Thuren suspension. I ran them connected to the axle for a while when first installed and kept at 5 psi until I learned 0 psi was ok. Definitely noticed their added stiffness even at 5. With stock height suspensions they are always involved/compressed. The daystars make that even more so because they are about 1/2” thicker than the airlift plates so the bags have more compression with the daystars unless you’re lifted. The axle droops a lot more now with the Thuren setup. Even tho I got the stock ride height springs, they droop about 2” more than stock.

Awesome! Thanks again. I’m gonna opt out of the cradles and see how it goes with just the bags. I don’t off-road and would like to keep unloaded ride as soft as possible.

wrvond

Reaction score
I run the AirLift 5000 Ultimates as well. Since I have bone stock suspension I didn't feel the need for the cradles.
Since you are not carrying a bunch of weight in the bed you might consider running your airlines to a single fill valve. That will make it much easier to air them up equally. At these small volumes of air it can be difficult to get them to the same value when filling separately.
Since I pull a 5th wheel I fill mine separately to prevent the air from "squishing" from one side to the other under load.

Ed60

Reaction score
I run the AirLift 5000 Ultimates as well. Since I have bone stock suspension I didn't feel the need for the cradles.
Since you are not carrying a bunch of weight in the bed you might consider running your airlines to a single fill valve. That will make it much easier to air them up equally. At these small volumes of air it can be difficult to get them to the same value when filling separately.
Since I pull a 5th wheel I fill mine separately to prevent the air from "squishing" from one side to the other under load.
Perfect, that’s the plan, thanks!

DougB

Reaction score

Awesome! Thanks again. I’m gonna opt out of the cradles and see how it goes with just the bags. I don’t off-road and would like to keep unloaded ride as soft as possible.
Yeah, they aren’t needed in stock cases.

I didn’t get them at first for that reason but after deciding to get Thruren springs to soften the ride I decided to install the cradles just for protection when working on the rear axle. I didn’t want to have to remember to disconnect the bags. Even though that’s a really rare occasion.
I kept my bags on separate lines so I would avoid any possibility of air transfer. Risk is a single bag blow out lowers just that side whereas a tees system they both drop more safely. Towing I don’t see that a big risk. If I had a slide in camper then maybe that’s a case for teed. Everyone has their opinions and risk tolerance.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Pac brake bags are much better quality. I keep 10psi in my bags and the ride perfectly fine and the roads here are in the top 10 worst roads in canada if that means anything lol

jetrinka

Reaction score
Really like my Airlift and Daystar cradle setup. When unloaded I run the bags without the air valves in the lines and it rides great.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Really like my Airlift and Daystar cradle setup. When unloaded I run the bags without the air valves in the lines and it rides great.
That's an interesting idea. You just disconnect the air hose from the push connector? My understanding is the recommendation for the 5psi min is to keep the bags from over-compressing, but I guess you've not seen any issues?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
That's an interesting idea. You just disconnect the air hose from the push connector? My understanding is the recommendation for the 5psi min is to keep the bags from over-compressing, but I guess you've not seen any issues?
He has the ones with the internal bumper. And he pulls the valve core and made a venting cap with filter

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I considered that after reading his idea, but I’m worried they’d suck in moisture on wet days.
Thats no issue considering they likely condensate inside anyway unless your compressor has a refrigerant dryer you are pumping in moisture too. Besides the insides are rubber/ plastic and brass none of which is really affected by moisture. Hell in tractor/ implement tires we pump calcium/water mixture in to them no issues so don't overthink things too much lol

jetrinka

Reaction score
I considered that after reading his idea, but I’m worried they’d suck in moisture on wet days.
It’s like @H3LZSN1P3R said. Removed the valve cores and I’ve got the internal bounce stops.

I was worried about moisture too so I ran the lines up and mounted each in the upper rear portion of both my RamBoxes. No more moisture problems.

DougB

Reaction score
It’s like @H3LZSN1P3R said. Removed the valve cores and I’ve got the internal bounce stops.

I was worried about moisture too so I ran the lines up and mounted each in the upper rear portion of both my RamBoxes. No more moisture problems.
Inside Ramboxes is a good spot. Mine are on the rear bumper so could suck in water/moisture. Yeah, it might not do harm but I’m not gonna take the chance.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Inside Ramboxes is a good spot. Mine are on the rear bumper so could suck in water/moisture. Yeah, it might not do harm but I’m not gonna take the chance.
I would never put them in the bumper, the rambox if equiped would be good but also i have done some in the fuel tank cover or in the floor by the back seat brackets

DougB

Reaction score
I would never put them in the bumper, the rambox if equiped would be good but also i have done some in the fuel tank cover or in the floor by the back seat brackets
Yeah, if mounted in a protected area I would run without cores, no problem. Since my kit had the fixed length stainless braided lines, I didn’t have the option to run into fuel filler area, or bed, without having to use plastic line to extend.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I had the lines originally exiting out of the two square holes that the dually 3rd center tail light bolts to under the tailgate. Worked fine there and kept them capped with the valve cores in but I wanted to run without cores so the Rambox worked better.

If I didn’t have the ramboxes im not sure where I would have put them

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I had the lines originally exiting out of the two square holes that the dually 3rd center tail light bolts to under the tailgate. Worked fine there and kept them capped with the valve cores in but I wanted to run without cores so the Rambox worked better.

If I didn’t have the ramboxes im not sure where I would have put them
I have installed them in the back seat floor area or fuel door before as they are away from salt/ calcium spray that way

Users who are viewing this thread