Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Power Wagon Updates from Ramtrucks.com

Hibiki54

Reaction score
Ramtrucks.com has their new builder up for 2023 heavy duties. Was looking at the builds for a Power Wagon and it seemed to be more streamlined to be comparable to the new 2500 Rebel.

Things that I took interest in:

2023+ Power Wagons are now going to have 5 Passenger Seating with the center console as a standard package in the Level 2 Equipment Group. This was previously only available for the 2021 75A variant and the 2022 Power Level 3 group.

Like with the addition of the 2023 2500 Rebel, 2023 Power Wagons are now coming standard with the new full screen digital instrument cluster. No more analog Speedo and Tac.

2023 Power Wagons are now coming standard with an upgraded Steering Wheel that will be similar to the current 5th Gen 1500. I am actually stoked for this change because it is the one peeve I have about Ram HDs is that the arrows on the steering console make no sense and it was the one thing I missed from my 2020 1500 Rebel.

Additionally, Ram is no longer offering certain things such as the Power Level 3 Group and Off-Road Package. Most of the Power Level 3 Group has been intergrated into the 5 passenger seating option and Level 2 Equipment. And the Off-Road Package is gone so no more 75A Bead-lock capable wheels (that they never made a bead lock ring for).

el_barto

Reaction score
I noticed these things too.

While I haven’t seen the digital gauges in person, I think the analog gauges look better, especially when off, since it has real depth and texture.
The new steering wheel I agree the arrow locations are improved, not sure about long term durability of the soft-touch style buttons.

I think the new Sport hood looks cool but id be worried it makes forward visibility even worse than it already is.

I like that they have the Power Wagon specifications tag on the glove box door…I might have to order a new glove box door…

Other notes on the 23’s: all black wheels now standard; cloth seats are now black instead of grey; tradesman power wagon now has black powder coat bumper instead of chrome

TLDR; 2019 is the best year ;)

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Reaction score
I see the base price has already risen $200 since the first round of orders. I like the sport hood, but glad I went with the 75th anniversary. The interior is just nicer all around, and I like the combo digital and analog display.

el_barto

Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out the pricing/specs on the Rebel Vs PW. Seems like the “base” (Hemi:hemi) is nearly identical(spec wise), other than the Rebel has 20” wheels; but price is just $1000 more for the PW over the Rebel and you get the winch (and front sway bar disconnect and locking front axle). Adding the $2500 winch to the Rebel makes it more expensive than the PW. The gas Rebel doesn’t make much sense to me at the price point.

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out the pricing/specs on the Rebel Vs PW. Seems like the “base” (Hemi:hemi) is nearly identical(spec wise), other than the Rebel has 20” wheels; but price is just $1000 more for the PW over the Rebel and you get the winch (and front sway bar disconnect and locking front axle). Adding the $2500 winch to the Rebel makes it more expensive than the PW. The gas Rebel doesn’t make much sense to me at the price point.

Because it's not a budget version of the Power Wagon. It's a mission oriented question, not a budget oriented one. The Rebel only makes sense if you want to preserve a more normal 3/4 ton tow rating at the expense of off road capability. The Power Wagon only makes sense if you are willing to have a tow rating that's very low for the segment but want all the off road capability.

el_barto

Reaction score
Because it's not a budget version of the Power Wagon. It's a mission oriented question, not a budget oriented one. The Rebel only makes sense if you want to preserve a more normal 3/4 ton tow rating at the expense of off road capability. The Power Wagon only makes sense if you are willing to have a tow rating that's very low for the segment but want all the off road capability.
Right, i get it’s not a budget PW, but you pay a premium for the Power Wagon features (winch, lockers, sway bar, skid plates) over the “standard” equipment on a 2500 (example: Pw package for Tradesman). They are not adding load carrying capacity to a Power Wagon, they are just playing with the parts bin by slapping a power wagon rear axle and skid plates onto a regular 2500. I would expect a premium over a comparably equipped regular 2500 for these features, but it shouldn’t be priced the same as a PW when it doesn’t offer all of the same features.

Docwagon1776

Reaction score
Right, i get it’s not a budget PW, but you pay a premium for the Power Wagon features (winch, lockers, sway bar, skid plates) over the “standard” equipment on a 2500 (example: Pw package for Tradesman). They are not adding load carrying capacity to a Power Wagon, they are just playing with the parts bin by slapping a power wagon rear axle and skid plates onto a regular 2500. I would expect a premium over a comparably equipped regular 2500 for these features, but it shouldn’t be priced the same as a PW when it doesn’t offer all of the same features.

It's a direct competitor to the F-250 Tremor. For guy who want one, they'll pay for it because they want that hybrid of tow rig with mild off road ability. Those who don't value that mix won't. Price is set by supply/demand, not cost to manufacture. If the market deems the price to be stupid, they won't sell them. But I expect they will.

el_barto

Reaction score
Yeah I mean I guess if they sell, more money in their pockets.
But tremor at least has an LSD front…they completely removed the front locker from the Rebel.

PW just looks like a better deal if you’re ok with less payload/towing.

Docwagon1776

Reaction score
Yeah I mean I guess if they sell, more money in their pockets.
But tremor at least has an LSD front…they completely removed the front locker from the Rebel.

PW just looks like a better deal if you’re ok with less payload/towing.

Ford is a better deal. The Tremor is a better deal than the Rebel in 1/2 tons as well, dollar to function wise.

jsalbre

Reaction score
The Rebel is effectively an order package on the PW. Selecting that package lowers the price by $2300, so it's not priced the same. Whether $2300 is enough for the feature changes is of course up to the buyer to decide.

It's all about segmentation. The PW is excellent at hardcore off-roading, but otherwise is a terrible HD truck, because both its payload and towing are below that of 1/2 ton trucks. The standard 2500 is an excellent HD truck, but doesn't have an option for a locker or a winch, which are of course common off-road "essentials". Not that you can't add those things yourself, but by having them available from the factory Ram will pull a lot of customers who would otherwise jump over to the Tremor.

I'd like to have the option for a front locker, but after 10+ years of wheeling in a series of Wrangler Rubicons I maybe used the front lockers 3 times. My current Gladiator Mojave only has a rear locker (just like the Rebel), and that's been enough to get me through every situation I've found myself in. In fact that's part of why I chose the Rebel: The Rebel is to the PW what the Mojave Gladiator is to the Rubicon Gladiator. It's a much better fit for my needs.

Docwagon1776

Reaction score
The Rebel is to the PW what the Mojave Gladiator is to the Rubicon Gladiator. It's a much better fit for my needs.

Mojave is sprung really well, and that's another area the PW shines in over the standard 2500. The softer and more compliant suspension means it has that 1/2 ton ride quality to go with the 1/2 ton tow rating.

jenninr

Reaction score
The level 2 in the 2023 is equivalent to the level 3/75th in previous years and the 23 level 1 is equivalent to the old level 2. The 23 base is the old level 1. You can't get the old base level anymore.

The requirement for the 20” wheels on the Rebel right now also throws a wrench in the pricing somewhat because it changes that $2300 discount to a $1300 discount. I want to like the Rebel, it arguably is the best fit for my needs/wants that Ram makes but the pricing kills it for me, it's just to much of a premium over a standard 2500 and at the price, from a value perspective, I wonder if I'd be better off buying a Power Wagon and adding air bags for the, in my case, occasional, heavier towing/payload need. If the Rebel was more like a $3500-4000 discount over a PW and the 18"wheels were available my order would already be in for one.

CPM10V

Reaction score
I wish you could still get the “bead lock” wheels for 23, I think it’s an attractive wheel. It doesn’t seem like they ever really followed through or promoted the rings so maybe they decided to abandon that wheel.
The rock rail/step pads are still an option but if you try to select them on their online builder the option doesn’t activate so maybe they’ve decided to ditch those too?

AFF

Reaction score
My co-worker ordered a 23 PW with vinyl floor and floor shifter 4x4. Is that possible getting the floor shifter still?

jenninr

Reaction score
My co-worker ordered a 23 PW with vinyl floor and floor shifter 4x4. Is that possible getting the floor shifter still?
Yes, the floor shifter is standard on the base or level 1 PW. I think to get the vinyl flooring now you have to get a Tradesman Power Wagon though. I don't remember seeing it in the order guides. I wish they offered carpet delete as an option on every trim level of truck they build.

Hibiki54

Reaction score
The floor shifter is still a thing when you go 6 passenger seating without the electronic shift on the fly T-case. If you go 5-passenger seating the electronic shift T-case is mandatory because of the center console.

eastcoastwagon

Reaction score
Yes, the floor shifter is standard on the base or level 1 PW. I think to get the vinyl flooring now you have to get a Tradesman Power Wagon though. I don't remember seeing it in the order guides. I wish they offered carpet delete as an option on every trim level of truck they build.
I have a level 3 with vinyl floor on order. Anyone have any info on rear self leveling available on pw? Seems the Canadian website shows the option.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I have a level 3 with vinyl floor on order. Anyone have any info on rear self leveling available on pw? Seems the Canadian website shows the option.
There are no Level 3 PWs for 2023, only base, Level 1 and Level 2. The old Level 3 is now Level 2.

The self-leveling you're seeing isn't for the PW, it's for the Rebel. They share a build code and most options.

eastcoastwagon

Reaction score
There are no Level 3 PWs for 2023, only base, Level 1 and Level 2. The old Level 3 is now Level 2.

The self-leveling you're seeing isn't for the PW, it's for the Rebel. They share a build code and most options.
Yes sorry level 2 is what I meant. Weird I'm sure I saw self leveling in the pw build but don't see it now. I did manage to get vinyl floor, but no aux switches.

Is it clear now what the interior of a level 2 will be? Same as '22 level 3?

jsalbre

Reaction score
Yeah, ‘23 level 2 has the same interior as ‘22 level 3.

Users who are viewing this thread