Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Power Wagon GVWR

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Ironically, the softer suspension was the main reason for me to choose a PW over a regular 2500. I don't need to tow or haul heavy loads, and didn't want the harsh ride of the normal 2500's geared toward that.

Indeed..if they made a 1/2 ton PW package with even less payload but nicer off road ride I would prefer that. The PW payload is plenty for me and I do tow, just not real heavy.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Ironically, the softer suspension was the main reason for me to choose a PW over a regular 2500. I don't need to tow or haul heavy loads, and didn't want the harsh ride of the normal 2500's geared toward that.
And it is interesting to see some people towing somewhat substantially over payload and max tow and be happy with the result. On YouTube there is a guy who has a site called The Getty Adventures (Power Wagon) for search purposes. He is actually a diesel tech and a Power Wagon nerd but bought a power wagon and has put it through its paces including towing over spec, comparisons, new tech and other things... It's worth watching. I did NOT go Power Wagon because of the tow ratings but after watching him, I wonder... One thing mentioned by some on the towing side but in relation to reduced capacities is the intrinsic build and design of an HD truck. The HD's are at their core tow beasts so even reducing capacities by messing with peripheral parts and pieces means for a specific purpose does not change the core design of the truck which is designed to tow. The Getty guy and his "adventures" seem to support this.

DrTron

Reaction score
The main thing about towing is the weight ratio between vehicle and trailer. As the PW is as heavy as the other 2500's, the only reason for having a lower towing weight is tongue weight. The more tongue weight you have, the more stability the rig has when driving. That is obviously limited on the PW (at least without air bags) as it will sag more and the bottoming-out reserve of the suspension is less. On top of that the springs are softer, so the truck is more likely to bounce when going over road imperfections. So my purely amateur guess is you're probably good towing more if you keep the tongue weight in check and don't go below 100lbs or so. Especially if you have an anti-sway coupler.
It's similar for hauling, you can beef up the springs with air bags, but the shocks are still softer, leading to an increased risk of bouncing as the spring/dampening ratio is now changed.

Kauffmj1

Reaction score
The main thing about towing is the weight ratio between vehicle and trailer. As the PW is as heavy as the other 2500's, the only reason for having a lower towing weight is tongue weight. The more tongue weight you have, the more stability the rig has when driving. That is obviously limited on the PW (at least without air bags) as it will sag more and the bottoming-out reserve of the suspension is less. On top of that the springs are softer, so the truck is more likely to bounce when going over road imperfections. So my purely amateur guess is you're probably good towing more if you keep the tongue weight in check and don't go below 100lbs or so. Especially if you have an anti-sway coupler.
It's similar for hauling, you can beef up the springs with air bags, but the shocks are still softer, leading to an increased risk of bouncing as the spring/dampening ratio is now changed.
I've always wondered that if you put standard 2500 springs and shocks on a Powerwagon, would you be near or at regular 2500 tow capacity? I think only those articulink arms are the other PW vs standard 2500 difference. Not saying I want to swap that stuff out, but was curious if that would do it (although not legally according to your door sticker). I'm in the camp of wanting the softer suspension and 10k towing takes care of my jeep and car that may only see a trailer a couple times a year.

DrTron

Reaction score
I'm not a suspension expert, just someone with a pretty good understanding of engineering. But like you said, it wouldn't be legal in any case, so likely a very theoretical question.

Kauffmj1

Reaction score
Haha. Well that goes without saying. It was certainly a factor in me ordering one!

Users who are viewing this thread