Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Option Help/Opinions

Tater86

Reaction score
I know there are responses mixed in about every thread for what I'm looking for, but I'm starting to go cross eyed. I'm looking for input and opinions on the options below to see if folks think they are annoying or a great add on. I'm looking at a big horn package because I have a strong dislike for leather seats. So what are your thoughts on the following options:

12.0" Touchscreen
Adaptive Cruise (I think you can turn this off, I hated it on Toyota's)
Auto High Beams
Rain Sensitive Wipers

Also, if some of the options are included in the Level 2 Equipment group and then also included in the tow tech package do they charge you twice? Like blind spot detection?

Thanks in advance

arx237

Reaction score
12.0" Touchscreen
Auto High Beams
Rain Sensitive Wipers
I went 8.4" nav because I wanted physical knobs for climate instead of touchscreen
Adaptive cruise some hate and some swear by as best thing ever. I would say go find one and test drive it yourself.
Auto high beams are off on mine because the country road signs constantly and annoyingly fool the system.
Rain sensitive wipers, after the first few random DRY activations I also have this disabled. Nothing fun about a dry wiper scraping across a dusty bud filled windscreen

rossagge

Reaction score
Hey. All those options are nice to have and useful. The UC5 still has it's gremlins and it's even worse on 12" screen. The auto high beams aren't as reactive as they should be, at least for me. I like the feature as it does cancel them before I can sometimes on windy or hilly back roads, but not all the time. I've been flashed a few times because they didn't react in time. Adaptive cruise can be turned off, but it's not for me either. We have it on a Ford Ranger and I don't care for it, most of the time. On a nice highway stretch with min-mod traffic, I use it. Anything other than that, nope. I rather use reg cruise that's easier to manage.
You won't get charged twice if the same feature is in another option package. The system will adjust pricing for that situation.

Last edited:

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
I agree with what others have said on the systems you mentioned. They work under ideal conditions, and anything else they are kind of annoying.
The 12" screen is great if you're going to be using the integrated nav or android auto for maps and want to have the radio, hvac controls etc. on the screen at the same time. Otherwise I would not pony up for it as the 8.4 is large enough for most everything.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
12" screen is nice. You do have push buttons on the side of the screen for HVAC, so you don't have to use the touch screen. Mine is almost always in auto, so only thing I change is Tem and maybe the front defrost in the morning. But those are all pushbuttons on the side of the screen besides on the touch screen.

Adaptive cruise. had it on my Genesis. its works, but can be annoying in traffic. But you can always shut it off and drive.

Auto high beams. Good for long windy roads at night when you hit on coming traffic and forget to change them. Otherwise, you can turn it off.

Rain sense wipers. I use them. works great when its raining as it will only wipe when needed. Not like setting a certain interval and they go when not really needed, or you have to speed them up when it starts to really pour. They auto adjust to the amount of rain.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
I know there are responses mixed in about every thread for what I'm looking for, but I'm starting to go cross eyed. I'm looking for input and opinions on the options below to see if folks think they are annoying or a great add on. I'm looking at a big horn package because I have a strong dislike for leather seats. So what are your thoughts on the following options:

12.0" Touchscreen
Auto High Beams
Rain Sensitive Wipers

Also, if some of the options are included in the Level 2 Equipment group and then also included in the tow tech package do they charge you twice? Like blind spot detection?

Thanks in advance

i have a bighorn and made sure not to get all four of those options...i do have a level c and NE with LED headlights...I was always in the same mindset, cloth interiors and just got a tradesman. Went with the bighorn to get a few options that I had on my old 2003 (had a 2016 tradesman) ...as far as options you didn't list, bed lights are worth it, cargo light camera not so much, now it does look better than the red reflector up there, and guess I missed the memo about the alpine system taking up the under the rear seat storage for the subwoofer

as others have said, the 12" screen is just a little much for my liking...i have a dually, usually towing so I can probably count the number of times I'll use cruise over the life of the truck...most vehicles seem to come with the auto high beams these days...I just leave them turned off and negative on the rain sensitive wipers...to each their own i guess

as far as the pricing structure goes, I know my build...level C and night edition both included front and rear park assist and the packages weren't discounted for the doubling up of options...there may be instances where other package prices adjust, but not in my case (if you build one online now the level C and NE package price doesn't change when you add them both to your build

tchur1

Reaction score
12" screen is nice. You do have push buttons on the side of the screen for HVAC, so you don't have to use the touch screen. Mine is almost always in auto, so only thing I change is Tem and maybe the front defrost in the morning. But those are all pushbuttons on the side of the screen besides on the touch screen.

Adaptive cruise. had it on my Genesis. its works, but can be annoying in traffic. But you can always shut it off and drive.

Auto high beams. Good for long windy roads at night when you hit on coming traffic and forget to change them. Otherwise, you can turn it off.

Rain sense wipers. I use them. works great when its raining as it will only wipe when needed. Not like setting a certain interval and they go when not really needed, or you have to speed them up when it starts to really pour. They auto adjust to the amount of rain.
This sums everything up perfectly, I agree on all fronts. The argument for hard buttons for climate with the 8.4" are moot IMO because there are hard buttons for both temp and fan speed.

All of the other features can be turned on/off based on your liking.

I had Adaptive Cruise on my last truck but dont on this one and I dont miss it at all. If it was lane keep/self driving then maybe I would want it but just adaptive cruise isn't worth it IMO unless its in another package you are getting.

Tater86

Reaction score
i have a bighorn and made sure not to get all four of those options...i do have a level c and NE with LED headlights...I was always in the same mindset, cloth interiors and just got a tradesman. Went with the bighorn to get a few options that I had on my old 2003 (had a 2016 tradesman) ...as far as options you didn't list, bed lights are worth it, cargo light camera not so much, now it does look better than the red reflector up there, and guess I missed the memo about the alpine system taking up the under the rear seat storage for the subwoofer

as others have said, the 12" screen is just a little much for my liking...i have a dually, usually towing so I can probably count the number of times I'll use cruise over the life of the truck...most vehicles seem to come with the auto high beams these days...I just leave them turned off and negative on the rain sensitive wipers...to each their own i guess

as far as the pricing structure goes, I know my build...level C and night edition both included front and rear park assist and the packages weren't discounted for the doubling up of options...there may be instances where other package prices adjust, but not in my case (if you build one online now the level C and NE package price doesn't change when you add them both to your build
That's good to know about the Alpine speakers! I really want an upgraded speaker system, just because I like a better sound coming out over stock speakers. That's going to make me really think twice on losing that storage now.

kevin588127

Reaction score
I'm going to pile in with the others. I ordered a big horn specifically without those options. My buddy had a brand new larimie so I got to check out the 12" UC. I didn't like it, too much going on, likely more expensive when it breaks and I wanted the HVAC controls separate. The same guy with the larimie had a 1500 previously. The radio quit and it had the HVAC controls in it. Took 6 weeks to get a replacement and in the meantime, he was stuck with whatever the last setting was. He had also experienced a few glitches with the 12" display in the month that he had owned it.

I've only driven a Subaru with lane keep assist and I hated it.

Adaptive cruise would drive me nuts. As would the auto high beams.

Rain sense wiper could be ok but you would likely have to get the rest of the nanny stuff.

I too would have been happy with the tradesman but they did some very annoying things with the packages on them. They got rid of the floor storage bins that I love on my current truck. If you go level 2, they dip the whole truck front end in chrome.

kevin588127

Reaction score
That's good to know about the Alpine speakers! I really want an upgraded speaker system, just because I like a better sound coming out over stock speakers. That's going to make me really think twice on losing that storage now.
I also got a chance to listen to the alpine system in the larimie. Not impressed. My current ram has upgraded JBL 6x9s in the doors. Cost all of 250 bucks and I think it sounds pretty damn good for not having a sub or external amps. This is coming from a guy that used to spend 1000s on aftermarket stereos years ago.

tyler2you

Reaction score
The forward collision warning and active braking that come with the adaptive cruise were a no go for me. I had several cases in my previous vehicle where I felt it put me in dangerous situations. One time when I was driving in the right lane of a busy parkway, the vehicle in front of me signaled to turn right. I slowed a bit, knowing that the vehicle would be clear by the time I reached the intersection. The active braking system thought it knew best and slammed on the brakes nearly causing me to get rear ended. I also had a couple of scares when I was trying to pass on a 2 lane road. I accelerated hard and pulled into the oncoming lane to pass, but the system apparently thought I was too close to the car in front and slammed on the brakes, leaving me hanging out in the oncoming lane with no power.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Mine has the HK system. Love the system and have no plans of changing the speakers. It all depends on the source as to how good it sounds. But I'm happy with it.
It too has the sub under the rear seat. but only on the passenger side rear. I still have storage under the drivers rear seat. And if you do the simple seat back mod, you get storage behind the seat as well. ;)

My '15 Genesis R Spec had the upgraded Lexicon system in it. The two are comparable. I have a built system in the wife's truck using Focal speakers thruout. Systems sounds awesome. But I'm not up to changing the one in my truck just yet. Maybe one day I may dig into the doors and add some sound deading material.

DrTron

Reaction score
Love my automatic high beams and rain-sensing wipers. They work great for me.
About the adaptive cruise control: my current truck doesn't have it, but the one on order will. I've had such a system on a Volkswagen a while back, and when you're driving on two-lane highways often, it really pays off.
YMMV, but down here people don't seem to know what a cruise control is and vary their speed all the time, making it impossible for me to use my regular cruise control.

dm6

Reaction score

12.0" Touchscreen
Auto High Beams
Rain Sensitive Wipers

Thanks in advance
I guess as you see, you are going to get answers all over the place so I don't know how much help we are :) I'll just say I also got the Big Horn because I actually liked the seats in it better than the Laramie. The only option of those 4 I got was the 12" because when I ordered it last year, it came in a tech package that also included LED lights and the Alpine system which I wanted anyways so it didn't cost much more to get it. I too was worried about the separate control knobs for the climate control but it actually does have physical buttons for everything you really need. I think it is nice to have the split screen since I am always using Android Auto and then can have the music or something else on another screen, but if were just paying $2,000 alone for it, I could probably get by fine with the 8.4" One thing that I didn't even think I would care about though were all the cameras that happened to come with the tech package but they are really helpful. It sure is easy to check the boxes for the options but they sure add up fast, don't they? :)

Tater86

Reaction score
I agree with what others have said on the systems you mentioned. They work under ideal conditions, and anything else they are kind of annoying.
The 12" screen is great if you're going to be using the integrated nav or android auto for maps and want to have the radio, hvac controls etc. on the screen at the same time. Otherwise I would not pony up for it as the 8.4 is large enough for most everything
Do you know if you can mirror google maps from your iphone onto the screen? I never have gotten navigation in a vehicle because phones are just so much better for that these days.

Tater86

Reaction score
I also got a chance to listen to the alpine system in the larimie. Not impressed. My current ram has upgraded JBL 6x9s in the doors. Cost all of 250 bucks and I think it sounds pretty damn good for not having a sub or external amps. This is coming from a guy that used to spend 1000s on aftermarket stereos years ago.
I like that route, never thought of adding aftermarket speakers instead. Probably can get something better than alpine then as well.

Tater86

Reaction score
Mine has the HK system. Love the system and have no plans of changing the speakers. It all depends on the source as to how good it sounds. But I'm happy with it.
It too has the sub under the rear seat. but only on the passenger side rear. I still have storage under the drivers rear seat. And if you do the simple seat back mod, you get storage behind the seat as well. ;)

My '15 Genesis R Spec had the upgraded Lexicon system in it. The two are comparable. I have a built system in the wife's truck using Focal speakers thruout. Systems sounds awesome. But I'm not up to changing the one in my truck just yet. Maybe one day I may dig into the doors and add some sound deading material.
Thanks, I checked out the back seat mod and I like it. It's funny, when you look on the 2022 2500 gallery page they show a version with the seats folded flat but they don't tell you what model that is.

Tater86

Reaction score
I guess as you see, you are going to get answers all over the place so I don't know how much help we are :) I'll just say I also got the Big Horn because I actually liked the seats in it better than the Laramie. The only option of those 4 I got was the 12" because when I ordered it last year, it came in a tech package that also included LED lights and the Alpine system which I wanted anyways so it didn't cost much more to get it. I too was worried about the separate control knobs for the climate control but it actually does have physical buttons for everything you really need. I think it is nice to have the split screen since I am always using Android Auto and then can have the music or something else on another screen, but if were just paying $2,000 alone for it, I could probably get by fine with the 8.4" One thing that I didn't even think I would care about though were all the cameras that happened to come with the tech package but they are really helpful. It sure is easy to check the boxes for the options but they sure add up fast, don't they? :)
How do you like the Alpine system?

Linked4door

Reaction score
Some of these can be upgraded after the fact from what I have read in other threads. For the options you listed it's really a personal preference thing.

Had a 12" screen in my 2019 and ordered my 2022 with a 8.4". Couldn't be happier. Zero regrets. Sure thr 12" had SOME physical buttons, but 8.4 is better when it comes to buttons. Being able to keep my eyes on the road since I can just reach over and feel for what I need. Not having to go through as many menu's alone was with the switch for me. Having a physical "off" button for the ac is also great.

Adaptive cruise is something I like as well. It can be turned Orr and normal cruise control can be used. This is something still in the early stages for ram and still needs work IMO. The system works MUCH better in toyotas. If you didn't like it in a toyota you won't like it in the ram.

Auto highbeams is nice, but could be better.
Rain sensitive wipers are nice. This is something that can be turned off if you end up not liking it.

Thisnthat

Reaction score

yeah - all depends on what you're used to...I came from a 2016 tradesman and used the under seat storage as my tool box...struggling with the idea of adding a tool box in the bed as I haven't had one in over 20 years... (the 2003 had the under the seat storage as well)...so the only readily available space is under the single driver's side back seat and it's limited by the fold flat system unless you remove it (guess it can be taken out)

if I had to pick the premium headlights or the alpine system for the bighorn and only wanted to splurge on one, I'd lean towards the headlights as they change up the entire look of the truck and of course work well (they have the LED strips for the DRL vs the headlights) Ultimately the alpine system isn't terrible IMO and just depends on your objective/budget

Users who are viewing this thread