Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Laramie Mega Cab w/ Hemi vs. Diesel?

Bcrouse

Reaction score
I went back and forth on the same issue. I hate having to jam into a normal gas pump with a 34’ box on wheels behind me. Using the fleet diesel pumps with a fleet card is so much less stressful. Not having to google maps every gas station to see if it will be semi-accessible is a huge bonus. Ive made some friends with our current towing situation and using gas pumps.

2500 with a diesel cuts down the usable payload by a good bit vs the hemi. If you want diesel it makes sense to bump to the 3500 srw, so you still have a usable payload. Thats what I decided to do. It also gives you leaf springs in the rear vs the coil springs which i’ve found to be more stable (stock/stock) for towing.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
If you plan to daily drive the truck and cruise unloaded around town more than you plan to work the truck, buy the hemi.

If you plan to use the truck for towing and work more than daily driving, buy the diesel.

jebruns

Reaction score
I know that the air ride on the HDs isn't as problematic as the 1500s but it is still a potential failure point. There were a few posts on here that members had experienced problems. Either a bag failure or an error code within the system. Neither is something I wanted to happen while towing a camper 500 miles from home. It would be really cool to have but I ultimately decided that the minor benefit didn't outweigh the potential negatives. The coil sprung rear is one of the major advantages that Ram has. I guess thats why I say if I was going 3500, I'd really give the air suspension a look. The price point of the factory air ride makes it really appealing as well.
Completely understand. But I'd add that anything you order is a "potential failure point". I've been reading a couple of Ram forums daily for 2.5 years now, and I'd called it very unusual to read a about an HD having air suspension issues. But to each their own. If it's worry for you, I wouldn't get it either.

orlando bull

Reaction score
My opinion, and take it for what it's worth, the diesel will get the dollars back out of it at resale. The gasser wont. I had a 2019 with 43,000 miles, got $4100 less than I paid on trade. Probably could have gotten even money in a private sale. Of course that is in today's crazy market, but overall, when you go to sell an HD truck, a lot of your buyer pool is going to immediately dismiss a gasser.

Secondly, my 2022 3500 with air ride is significantly smoother than my 2019 without it. I was not expecting any real change in how the truck rides, but I was shocked at how much better the 2022 is. I still have the factory tires, I know when I switch, it will get even better.

Jsboening

Reaction score
Love my 2500 mega hemi. Tows great, nice ride with the air ride suspension and the mega is great for taller passengers. The center of the third row still isn’t the best of places on long rides due to the armrest on the center. The 8spd with 4.10’s is a great combo. Decent gas mileage and pulls nice. I have no regrets not getting the diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread