Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 HD Limited / Limited Long Horn Steering wheel…

BigRigWrecker

Reaction score
Just caught first look at a 23 HR 2500 longhorn and was put off by the 1500 steering wheel, and absence of the the wood top.

I looked at a 1500 limited (standard limited with the black interior) and noticed it too is missing the wood wheel.

Does anyone know if that is by design or because of “supply issues”? Either way I have to say that between that and the tacky electronic gauge cluster I’m glad I didn’t wait on the 23’s when I bought my 3500 mega cab HO Longhorn.

Coming from a 19 1500 longhorn and 20 2500 limited mega cab, I have to say I freakin love the wood wheel, and it always gets compliments from my ford and Chevy friends (along with just about everything else about the interior).

What is the world coming to when a six figure rig doesn’t have analog gauges and a wooden topped steering wheel. I am open to arguments on the gauges… but we all know that new gauge cluster is probably 3 or 400 cheaper to build than the old ones in the limited and long horns… and it looks like the garbage ones they put in the 90’s Lincoln’s that are hard to see under certain lighting conditions… but no one will sell me on the all leather wrapped wheel.

I buy the limited or long horn trucks because I want something that not just looks nice, but also feels nice… from the leather wrapped doors, grab bars, real wood and metal consoles and clove box, and wood wheel… the wheel being where my hand resides 99.9% of the time when I’m driving. If that disappears then why not just buy a Laramie.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Funny, I feel the opposite.

The new buttons on the wheels are laid out more logically and have a better feel than the old ones.

I had a 2020 Limited and the wood section of the wheel was always this hard uncomfortable part compared to the nice soft leather. The heat was always uneven around the wheel because of the wood section too. It had cold spots where the material changed.

I prefer the digital gauge cluster over the old analog one as well. I don't need 3/4 of the real-estate taken up by a giant ring of numbers and a dial. Just give me the digital readout of my speed and RPMs and let me fill the rest with the gauges I care about or the big map while I'm exploring.

BigRigWrecker

Reaction score
@jsalbre, I’ll give you the heated wheel inconsistencies, my wood portion gets uncomfortably hot on high… that said… I still prefer the feel when I am running hours at a time down the interstate… and I love the look… it’s like a pretty women in 4 inch heals, they serve no practical purpose but I do prefer them

jsalbre

Reaction score
@jsalbre, I’ll give you the heated wheel inconsistencies, my wood portion gets uncomfortably hot on high… that said… I still prefer the feel when I am running hours at a time down the interstate… and I love the look… it’s like a pretty women in 4 inch heals, they serve no practical purpose but I do prefer them
Hah, I get the look thing. The Limited wheel certainly looks nice!

Tlpollock

Reaction score
Just caught first look at a 23 HR 2500 longhorn and was put off by the 1500 steering wheel, and absence of the the wood top.

I looked at a 1500 limited (standard limited with the black interior) and noticed it too is missing the wood wheel.

Does anyone know if that is by design or because of “supply issues”? Either way I have to say that between that and the tacky electronic gauge cluster I’m glad I didn’t wait on the 23’s when I bought my 3500 mega cab HO Longhorn.

Coming from a 19 1500 longhorn and 20 2500 limited mega cab, I have to say I freakin love the wood wheel, and it always gets compliments from my ford and Chevy friends (along with just about everything else about the interior).

What is the world coming to when a six figure rig doesn’t have analog gauges and a wooden topped steering wheel. I am open to arguments on the gauges… but we all know that new gauge cluster is probably 3 or 400 cheaper to build than the old ones in the limited and long horns… and it looks like the garbage ones they put in the 90’s Lincoln’s that are hard to see under certain lighting conditions… but no one will sell me on the all leather wrapped wheel.

I buy the limited or long horn trucks because I want something that not just looks nice, but also feels nice… from the leather wrapped doors, grab bars, real wood and metal consoles and clove box, and wood wheel… the wheel being where my hand resides 99.9% of the time when I’m driving. If that disappears then why not just buy a Laramie.
I looked at 23’s today and I love the wood on my 22 limited.
The steering wheel now is like a Laramie with all the options. I noticed today that Laramie no longer has factory fender flares ..
I am glad I ordered the 22 over the 23 model. I love the blue limited ring around the gauges , does the digital dash have that aesthetic?

BigRigWrecker

Reaction score
I looked at 23’s today and I love the wood on my 22 limited.
The steering wheel now is like a Laramie with all the options. I noticed today that Laramie no longer has factory fender flares ..
I am glad I ordered the 22 over the 23 model. I love the blue limited ring around the gauges , does the digital dash have that aesthetic?
Yeah agreed, I have owned a 19,20, and now a 22… I don’t get the removal of cool stuff 23’s… like the flares on the Laramie or the wood wheel on the limited and longhorns.

Re. The blue ring… they do something around the outer perimeter of the cluster… but I just don’t dig those electronic clusters… I love these trucks, but half of what makes them feel so special, is those crazy details in the analog cluster on the long horns and limiters, or the over the top stuff like the wood wheel.

First time my buddy got in my truck, he was like… I thought you were nuts spending 90k on a truck… but just sitting here… I can see, feel, etc. where that money went… if Ram looses that… they become ford… but don’t worry Ram, I don’t think you could ever slip to Chevy!

Users who are viewing this thread