Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 HD Crowdsourced Order Tracking & Waiting Room

Husker1972

Reaction score
Why would these trucks be so delayed? My dealer told me that I was going to be on a train today...wrong. But, he also said that there were 14,000 vehicles waiting to be shipped. If that's true, this group is just a small (but important) piece of the issue. All I want is an explanation telling me why my 9/13/2022 order is still open and what are they going to do to make me happy.
You’ve been waiting a lot longer than me so I’m sure that you’re more pissed at this overall situation than I am. My conclusion at this point is that there is something wrong with the trucks and they’re not going to tell us. The spreadsheet tells us that trucks are shipping so I don’t buy the backlog theory. If that’s really the case it means intentionally ignoring their older orders for newer ones (last in, first out inventory management). Whatever the reason it’s obvious that Ram is just not going to be forthcoming with accurate information and truly doesn’t care about any fallout tto their reputation. It has, unfortunately, been a trend with businesses in recent years - see what the public will tolerate in terms of inconvenience to reduce costs, with a willingness to accept a certain level of truly disgruntled customers.

Scherm

Reaction score
You’ve been waiting a lot longer than me so I’m sure that you’re more pissed at this overall situation than I am. My conclusion at this point is that there is something wrong with the trucks and they’re not going to tell us. The spreadsheet tells us that trucks are shipping so I don’t buy the backlog theory. If that’s really the case it means intentionally ignoring their older orders for newer ones (last in, first out inventory management). Whatever the reason it’s obvious that Ram is just not going to be forthcoming with accurate information and truly doesn’t care about any fallout tto their reputation. It has, unfortunately, been a trend with businesses in recent years - see what the public will tolerate in terms of inconvenience to reduce costs, with a willingness to accept a certain level of truly disgruntled customers.
I think there probably is something wrong with my truck. If that is true, how do you think this mascarade would play out? My new 5th wheel was delivered on 5/22. I either have to sell it or buy a truck to tow it. That leaves me with a few options: 1) wait for my truck, 2) buy a truck on the lot, or 3) order a 2024 and roll the dice on this process again.

Husker1972

Reaction score
I think there probably is something wrong with my truck. If that is true, how do you think this mascarade would play out? My new 5th wheel was delivered on 5/22. I either have to sell it or buy a truck to tow it. That leaves me with a few options: 1) wait for my truck, 2) buy a truck on the lot, or 3) order a 2024 and roll the dice on this process again.
I agree that there’s probably something wrong with our trucks and the Saltillo plant was designed to build trucks, not repair them. That idiot-gram from Ram made me so angry that I’m seriously considering walking away from the order. Even if my truck were shipped today I would be wondering about the lingering effects of it sitting idle in the hot Mexican sun for three months. I really wanted a Ram - have one now and love it - but this sort of arrogant attitude from Ram is really turning me against them. I learned long ago to not make a rash decision when emotionally charged up, so I’ll probably wait a day or two before deciding on the next move. I’m looking into the used truck market and Chevys. Ford has had so many quality control issues in recent years that I wouldn’t touch a new Ford vehicle. Your way forward is, obviously, totally up to you. From my perspective, I’d get something off a lot and start enjoying your 5th wheel. We have a travel trailer and there are few things I enjoy more than exploring the US in it. My wife and I are planning on a six week trip to points west including Yellowstone and Glacier beginning in late August. I’m not going to let Ram’s poor customer service stand in the way of that trip. Best wishes to you, whatever you decide. I’ll post more as I work my way through this. But right now, I’m not seeing a new Ram in my future.

OldGuy87

Reaction score
I’m in the same boat as you and Husker1972, I also believe my truck was damaged. Like you my new 5th wheel was delivered on April 10 and has not moved an inch. (My bad for thinking the March 23 Estimated delivery was semi accurate) I’m about to walk away from this deal. I’m going to get something temporary to use the camper. Then order a 2024 from GMC… as Ram does not deserve my business. I know I could get screwed by GMC as well, but hoping they will at least talk to me while doing it.
BYW- day 239….

pacnw1963

Reaction score
I agree that there’s probably something wrong with our trucks and the Saltillo plant was designed to build trucks, not repair them. That idiot-gram from Ram made me so angry that I’m seriously considering walking away from the order. Even if my truck were shipped today I would be wondering about the lingering effects of it sitting idle in the hot Mexican sun for three months. I really wanted a Ram - have one now and love it - but this sort of arrogant attitude from Ram is really turning me against them. I learned long ago to not make a rash decision when emotionally charged up, so I’ll probably wait a day or two before deciding on the next move. I’m looking into the used truck market and Chevys. Ford has had so many quality control issues in recent years that I wouldn’t touch a new Ford vehicle. Your way forward is, obviously, totally up to you. From my perspective, I’d get something off a lot and start enjoying your 5th wheel. We have a travel trailer and there are few things I enjoy more than exploring the US in it. My wife and I are planning on a six week trip to points west including Yellowstone and Glacier beginning in late August. I’m not going to let Ram’s poor customer service stand in the way of that trip. Best wishes to you, whatever you decide. I’ll post more as I work my way through this. But right now, I’m not seeing a new Ram in my future.
I’m in the same boat as you and Husker1972, I also believe my truck was damaged. Like you my new 5th wheel was delivered on April 10 and has not moved an inch. (My bad for thinking the March 23 Estimated delivery was semi accurate) I’m about to walk away from this deal. I’m going to get something temporary to use the camper. Then order a 2024 from GMC… as Ram does not deserve my business. I know I could get screwed by GMC as well, but hoping they will at least talk to me while doing it.
BYW- day 239….
FWIW...I think believing there is something wrong with our trucks is giving the plant way too much credit. Just like I saw last year, and now this year, the trucks have just been lost in the sea of the 14,000+ trucks waiting for a train. My truck has been sitting for 4 months, 14 days, and I am certain it is only because it was pushed to the side for whatever reason and is now lost. To say there is something wrong with my truck would me saying that the plant actually had a handle on all of the trucks there, which we all now the answer to that

popeye2002

Reaction score
While there is clearly piss poor communications at best on our trucks, I'm glad to have the opportunity to select the options I want when I get my truck. With all the negativity to the consumer in the process, I wonder if at some point a special order will no longer be possible? It just seems like that may be the corporate solution to ignore the real problem and take away our options.

Scherm

Reaction score
Here's a subject I'd like some opinion on. We know that orders for 2024 are being submitted. We don't know when production shall begin, but some have said mid July. It's hard to say when deliveries will happen. But, I think it's fair to say that a 2023 model won't be valued the same as a 2024 model. How should a person factor depreciation into a pricing strategy? I read an article on the internet that suggested a 6 year depreciation cycle that starts and runs mid-year to mid-year. I might argue that it could start at the built date. Using an arbitrary $100k purchase price and my 2/25 built date, my truck should be worth $6,379 less today than when it was built. It's probably an uphill battle to convince a dealer to lower the lot price based on that, but depreciation is a real thing.
1687359731870.png

popeye2002

Reaction score
Here's a subject I'd like some opinion on. We know that orders for 2024 are being submitted. We don't know when production shall begin, but some have said mid July. It's hard to say when deliveries will happen. But, I think it's fair to say that a 2023 model won't be valued the same as a 2024 model. How should a person factor depreciation into a pricing strategy? I read an article on the internet that suggested a 6 year depreciation cycle that starts and runs mid-year to mid-year. I might argue that it could start at the built date. Using an arbitrary $100k purchase price and my 2/25 built date, my truck should be worth $6,379 less today than when it was built. It's probably an uphill battle to convince a dealer to lower the lot price based on that, but depreciation is a real thing.
View attachment 58658
While I understand your thought, I think it's like trying to eat jello with a fork. FYI, I recently sold my 2008 Dodge Ram for 39K.... I only paid 45K brand new in 2008.... Good Luck with your argument but I do get your point.

pacnw1963

Reaction score
View attachment 58658
I think a 6 year depreciation cycle isn't completely correct for what I have seen. Last year, my 2022 truck was built on 5/19, and I finally took deliver on 8/15. 29 days later it was totaled with 1,286 miles on it. When the insurance company finally declared it a total lost 3 months later, they gave me full sticker price on a truck that was 4 months old, with miles, and the 2023's were already in production and people were already taking delivery.

Scherm

Reaction score
Okay @pacnw1963 and @popeye2002 ... you're right that reality is different than the accounting. I'm honestly trying to weave together some thoughts as to why RAM should offer up some incentives for this extra long wait. Depreciation had some logic to it, but if the vehicle isn't really worth anything less...the answer back might be to pound sand.

popeye2002

Reaction score
@Scherm , I swear my mind works a lot like yours when it comes to hard earned money. I think you should contact @AnthonyRI and see if he can "Hook You Up" as in, offer you a great deal but only if you are willing to wait for it all over again. also though, there are a few trucks on order that some of us have walked away from and you might be interested in snatching up a deal on one of those off of his lot?

gprguy

Reaction score
While the idea that Ram or the dealer should do something to compensate for this terrible customer service makes perfect sense, the reality is the dealer is better off having you walk away from your deal and eventually getting a nice truck to mark up on the lot for more money than you were going to pay. Some poor future sucker whose 2024 is hail damaged or falls off a train and gets annoyed enough to buy a truck off the lot instead will end up with it.

FWIW, I just paid for the late 2022 I found. It'll be on a truck shortly going cross country, I should have it in a week or two and I can get on with my life and my project.

Interestingly enough the dealer can ship the same size truck about the same distance as it is from Mexico to here, for the same price, but it only takes a week or two instead of Ram's standard 65 days to Oregon/Washington.

Last edited:

Husker1972

Reaction score
View attachment 58658
While it’s interesting food for thought the big initial depreciation comes when you take possession of the vehicle. I looked into that one (didn’t make sense that the value of a vehicle would drop by several thousand dollars overnight). What I found was that, if you were to take it back right away after taking possession of it (hence it’s a used car) any follow on customer would assume there’s something wrong with the vehicle, hence the big immediate drop in value. Don’t know if it’s true or not, but it seems reasonable. That wouldn’t come into play in your situation. But, certainly worth a try.

Husker1972

Reaction score
While the idea that Ram or the dealer should do something to compensate for this terrible customer service makes perfect sense, the reality is the dealer is better off having you walk away from your deal and eventually getting a nice truck to mark up on the lot for more money than you were going to pay. Some poor future sucker whose 2024 is hail damaged or falls of a train and gets annoyed enough to buy a truck off the lot instead will end up with it.

FWIW, I just paid for the late 2022 I found. It'll be on a truck shortly going cross country, I should have it in a week or two and I can get on with my life and my project.

Interestingly enough the dealer can ship the same size truck about the same distance as it is from Mexico to here, for the same price, but it only takes a week or two instead of Ram's standard 65 days to Oregon/Washington.
Glad you’re able to get on with your plans. I’ve got to believe that the relatively small numbers of us on this forum represent a reasonable sample of the entire Ram customer base. If you extrapolate those numbers you come up with a lot of customers who aren’t getting good service, but Ram has calculated, as you suggest, that they’ll be able to sell those vehicles for a greater profit in the future, so there’s no big incentive to bend over backwards to accommodate current customers. It’s that kind of groupthink that put each of the major American automakers into bankruptcy or near bankruptcy in the past. But, what the heck to I know?

Edlee

Reaction score
I hope they get y’all’s orders straightened out I got pretty lucky so far with the #2 it’s done kzm and on train with DD of July 13th ! Seems like they are trying to move all 23s out the plant n holdover pens and get started on 24s , I also seen on news few min ago that a tornado had ripped through Texas somewhere I just hope this one dodges the weather bullet this time !

pacnw1963

Reaction score
MD says my truck is in Port Allen, LA. I'm not sure I can believe anything at this point but I hope it's on it's way to Lake Charles, LA
View attachment 58686
When I drove by the lot on my way home yesterday I saw that the lot is at least 2/3's to 3/4's full right now. Hansel & Adkins, like everyone else, is super short of drivers right now and can't keep up with the trains coming in to make deliveries to the dealerships.

Users who are viewing this thread