Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Frequent Regen - P2459

scdo

Reaction score
I've seen other reports of this so I'll keep it to the point:

2023 Limited
5,500 miles
Threw code P2459 today (Frequent Regens)

I drive around town and Idle a lot (remote start or leave running while I run inside somewhere) to cool the cabin. It is 115 degrees in AZ right now so dealing with idling to cope with the heat.

I see the DPF gauge go up to 30 or 40% maybe every 50-100 miles.

I'm taking the truck in for service next week, but here are my questions...

- I'm planning a trip out of town (not towing) this weekend and wondering if it is safe to take the truck?
- I haven't cleared the code manually yet (I can via Jscan)... wondering if driving on the highway for a while might possibly clear the code?
- Would I be at risk of entering limp mode based on P2459 being present? If limp mode happens, could I use Jscan to get back to normal driving?

techman

Reaction score
You are fine, the truck is just doing what is meant to do. It is compensating for all that short trip and idling behavior.

That trip will do it some good as it needs a good run to clean things out.

scdo

Reaction score
Just drove 40 miles and dpf went from 30% back to 0%. Not sure if it was in active Regen or not.

Check engine is still on… would like to clear to get remote start back… with an appointment at the dealer next week, I’m hesitant to clear the code.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Just drove 40 miles and dpf went from 30% back to 0%. Not sure if it was in active Regen or not.

Check engine is still on… would like to clear to get remote start back… with an appointment at the dealer next week, I’m hesitant to clear the code.

The DPF page in the EVIC will tell you if you are in active regen.

The truck is simply compensating for a drive cycle it wasn’t intended for. With what information you have provided a diesel was the wrong engine choice.

More than 10 minutes (16.7%)of idle per hour of operation is considered excessive. The dealership will likely see your high idle time and tell you to idle it less.

scdo

Reaction score

The truck is simply compensating for a drive cycle it wasn’t intended for. With what information you have provided a diesel was the wrong engine choice.

More than 10 minutes (16.7%)of idle per hour of operation is considered excessive. The dealership will likely see your high idle time and tell you to idle it less.
I’m not convinced diesel was the wrong choice. Aren’t school buses diesel and don’t they idle all day long?

I do drive long highway distances while towing an RV for something like 30%-50% of the miles on the odometer.

I did speak to the dealer today right before they closed… the diesel tech said he’s been seeing a lot of this on the 22s and 23s and personally believes there’s an issue that needs to be addressed by Ram.

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not convinced diesel was the wrong choice. Aren’t school buses diesel and don’t the idle all day long?

I do drive long highway distances while towing an RV for something like 30%-50% of the miles on the odometer.

I did speak to the dealer today right before they closed… the diesel tech said he’s been seeing a lot of this on the 22s and 23s and personally believes there’s an issue that needs to be addressed by Ram.

School busses are much heavier and thus have an average higher load that means the DPF is hotter and there is more passive regen occurring. They also don’t idle all day long…

30-50% of miles towing is quite a bit given how you have described using the truck, are you sure you’re not exaggerating that number (these trucks track towing miles, so you can check. You should have 1,650-2,750 towing miles) Even if those numbers are correct, it’s the usage when you’re not towing that really matters for excessive regens and the code that tripped.

Nothing you have described sounds abnormal for now you have said you are operating the truck. There very well could be something wrong, but with what you have provided it doesn’t appear so.

Is the truck 100% stock? No mods to the intake or air filter?

scdo

Reaction score
I’ve had trouble locating this… I have the gauge but I’ve never noticed it saying anything about an active Regen - even as I see the DPF % dropping. I have the digital gauge cluster - maybe it is different?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve had trouble locating this… I have the gauge but I’ve never noticed it saying anything about an active Regen - even as I see the DPF % dropping. I have the digital gauge cluster - maybe it is different?

That I’m not sure of, on all the other screens the gauge goes away and an active regeneration message appears.

scdo

Reaction score
School busses are much heavier and thus have an average higher load that means the DPF is hotter and there is more passive regen occurring. They also don’t idle all day long…

30-50% of miles towing is quite a bit given how you have described using the truck, are you sure you’re not exaggerating that number (these trucks track towing miles, so you can check. You should have 1,650-2,750 towing miles) Even if those numbers are correct, it’s the usage when you’re not towing that really matters for excessive regens and the code that tripped.

Nothing you have described sounds abnormal for now you have said you are operating the truck. There very well could be something wrong, but with what you have provided it doesn’t appear so.

Is the truck 100% stock? No mods to the intake or air filter?

Not an exaggeration … I’ve towed at minimum 30% of the miles on the odometer and another decent chunk on long road trips (not towing). It’s just the low mileage small trips day-to-day in between where there’s higher idle, slower speeds, and no load.

jasmith348

Reaction score
There seem to be several of this with this problem. Harder use helps, but it seems as if once the truck starts this, then even 5 miles of city driving can trigger an active regen. That's obvisouly not right. There's a long thread under the Cummins forum in the power train sub-forum. Not sure anyone has found a fix yet. People have tried air filters, oil changes, changing certain hoses, etc. Mine is in the shop for some new injectors most likely with this issue.

On your questions: a long trip out of town will be good for this issue, this code will not clear itself (my dealer thought it would, but it will not) and shouldnt generally lead to a de-rate code, but my understanding if you do get a de-rate code, you can't clear those, though I might be wrong on that. I've driven mine about 350 miles interstate/highway in the past 8-9 days with the same code present with the CEL still active. My dealer says there is no issue driving the truck with that code.

scdo

Reaction score
There seem to be several of this with this problem. Harder use helps, but it seems as if once the truck starts this, then even 5 miles of city driving can trigger an active regen. That's obvisouly not right. There's a long thread under the Cummins forum in the power train sub-forum. Not sure anyone has found a fix yet. People have tried air filters, oil changes, changing certain hoses, etc. Mine is in the shop for some new injectors most likely with this issue.

On your questions: a long trip out of town will be good for this issue, this code will not clear itself (my dealer thought it would, but it will not) and shouldnt generally lead to a de-rate code, but my understanding if you do get a de-rate code, you can't clear those, though I might be wrong on that. I've driven mine about 350 miles interstate/highway in the past 8-9 days with the same code present with the CEL still active. My dealer says there is no issue driving the truck with that code.
This is helpful - thank you!

I assume it would be a bad idea for me to manually clear the code ahead of my appointment at the dealer next week? The only annoyance right now is not being able to use remote start in the 115 month long heat spell in Arizona!

DRAGRAM

Reaction score
This is helpful - thank you!

I assume it would be a bad idea for me to manually clear the code ahead of my appointment at the dealer next week? The only annoyance right now is not being able to use remote start in the 115 month long heat spell in Arizona!
I would clear that code in a heartbeat. They going to call you a liar? Besides I think it wiil be in history if you are able to clear it. In other words it will change from active to history. I have seen my DPF Gauge go down in % without an active regen many times. But if you happen to have the DPF gauge up in the Display and it does happen to do an active regen it will tell you. I also would idle as needed and if the DPF Gauge got to something like 75% I would hit the highway at 75 MPH for 30 minutes. These newer trucks with the regen strategy are fine as long as they are working right. I think that code is just telling you to watch out. But the fact that it's reginning all the time is normal for what you are doing. Just my opinion.
I rarely look at my DPF gauge and I just drive my Truck how I want. Although I do not need to idle as much as you do. I am in Kingman and walk almost everywhere I need to.

Also, if you ONLY have that one code and no other codes present, you are likely wasting your time going to the dealer. They will reset it and send you down the road.........If you can reset it and it does not reset on it's own then you are stuck.

orlando bull

Reaction score
How often are you going into regen?

My truck is in the shop now, was doing a regen every 80-100 miles, got a CEL once for maybe 5 minutes, then it went away.

Last week, I was poking around on here and saw people talking about the air filters in these things. My regens started shortly after I changed my oil, though it wasn't immediate because I did some towing right after that and it wasn't doing it while towing... anyway, I put in a wix filter from the auto parts store and I think that may have been my culprit. Last regen was I think on Tuesday, changed the filter on Thursday, maybe 60 miles after the last regen, drove it on Friday and over the weekend and to the dealer today, maybe another 70-80 miles and it hasn't done another regen... DPF guage is showing ~40% full, but that could be the time before changing the filter getting me.

Any way, if you did an early oil change as some do, could be a bad air filter causing your issues.

scdo

Reaction score
How often are you going into regen?

My truck is in the shop now, was doing a regen every 80-100 miles, got a CEL once for maybe 5 minutes, then it went away.

Last week, I was poking around on here and saw people talking about the air filters in these things. My regens started shortly after I changed my oil, though it wasn't immediate because I did some towing right after that and it wasn't doing it while towing... anyway, I put in a wix filter from the auto parts store and I think that may have been my culprit. Last regen was I think on Tuesday, changed the filter on Thursday, maybe 60 miles after the last regen, drove it on Friday and over the weekend and to the dealer today, maybe another 70-80 miles and it hasn't done another regen... DPF guage is showing ~40% full, but that could be the time before changing the filter getting me.

Any way, if you did an early oil change as some do, could be a bad air filter causing your issues.
Mine goes into regen around the same I think. As far as I can tell, there’s no official indication that it is in regen on the new digital cluster.

I just completed a 400 mile road-trip. I believe it did a regen twice as I saw it get up to 40% twice then slowly work back down to 0%. But I don’t know for sure… I was running at 75 mph most of the time so maybe it was passive? I was surprised to see it climbing up to 40% when driving at highways speeds in the first place.

I did clear the check engine light before my trip and it hasn’t come back on yet.

I’m now just over 6,000 miles. Haven’t done a first oil change or changed any filters yet.

jkempken

Reaction score

I had the excessive regen code and it cleared it self after I changed to the correct air filer and 2 regens. Still seeing fairly frequent regens with my daily diving to and from work, about 10-15 miles at 55-60 MPH.

JeffFred

Reaction score

I respectfully disagree. I have a 2023 3500 with 6300 miles. When I first got this truck which is a replacement for my 2022 with a blown up transmission with 20,000 miles it did not Regen that often. I had to idle for a few days because of the heat and it threw Codes P2454, P244A, P2459, P2453, and P2456. The first check engine light came on in Iowa, LA and I spent the next 9 days clearing codes at least twice a day. I got it to a dealership in Savannah, GA after a hard 700 mile drive pulling a goose neck trailer getting 5.3 MPG with the check engine on and they did some tests and said it passed all tests. They did say it had a code for frequent regens. They reflashed the computer and sent me on my way. Now the truck regens about every 30 miles. It is in Regen more then it isn't. I currently have 4 3500 trucks. A 2016 which has been the best even thought the EGR cooler went out and turbo issues. I have a 2021, 2022, and the newest problem child is the 2023. All of these spend most of the time pulling trailers. If the check engine light is on, there's something wrong.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. I have a 2023 3500 with 6300 miles. When I first got this truck which is a replacement for my 2022 with a blown up transmission with 20,000 miles it did not Regen that often. I had to idle for a few days because of the heat and it threw Codes P2454, P244A, P2459, P2453, and P2456. The first check engine light came on in Iowa, LA and I spent the next 9 days clearing codes at least twice a day. I got it to a dealership in Savannah, GA after a hard 700 mile drive pulling a goose neck trailer getting 5.3 MPG with the check engine on and they did some tests and said it passed all tests. They did say it had a code for frequent regens. They reflashed the computer and sent me on my way. Now the truck regens about every 30 miles. It is in Regen more then it isn't. I currently have 4 3500 trucks. A 2016 which has been the best even thought the EGR cooler went out and turbo issues. I have a 2021, 2022, and the newest problem child is the 2023. All of these spend most of the time pulling trailers. If the check engine light is on, there's something wrong.

Your scenario is different that who I was talking to, in your case something is certainly wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread