Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Cummins CAI P0402

Meyer

Reaction score
Recently invested in the Banks Pedal Monster, Banks CAI kits & Banks 5" exhaust kit. After 50 miles code P0402 appeared. Called Banks as I see many others did after this happened to them, I was informed their aware of this and don't have a solution or do they know when. I have removed this and reinstalled the stock CAI and will be returning this for a refund. Additionally, the Pedal Monster was throwing the P2509 code. This is going back to Banks to be tested to find out why.

With not wanting to wait for Banks to find a solution I'm looking for an alternative option for the intake. Has anyone tried a K&N replacement filter? Anyone experienced the P0402 code getting thrown with the S&B CAI?

AZCummins

Reaction score
I have been running the S&B with dry filter for about 6 months on my 2020 with no issues so far (knock on wood). Seems like the 4.5 gen HD trucks are VERY irritable when you get an aftermarket intake involved. Considering going back to stock to see what it does to my regen frequency as I have been reading anything but stock with the OEM filter will cause regen issues.

scrmblr2

Reaction score
I put a Banks “exhaust” on my 23. It was basically a pipe with a big black tip. It was what I was looking for, so no real buyers remorse. It would seems modding 23 and up is riddle with issues unless u r willing to tune. I am staying “stock” on that end of tuning, so now I a focusing on appearance (slight commit in the mouth) for now. Figured I would see if that extended warranty is needed/ worth anything. Dpf is my current concer along with durability of 68rfe & intake heater nut.

Had been considering Cai, intake horn, diff cover, and tuner. But the longer it goes with Banks addressing anything, the less likely it seems those items will ever be bought. Guess I should have gone duramax…..

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Seems like the 4.5 gen HD trucks are VERY irritable when you get an aftermarket intake involved.

Nothing new for Gen 4.5, all 6.7’a with stock tuning are hit and miss with intakes.

Meyer

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, my 68rfe had to be completely replaced on my '23 at 5k miles.

orlando bull

Reaction score
Just put the S&B with dry filter on my truck, only 50 or so miles so far, but no codes. I was getting regens every 200 miles or so, read that some have seen regen frequency reduce with S&B, so I am giving it a shot. Probably will have my first regen soon (benefit of the doubt is that most of the time since last regen was with old setup), then will monitor.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I would strongly advise steering clear from K&N filters. You don't get better airflow out of the same surface area unless you reduce the filters ability to collect particles.

As for the intake, I'm surprised to keep hearing this from Banks, as they have seemed so solid previously from a product quality perspective. It sounds like they are having similar issues to what S&B had on their first intake for the 19+ trucks.

As others have said, the 19+ trucks are incredibly touchy with what air filters they want. I ordered a new filter for my 19 and was given one from the 18 and older trucks because of a backorder. I assumed nothing of it but after about a week of infrequent use I started getting low boost codes that appeared off and on until I switched it with the proper "4.5 gen" filter.

Users who are viewing this thread