Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 3500 SRW with factory rear air leveling - lift or leveling kit to fit 37" tires suggestion??

BigBlue22

Reaction score
I have a 2023 3500 Mega Cab sport SRW with factory rear air leveling. Been looking and searching all over for a good leveling kit or lift kit that is for a truck with rear air auto level.

I can find kits but would like to hear from someone that has something on the same truck that is pleased with the results.

I keep seeing IF you use the right wheel and IF you trim etc. Please help!!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
What are your goals for the truck?

Is it just to run 37’s? Or do you plan to tow and want to use Alternate Ride height without being tail low?

BigBlue22

Reaction score
What are your goals for the truck?

Is it just to run 37’s? Or do you plan to tow and want to use Alternate Ride height without being tail low?
Thanks for reaching out! So the answer is both. I'm not dead set on 37's but would prefer them. The truck is going to be a back up for my 5500 so I need to make sure I don't make it unusable for towing. I used to tow with a camper on my lifted HD2500 GMC. Now I won't be using a camper but need to keep the towing capacity up. Your profile says you have a 2022 3500. Do you have a gooseneck hitch in by any chance. It's crossed my mind to just switch from alternate ride height to regular aftermarket air bags. Is there a way on here to message directly or call? are you up for that? Please let me know.

Tom

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Having ran both, I would not ditch the OEM setup for aftermarket bags, but that comes down to use as well.

If you want to retain OEM level load handling and auto-level capabilities I’d run a Thuren 1.75” level spring, Thuren anti-sway bar, 2” rear spacer, and 2” rear airbag spacers. I’d then tweak the auto-level sensors to find the best combo of a level ride and a smooth ride. That should allow you to run 37’s on a +18mm offset wheel and have minimal to zero rubbing, while retaining the load carrying/handling capabilities of the OEM auto-level.

If you’re less concerned both the load carrying/handling then look at the 3.25” lift for auto-level trucks from Carli, with the Thuren anti-sway bar.

I have the OEM GN hitch, but so far have just used the OEM 5th wheel pucks.

BigBlue22

Reaction score
Having ran both, I would not ditch the OEM setup for aftermarket bags, but that comes down to use as well.

If you want to retain OEM level load handling and auto-level capabilities I’d run a Thuren 1.75” level spring, Thuren anti-sway bar, 2” rear spacer, and 2” rear airbag spacers. I’d then tweak the auto-level sensors to find the best combo of a level ride and a smooth ride. That should allow you to run 37’s on a +18mm offset wheel and have minimal to zero rubbing, while retaining the load carrying/handling capabilities of the OEM auto-level.

If you’re less concerned both the load carrying/handling then look at the 3.25” lift for auto-level trucks from Carli, with the Thuren anti-sway bar.

I have the OEM GN hitch, but so far have just used the OEM 5th wheel pucks.
Curious...If I lift the front 1.75" and the rear 2"'s won't it be even more raked than from the factory? I feel like I'm missing something? I'm hoping to get it closer to level

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Curious...If I lift the front 1.75" and the rear 2"'s won't it be even more raked than from the factory? I feel like I'm missing something? I'm hoping to get it closer to level

Yes, but you can tweak the sensors to get a little lower ride height in the rear. The softer front springs will also react differently to a load than the stiff OEM springs.

You should also go measure your current stance. Measure from a fixed place on the wheel, I use the center cap lip, to the fender front and rear. That will tell you your rake. Subtract 1” from the rear for your stance in ALT ride height. That being said there is some adjustability with the stock sensors for minor rear ride height adjustment.

On my auto-level 1.75” front and 2” rear would sit dead level with a bumper pull load and slightly tail high with a 5th wheel or heavy bed payload in ALT. There would be a slight rake in normal, which I like the look of and it lets it sit level in ALT.

The 2.25” springs and 2” spacers would be nearly level in normal, but slightly tail low in ALT.

This is all why it’s matters if maintaining the ALT stance and loading/handling is important to you or not.

tcedgar8

Reaction score
Hey there I'm currently running Most of the Thuren catalog with a 19' Ram 3500 factory Air. I've got 2.25 front coils Track bar and swaybar in the front.
The rear is Traxda 1" rear bag spacer and 1" leaf spacer. along with Thuren Greaseable shackles. I originally had the Bilstein 5160 anf 5100s the 5160 is to short for the 3500 with Thuren coils so I switched to Fox 2.5 DSC front and rear. Truck is on 35s but should be plenty of room for 37" with that setup. The Thuren web site along with the CJC Youtube channel has all the info you need to pick the right set up for you.

Enve46

Reaction score
Hey there I'm currently running Most of the Thuren catalog with a 19' Ram 3500 factory Air. I've got 2.25 front coils Track bar and swaybar in the front.
The rear is Traxda 1" rear bag spacer and 1" leaf spacer. along with Thuren Greaseable shackles. I originally had the Bilstein 5160 anf 5100s the 5160 is to short for the 3500 with Thuren coils so I switched to Fox 2.5 DSC front and rear. Truck is on 35s but should be plenty of room for 37" with that setup. The Thuren web site along with the CJC Youtube channel has all the info you need to pick the right set up for you.
Let’s see some pics, sounds like a sweet set up. I’m itching for a 3500 Long Bed

tcedgar8

Reaction score
This is before I swapped to the Fox 2.5 DSC. It sure looks like my truck is taller with the bigger shocks. I couldn't compress them when they were on the upper mount lol

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-25 221924.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-25 221924.png
    955.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot 2024-02-25 221718.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-25 221718.png
    521.2 KB · Views: 27

Garcia320

Reaction score
This is before I swapped to the Fox 2.5 DSC. It sure looks like my truck is taller with the bigger shocks. I couldn't compress them when they were on the upper mount lol
do you have any more pics? I am looking at doing the same setup on my 22 3500 . Does it sit level or a little rear high still? I don’t want exactly level or nose high.

tcedgar8

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't have any decent pictures and the trucks in the shop for body work. Ill get some pictures when shoes clean and back. I have some rear gravel guards to install and I'm thinking I'll fabricate some DCS guards. Wiggs me out having the piggy back on the bottom. It wont look much different than above but ill take some better ones either way.

Attachments

• Fox shocks rear.jpg
    Fox shocks rear.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 19

tcedgar8

Reaction score
do you have any more pics? I am looking at doing the same setup on my 22 3500 . Does it sit level or a little rear high still? I don’t want exactly level or nose high.
You'll have to measure your truck they'll be different from on another I'm 99% sure mine is very slight rake. less than 1" taller in the back if measured. again I can also confirm that when I get the truck back. If you haul a trailer I wouldn't go much higher than a 1" block in the rear as the hitch height get obnoxious quickly. Even when my truck was stock on 35s (same as pictured) all my trailers were pretty raked due to hitch height. I've used my Alternate trailer height lately just to level goose neck out.

Garcia320

Reaction score
You'll have to measure your truck they'll be different from on another I'm 99% sure mine is very slight rake. less than 1" taller in the back if measured. again I can also confirm that when I get the truck back. If you haul a trailer I wouldn't go much higher than a 1" block in the rear as the hitch height get obnoxious quickly. Even when my truck was stock on 35s (same as pictured) all my trailers were pretty raked due to hitch height. I've used my Alternate trailer height lately just to level goose neck out.
Thanks!! I’ll measure and see. If 1” in rear, that will be perfect. thanks again. I load dirt bikes in the bed so not wanting to go any higher for sure!! Getting to old for that crap!

tcedgar8

Reaction score
Thanks!! I’ll measure and see. If 1” in rear, that will be perfect. thanks again. I load dirt bikes in the bed so not wanting to go any higher for sure!! Getting to old for that crap!
Yeah I think you'll Like 1" it looks some what dead level but its not. and two dirt bike should activate the airbags to level out. I did adjust my valves so when nothings in the bed its got softer bags. and yes getting old sucks and I'm not even old lol. My next purchase may be a good bed step.

tcedgar8

Reaction score
Hey Got my truck back and measured much to my surprise The truck is box high 0.5". Front is 26.5 rear was 27 even. Just added a 400L slip tank so might be the same or dead level.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Got my truck back and measured much to my surprise The truck is box high 0.5". Front is 26.5 rear was 27 even. Just added a 400L slip tank so might be the same or dead level.

With auto-level it will stay the same in the rear in normal mode. Depending on the CG the front may increase or increase height.

If you engage alternate ride height you will lower the rear by 1”.

Your truck sits much higher in the rear than mine. An effective 1.25” level would leave me nose high by 0.25” in normal mode and .75” low in alternate. My truck also has slightly more rake than my dads ‘22 auto-level does.

jenninr

Reaction score
With auto-level it will stay the same in the rear in normal mode. Depending on the CG the front may increase or increase height.

If you engage alternate ride height you will lower the rear by 1”.

Your truck sits much higher in the rear than mine. An effective 1.25” level would leave me nose high by 0.25” in normal mode and .75” low in alternate. My truck also has slightly more rake than my dads ‘22 auto-level does.
I can't remember exactly what the measurements on my stock truck are but IIRC they are very close to yours. I was thinking about installing the Thuren 0.5" front springs and I remember thinking it would make the truck about dead level in alt trailer mode, which would probably look a little squatted to the eye. I'll try to remember to measure mine this afternoon. If I did the 2.25" front springs, I would have to add 2" blocks in the rear to keep my truck sitting how I would want it. I doubt I will ever do more than the .5" though because I doubt I'll ever run more than a 35" tire and I want to be able to fit in my garage. Really, the only reason to run the .5" springs to get a more compliant ride.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't remember exactly what the measurements on my stock truck are but IIRC they are very close to yours. I was thinking about installing the Thuren 0.5" front springs and I remember thinking it would make the truck about dead level in alt trailer mode, which would probably look a little squatted to the eye. I'll try to remember to measure mine this afternoon. If I did the 2.25" front springs, I would have to add 2" blocks in the rear to keep my truck sitting how I would want it. I doubt I will ever do more than the .5" though because I doubt I'll ever run more than a 35" tire and I want to be able to fit in my garage. Really, the only reason to run the .5" springs to get a more compliant ride.

I wanted to run the .5” springs but I’m already dead level in ALT with the 5th wheel and about .25” nose high with a heavy bumper pull (1400+TW), so the .5” springs don’t work out for me.

If I were to lift it I’d probably go .5” springs and 1” rear blocks/spacers.

TBH the active rate sway bar did so much for the ride that I’m not looking at springs anymore. It rides better than any other 3500 I’ve been in.

jenninr

Reaction score
I wanted to run the .5” springs but I’m already dead level in ALT with the 5th wheel and about .25” nose high with a heavy bumper pull (1400+TW), so the .5” springs don’t work out for me.

If I were to lift it I’d probably go .5” springs and 1” rear blocks/spacers.

TBH the active rate sway bar did so much for the ride that I’m not looking at springs anymore. It rides better than any other 3500 I’ve been in.
I haven't actually measured mine when I've had a heavy trailer hooked up so I might be in the same boat. I'm honestly pretty happy with how my truck rides as long as I have the air pressure in the tires set right. The main issue I have with it is the shocks, they don't have near enough damping. I am also planning to do the sway bar whether or not I do the springs just based on how much improvement everyone says they see out of it.

tcedgar8

Reaction score
I had 35s on my truck when stock with aftermarket rims. I'm sure we've documented what rims and tires fit to death on this forum. Look into a sway bar for the ride and even shocks. But the .5 is an estimate. all trucks are different. Thurens site is full of great info on the subject.

Users who are viewing this thread