What's new
Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 2500 Big Horn Front 4x4 axle question

Braggster

Reaction score
Good morning all,
2023 Big Horn 4x4 diesel.
Does anyone know if the front axle spins freely while driving in 2 wheel drive or only engages and spins in 4 wheel drive?
Having an issue with vibration in the front in and noticed that Les Schwab did not install the front clocking ring and cross member supports that were included in the 6 inch lift kit last summer. Was sitting on lot new with READYLIFT 6 inch kit w bilsteins when bought in August. Dealership had Les Schwab put on lift kit before it hit the sales lot. I have an appointment with Les Schwab on Tuesday to verify kit installed and if it does require the ring (which it should because the only 6 inch readylift kit w bilsteins has it required.
Anyone know if the front axle spins when driving in 2 wheel? Appreciate any help!

Attachments

• IMG_0436.jpeg
    IMG_0436.jpeg
    663.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0443.jpeg
    IMG_0443.jpeg
    527.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0426.jpeg
    IMG_0426.jpeg
    673.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0274.jpeg
    IMG_0274.jpeg
    688.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0427.jpeg
    IMG_0427.jpeg
    545.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0439.jpeg
    IMG_0439.jpeg
    353.1 KB · Views: 35
Good morning all,
2023 Big Horn 4x4 diesel.
Does anyone know if the front axle spins freely while driving in 2 wheel drive or only engages and spins in 4 wheel drive?
Having an issue with vibration in the front in and noticed that Les Schwab did not install the front clocking ring and cross member supports that were included in the 6 inch lift kit last summer. Was sitting on lot new with READYLIFT 6 inch kit w bilsteins when bought in August. Dealership had Les Schwab put on lift kit before it hit the sales lot. I have an appointment with Les Schwab on Tuesday to verify kit installed and if it does require the ring (which it should because the only 6 inch readylift kit w bilsteins has it required.
Anyone know if the front axle spins when driving in 2 wheel? Appreciate any help!
The axle spins, the driveshaft does not. There's a disconnect in the middle of the passenger side axle shaft that separates when you're in 2WD. With this disconnected and the transfer case disconnected the passenger side wheel spins the outboard half of the passenger side axle, the driver side wheel spins the drivers side axle shaft, which spins the connected differential side gear. Because the passenger side inner axle shaft has less resistance to turning than the entire differential carrier and front driveshaft the drivers side gear spins the spider gears and the inside passenger side shaft actually spins backwards.

I appreciate everyone’s replies and help. Thanks for the compliments and valued detailed info on the operation of the axle. READYLIFT is sending Les Schwab the indexing ring and they will be installing. I guess they installed an older kit that did it include the ring. It should be taken care of. Lots of very knowledgeable people on here willing to help and I appreciate it !

Yes the driveshaft will spin but not under load it is just getting residual spin from the drivers side axle spinning the carrier it is not enough to cause a vibration.

I appreciate your help! Readylift is sending the indexing ring kit free directly to Les Schwab and they are going to give me a good discount to install. The kit they installed did not include the indexing ring kit with it as it was an added price if you wanted to add that with the kit. If you go to READYLIFTs website now and type in my year truck 2023 for 6 inch lift kits, they all include it, it’s not optional. I was under the truck tonight and see why they needed to add it. Without the transfer case indexing kit, the high angle from the axle bent the metal sleeve or guard coming off the front of the transfer case (I rotated the axle from the 6 o’clock position to show for pic). It has to be included for a 6 inch kit. It shouldn’t be optional for 5th gen HD trucks.

Attachments

• IMG_0445.jpeg
    IMG_0445.jpeg
    607 KB · Views: 23
I appreciate your help! Readylift is sending the indexing ring kit free directly to Les Schwab and they are going to give me a good discount to install. The kit they installed did not include the indexing ring kit with it as it was an added price if you wanted to add that with the kit. If you go to READYLIFTs website now and type in my year truck 2023 for 6 inch lift kits, they all include it, it’s not optional. I was under the truck tonight and see why they needed to add it. Without the transfer case indexing kit, the high angle from the axle bent the metal sleeve or guard coming off the front of the transfer case (I rotated the axle from the 6 o’clock position to show for pic). It has to be included for a 6 inch kit. It shouldn’t be optional for 5th gen HD trucks.
These are not 5th gens fyi but yea thats a dumb design the old drive shaft was much better

These are not 5th gens fyi but yea thats a dumb design the old drive shaft was much better
Yep. There’s some good aftermarket serviceable driveshafts out there I’d more than likely go with one of them if my oem were to take a dump.

Back