Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram HD Builds and orders - Post and discuss your TRUCK order here! ** NEW USERS READ POST #1 **

CharlieTangoWhiskey

Reaction score
There is nothing in the owners manual for the diesel break in that limits you to 50mph for the first 500 miles of non-towing. My 22 owners manual for my SO says:
ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS —
DIESEL ENGINE
The Cummins® Turbo Diesel engine does not
require a break-in period due to its construction.
Normal operation is allowed, providing the
following recommendations are followed:
 Warm up the engine before placing it under load.
 Do not operate the engine at idle for prolonged
periods.
 Use the appropriate transmission gear to
prevent engine lugging.
 Observe vehicle oil pressure and temperature
indicators.
 Check the coolant and oil levels frequently.
 Vary throttle position at highway speeds when
carrying or towing significant weight.
Sir, you are dead wrong. The manual clearly states the two break-in periods in the manual in the towing section. Its not an engine break-in. its for the trans and running gears.

jebruns

Reaction score
Sir, you are dead wrong. The manual clearly states the two break-in periods in the manual in the towing section. Its not an engine break-in. its for the trans and running gears.
I said the first 500 non-towing miles. I know there is some towing break in, and I did not disagree on that part. But to be complete, here is the towing break in from the manual. And it does mention more than the trans and running gears:
 Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles
(805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine,
axle or other parts could be damaged.
 Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that
a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph
(80 km/h) and do not make starts at full
throttle. This helps the engine and other parts
of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads.

CharlieTangoWhiskey

Reaction score
I said the first 500 non-towing miles. I know there is some towing break in, and I did not disagree on that part. But to be complete, here is the towing break in from the manual. And it does mention more than the trans and running gears:
 Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles
(805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine,
axle or other parts could be damaged.
 Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that
a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph
(80 km/h) and do not make starts at full
throttle. This helps the engine and other parts
of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads.
page 223 of the manual.

Attachments

• tow.JPG
    tow.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 27

jebruns

Reaction score
page 223 of the manual.
Which is exactly what I posted above. Not sure what your point is here? Are you saying there is some MPH restriction on the first 500 of non-towing miles on a Ram Cummins? If so, please show me where it says that.

CharlieTangoWhiskey

Reaction score
Which is exactly what I posted above. Not sure what your point is here? Are you saying there is some MPH restriction on the first 500 of non-towing miles on a Ram Cummins? If so, please show me where it says that.
The manual states not to use WOT in the first 500 miles. I thought i read somewhere not to exceed 55 MPH, but it could have been for the gas. I checking the manual now.

jebruns

Reaction score
The manual states not to use WOT in the first 500 miles.
Actually, it does not say that in the diesel section. Probably a wise plan, but Ram does not say anything about it for the first 500 miles. I've read some debate about if the first 500 miles of towing restrictions are really for the gas truck too. But that's for another day.

CharlieTangoWhiskey

Reaction score
Actually, it does not say that in the diesel section. Probably a wise plan, but Ram does not say anything about it for the first 500 miles. I've read some debate about if the first 500 miles of towing restrictions are really for the gas truck too. But that's for another day.
My apologies, you are correct. The manual used to state no WOT the first 500 miles and not to exceed 50 MPH while towing for the first 500 miles. Both of these have always been in question because the manual also states that heavy loads assist in the final finishing of the Cummins and could take up to 6k miles. The manual now only lists the tow condition (5/22). I know my truck was HP and Torque limited until it got 500 - 600 miles on it. The truck changed again after 500 tow miles. It stopped using so much DEF and MPG increased.

jebruns

Reaction score
My apologies, you are correct. The manual used to state no WOT the first 500 miles and not to exceed 50 MPH while towing for the first 500 miles. Both of these have always been in question because the manual also states that heavy loads assist in the final finishing of the Cummins and could take up to 6k miles. The manual now only lists the tow condition (5/22). I know my truck was HP and Torque limited until it got 500 - 600 miles on it. The truck changed again after 500 tow miles. It stopped using so much DEF and MPG increased.
No problems, this stuff changes over time. Like the new oil requirements for the newer 6.7 Cummins. Tough to keep up on all of it.

The manual does still say not to drive over 50mph for the first 500 towing miles, though. That has to be a tough one for most folks. My first towing miles are through some twisty, hilly Ozark Mt roads. Hard to go over 50 on a lot of them!

CharlieTangoWhiskey

Reaction score
No problems, this stuff changes over time. Like the new oil requirements for the newer 6.7 Cummins. Tough to keep up on all of it.

The manual does still say not to drive over 50mph for the first 500 towing miles, though. That has to be a tough one for most folks. My first towing miles are through some twisty, hilly Ozark Mt roads. Hard to go over 50 on a lot of them!
The Aisin trans service intervals changed as well. We ended up taking back roads the first 500 miles to stay off the interstate. It was grueling to say the least.

T_night

Reaction score
I’ve been trying the tracker for months and it doesn’t give me anything just says no info. Anyone else have this issue?

bslow

Reaction score
Tracker changed to shipped. Was initially so excited but look at ship date. Anyone get a result like this? Same as build date? Did it really ship? Estimated delivery still TBD. @brv10 can you check please
i sat like that for 3 months

Servant

Reaction score
Tracker changed to shipped. Was initially so excited but look at ship date. Anyone get a result like this? Same as build date? Did it really ship? Estimated delivery still TBD. @brv10 can you check please
I would be inclined to ask them where they sent it!

1ram

Reaction score
No, build date 9/27, ship day 12/26.. only 3 months later. But not as long as some

1ram

Reaction score
Here is a copy of our latest Diesel savings. the 50 gallon tank makes a massive difference. Before we were having to fill up every 200-250 miles for 20 gallons. Now we can go almost over 400 and fill up with 30-40 gallons. It decreases the transaction cost. saving anywhere from .20 to 1.50 a gallon. Averages about 6% a month, plus we get to use the trucker islands and dont have to go inside at all.
Which tank did you get? I am looking at S&B. I heard that it screws up all the system tracking MPG, distance to empty, etc. have you found that to be true?

Users who are viewing this thread