Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram HD Builds and orders - Post and discuss your TRUCK order here! ** NEW USERS READ POST #1 **

2500Ram

Reaction score
But what if dealers are selling for almost 12% under msrp like MD ? I’m sure they are still making money, not as much , but make up for that in the volume they sell.
Thats my confusion too. Koons is around 12-13% off sticker at the moment (per my bad math). So even under invoice they're making $3-4K I guess...I am not complaining about a company making a profit by the way....just trying to understand what they're talking about because its a confusing business. In my business INVOICE is what I paid my vendor. BELOW INVOICE is nonsense because I have bills to pay after the sale. HOLDBACK is what my family takes from me.

Anrkist

Reaction score
Got my truck yesterday.
Flew in to TUL on the redeye and was on the road home before noon.
Dealer had the tanks topped off and I made good time westbound on i40, got 800 miles on the first tank before checking in for some sleep.
Very impressed with the 8.4 Nav screen and wireless Android Auto so far. Auto high beam and auto wipers also very convenient.
Can't wait to get home and take some time to customize all the techno features to my liking.
Glad to hear you like the screen I was going to order the 12" but had 3 different dealers tell me the 8.4 was the better way to go. Seems counterintuitive as a tech guy but I trusted their judgement and ordered the 8.4"

pacnw1963

Reaction score
But what if dealers are selling for almost 12% under msrp like MD ? I’m sure they are still making money, not as much , but make up for that in the volume they sell.

Thats my confusion too. Koons is around 12-13% off sticker at the moment (per my bad math). So even under invoice they're making $3-4K I guess...I am not complaining about a company making a profit by the way....just trying to understand what they're talking about because its a confusing business. In my business INVOICE is what I paid my vendor. BELOW INVOICE is nonsense because I have bills to pay after the sale. HOLDBACK is what my family takes from me.

@Scubaz66 shared: "Dealer Hold Back is an amount manufacturer returns to a dealer after the auto has been sold. If I recall these are Factory Incentives to encourage the dealer to sell as many autos as possible. Dealer Hold Back on my $60K RAM Big Horn was approximately $1750.00. Therefore if the dealer sold you the vehicle for Dealer Invoice they still make $1750 on the sale. Not bad for a few hours of work."

Think of dealer hold back (my understanding) as what the dealer gets from the manufacturer once they sell the vehicle. If they sell at invoice, they are still getting the hold-back.

By my limited math skills using fingers and toes: That explains how MD is doing so well and making bank! They sold 500+ vehicles last month, and using just your $1,750 dealer kick back, they are still grossing $875,000 for the month! Awesome business model!!!

Anrkist

Reaction score
i have ordered a few things, caps, hitch pin suggested by another forum member, sill plates, black lug nuts, def, obd2 adapter and dongle, led bulbs for the interior - also suggestion from another member, i forget what else at this point ;-)
what kind of hitch pin? looking for one now and might as well get a recommendation ;)

maxx442

Reaction score
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it has been a thing since 2018. My assigned 2018 Dodge Charger, and my now assigned 2018 Chevy Tahoe have no gas cap. It is integrated into the door that closes on the filler. It has a rubber seal that seals the gas filler when you close the door.
Ram has been doing the no cap deal on diesels since at least 2015. My Ecodiesel is the first time I experienced it.

Scubaz66

Reaction score
This is really helpful information. Thank you for sharing. I do have some questions if you have time to address.

Some dealers are doing quite a bit off MSRP. I haven't closed yet but in my case Koons is doing 6% off invoice and price protection with a deposit (and if I don't get that when I close I'll be sure to let everyone on here know but it looks like I should get it like everyone else has). When I calculate percent off MSRP that puts me at around MSRPx0.87(roughly). So if dealer invoice is 10-11% I am really only getting a couple percent under invoice in reality? Plus they get the hold back from Stellantis? So in reality they really make around $3000-4000 on this right?
If I'm reading your question correctly I believe you are mixing apples and oranges. You mention Koons doing 6% off invoice, but go on to mention "When I calculate percent off MSRP". These are two completely different figures. In all my research and all my years of purchasing vehicles I've never had a dealer offer to sell me a vehicle at 6% below Dealer Invoice. If you are getting 6% below dealer invoice I wouldn't hesitate ordering from that dealer. The rest of your questions are just as confusing to me, but maybe someone else can understand and answer correctly. If you can maybe ask a specific question I think I can answer it.

Big Baloo

Reaction score
I have a special spot in the attic of the shop with all of the goodies I have been collecting. Still plenty of room up there and a few months to go until Nikki gets here. She is a short wide hipped sort. Here are some of the things I have collected that I can remember.
1. 52 Gal Titan Tank
2. 12" screen protector
3. S&B Cold air intake
4. Bedrug mat
5. BAK Revolver bed cover
6. DEF and diesel caps
7. Steering wheel cover
8. RAM door striker covers
9. Steering wheel cover
10. Ram center console cover w/ pockets

I am looking for some good seat covers for the front buckets, anyone have any suggestions? I have seen some that seem okay on Amazon with molle bags on the back. I am eyeballing them but have not gotten committed yet.

I have used a product made by a company called: WET OKOLE', The covers are made from material similar to scuba wear, and they are made custom. Not that bad on price either (www.wetokole.com)

Big Baloo

Reaction score
Ram has been doing the no cap deal on diesels since at least 2015. My Ecodiesel is the first time I experienced it.
Here's some pictures of what the 2500/3500 diesels come with.
I had my dealer take these today.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.JPG
    imagejpeg_0.JPG
    253.7 KB · Views: 41
  • imagejpeg_1.JPG
    imagejpeg_1.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 42
  • imagejpeg_2.JPG
    imagejpeg_2.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 40

Scubaz66

Reaction score
Here's some pictures of what the 2500/3500 diesels come with.
I had my dealer take these today.
Can't tell from the pictures, but looks like the opening is spring loaded. Given the newest government regulations require a sealed system I would assume there is a rubber gasket to keep the system sealed. What happens when the rubber gasket fails and the system is no longer sealed? Yes! I know that stupid Check Engine Light will come on until the problem is fixed. But how will the problem be resolved? When the rubber on a cap fails you just purchase another $10 cap. Will this mean having to replace with a new gas tank? Curious minds want to know.......

neutroniens

Reaction score
Got my truck yesterday.
Flew in to TUL on the redeye and was on the road home before noon.
Dealer had the tanks topped off and I made good time westbound on i40, got 800 miles on the first tank before checking in for some sleep.
Very impressed with the 8.4 Nav screen and wireless Android Auto so far. Auto high beam and auto wipers also very convenient.
Can't wait to get home and take some time to customize all the techno features to my liking.
Can't tell from the pictures, but looks like the opening is spring loaded. Given the newest government regulations require a sealed system I would assume there is a rubber gasket to keep the system sealed. What happens when the rubber gasket fails and the system is no longer sealed? Yes! I know that stupid Check Engine Light will come on until the problem is fixed. But how will the problem be resolved? When the rubber on a cap fails you just purchase another $10 cap. Will this mean having to replace with a new gas tank? Curious minds want to know.......
It has a spring loaded flap that prevents debris from getting into the tank diesel tanks aren’t sealed system like a gas engine they have a vent so you won’t have to worry about a check engine light.

Scubaz66

Reaction score
It has a spring loaded flap that prevents debris from getting into the tank diesel tanks aren’t sealed system like a gas engine they have a vent so you won’t have to worry about a check engine light.
LOL Shows you how much I know about diesel trucks......

Reaction score
I am in the same boat. It hit the rail yard in town on Monday, but still waiting on transport and dealer has no visibility into it. Truck is 20 min from me after 7 months and I still can’t get it. Hopefully next week.
Mine was offloaded last Sunday from railcar and still awaiting transport for final 20 miles to dealership. Ordered Jan 5....getting impatient!

SidneyMafia

Reaction score
Line 1161 has arrived.

Ordered Feb 3rd Tradesman 3500 Gas SRW B package. Load leveler no spray in bed lining.
So many people to thank. Officer Dirty Sanchez, thank you for all you do.
BRV10 you seriously talked me off the ledge more than once over this 6 month and I appreciated your quick response on returning with answers. Thank you so much, You are a good human!
Leadchucker, you made me laugh daily with your jokes and easy going style, hope you’re in the new ride soon.
Arrived at dealership today and slide in camper install next week. 25 Weeks from order to delivery. 31 days on a train from Mexico to Denver 30 Days in Denver waiting for the transport to dealer in Sidney, Ne
Good luck and be well everyone.

matemike

Reaction score
The day has arrived. My truck was dropped off at my house this morning. Just as planned. The last couple days were incredibly easy and swift with MD getting me financed and truck ceramic coated and then delivered. When first asked yesterday evening about delivery, I said, tomorrows good, and it worked out.
Aaron, Melinda, Robert and Tom all made it happen very well. I’ll write a much longer post about my total experience a little later. 223 days. I won’t forget that number, haha. 7 months 11 days. Seven eleven, won’t forget that one either.

But for now, pics of the stud in the stable. 2CB656C2-AB0D-46F6-A0BA-AED8D71FDF76.jpeg6510739F-CBA6-4865-9F62-FAEB4E6FAD15.jpeg

Unfortunately my rear bumper sticks out past the garage door by about 1.5”.
If I get my front wheels up on the ramp, it clears by 8” and inside. I might build something that meets it right in the middle so I clear the garage door by an acceptable 3 to 4 inches and have more room to walk around the front.

Last edited:

Leadchuncker

Reaction score
When I was talking to the dealers in my area about ordering I’d take a copy of the build sheets with me. As soon as I told them what I wanted and handed them the build sheet the first words outta their mouth was add 20% to that and you’ll be close. 20% to the MSRP and that was at 4 local dealers ! So that’s why I bought from MD.

Arel11

Reaction score
If I'm reading your question correctly I believe you are mixing apples and oranges. You mention Koons doing 6% off invoice, but go on to mention "When I calculate percent off MSRP". These are two completely different figures. In all my research and all my years of purchasing vehicles I've never had a dealer offer to sell me a vehicle at 6% below Dealer Invoice. If you are getting 6% below dealer invoice I wouldn't hesitate ordering from that dealer. The rest of your questions are just as confusing to me, but maybe someone else can understand and answer correctly. If you can maybe ask a specific question I think I can answer it.
I can't speak to the MSRP differences, but I also ordered from Koons in March for 6% under invoice.

Users who are viewing this thread