Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram HD Builds and orders - Post and discuss your TRUCK order here! ** NEW USERS READ POST #1 **

leeparnell89

Reaction score
A friend of mine is currently in the process of spec’ing a truck for a potential sold-order. He’s visited three dealers in our area so far and received vastly different numbers on final price. The one thing that seems to be consistent is that every dealer has told him that:

“chrome bumpers aren’t available for a 3500 DRW truck”

Is there truth to this? Another casualty of parts availability? Or someone doesn’t know what they’re talking about?

I’m having a seriously hard time buying what they’re trying to sell….someone in the know enlighten me please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 22 3500 DRW tradesman has chrome bumpers, it sounds like someone doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

sconym

Reaction score
My dealer told me they have no control over when a truck leaves the depot. The truck drivers wait till there is a full load for a general area. Probably why MD gets trucks quickly after the train drops them.
Luckily, that is the one place that my dealer does have pull! Fingers crossed

leeparnell89

Reaction score
A friend of mine is currently in the process of spec’ing a truck for a potential sold-order. He’s visited three dealers in our area so far and received vastly different numbers on final price. The one thing that seems to be consistent is that every dealer has told him that:

Is there truth to this? Another casualty of parts availability? Or someone doesn’t know what they’re talking about?

I’m having a seriously hard time buying what they’re trying to sell….someone in the know enlighten me please!

My window sticker for reference. Ignore my leafy yard, winter turned on here in Texas.
7d36993995e8b55cf639121ecc43f3e4.png

3bfc689050b797ee7cb64883a8b14c95.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dkwagner

Reaction score
Well, I’ve hit the end of my Customer Service rope. I called today and asked to speak to a brand mentor or manager. The rep on the phone with me just straight up ignored my request and went on with her “I’ll put in an inquiry” standard response.

It’s time for me to give up on them, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results! LOL!
When did you order?

Bigsnowman

Dumb Log Guy
Reaction score
Got an email from Sandi yesterday afternoon confirming my D1 status and an estimated build date of 2/2 for my 10/25 order.
@tyler2you .... I got an email from her today stating I had a build date of 2/3 (D1 on 12.10) for my 10.29 order. Sandi said to contact her again mid-February.
It appears we have similar trucks and I bet they travel on the same train. They must be planning to build a pile of HOs by the looks of @OfficerDirtySanchez 's spread sheet.
And....for mulitple reasons I'm thankful for this forum. I appreciate those "in the know" sharing and giving of their time and I appreciate everyone sharing their info so that we can share experiences. It all adds up and makes waiting for the new "Whitey" much more bearable!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
ACEd, just asking, how sure are you about the receptacle in the rear bumper being a Fakra connector? My Fakra cable (not purchased from RAM), doesn't seem to fit in it (it doesn't snap in like other Fakra connectors). And when I try to plug it in, with the camera attached, it doesn't work. However, I can unplug the receptacle in the bumper (it's attached behind the bumper with a Fakra connector). When I do that, then plug in my camera/Fakra connector.....the camera works perfectly. Further, I've seen pictures of the connector from the tow mode cable (sold by Ram), and it doesn't look like a Fakra connector. It makes me wonder if they changed the receptacle in the bumper to something more beefy than a Fakra connector - and in the process made it incompatible with a Fakra connector.

Answers are in a dedicated (sticky) thread in the towing forum.

Msnyder

Reaction score
How long did you guys wait for your order? Mine was ordered on 9/10/2021, so 17 weeks and 5 days. Dealer says it’s still in “d” status, no updates and no ship/delivery date. Does this sound right?

Coonhound

Reaction score

Apparently they've never heard of a chrome appearance package. I've got a Tradesman dually with chrome bumpers front and rear.

gator6

Reaction score
How long did you guys wait for your order? Mine was ordered on 9/10/2021, so 17 weeks and 5 days. Dealer says it’s still in “d” status, no updates and no ship/delivery date. Does this sound right?

I ordered 11/12 and still in D

MrTaz

Reaction score
Glad to see somebody else beside me likes chrome - maybe it's just an old guy thing but I really like chrome. I will admit those NE trucks do look nice though!
I'll take chrome any day over paint especially on the front end. Repaired paint chips on the front just never look good.

Marketing is amazing. I remember a time when the so-called night edition as it is now called was standard equipment and if you wanted anything shiny (aka chrome) you paid extra for it. Over the years chrome became an ecological nightmare because of the EPA which drove companies out of business and raised the cost of doing anything chrome to the companies that done chrome plating and also to the consumers that wanted it done. All of this brought the introduction of chrome paint which compared to real chrome is a joke at best. Anyways this is where marketing comes in. De-chrome everything, give it a name and now charge extra for it. It's kind of like chicken wings. In the old days chicken wings and chicken necks too for that matter were the less desirable parts of the chicken that large families on a tight budget were the ones that primarily bought it. Even going back to slavery days, the slaves were the people that ended up with those parts of the chicken because it was the less desirable part of the chicken. Moving along to the twenty-first century when people were doing much better financially and bought less chicken wings someone had to come up with an idea to move a slow moving product. Now they are called a variety of names after they slapped some concoction of BBQ sauce on them and raised the price. Still not much meat there and never has been but people like the sauce.

Getting back to the marketing part. Do you see the resemblance to chicken wings and Night Edition vehicles? It cost less to paint everything on a truck compared (except maybe the alumium wheels) to chrome and all they had to do was give it a name for people to buy it. I remember back in the eighties and nineties when Toyota and Nissan were competing for market share. Toyota had the shiny chrome on a lot of their trucks and Nissan had hardly any. Back then we all know which one was the most popular especially when it come to customized trucks. Nissan had night edition trucks before they even had a name for it although at that time they weren't as popular except maybe the price. After all, it was a no frills de-chromed vehicle for someone that wanted basic transportation at a less expensive price.
The only part of the Night Edition trucks that I can see adding a real expense to the truck are those painted aluminum wheels although I still have reservations on long term durability, they still look nice. Other than that everything is painted just like the old days, except now they charge for it.

I'm also old fashioned, I'm a chrome person too, although today's chrome quality is a joke compared to yester-year. It is what it is. Oh well I guess we have to take what we can get.

Last edited:

Texasram1

Reaction score
@tyler2you .... I got an email from her today stating I had a build date of 2/3 (D1 on 12.10) for my 10.29 order. Sandi said to contact her again mid-February.
It appears we have similar trucks and I bet they travel on the same train. They must be planning to build a pile of HOs by the looks of @OfficerDirtySanchez 's spread sheet.
And....for mulitple reasons I'm thankful for this forum. I appreciate those "in the know" sharing and giving of their time and I appreciate everyone sharing their info so that we can share experiences. It all adds up and makes waiting for the new "Whitey" much more bearable!
Could be three of us on the same train car. 2/2 for me too, but no HO for me.

Users who are viewing this thread