Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram 3500 - Towing Disappointment Justified?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If you look at my sig, for what I tow I'm probably the slowpoke. No need to run over 70-75MPH in wide open spaces. MPG is better around 72.
When im towing heavy i rarely get over 65 unless passing, most of our speed limits are 50-55 so we can get away with 60-65 without getting a ticket lol

jebruns

Reaction score
I have to agree with others about this guys shifting issue. Not worried about the power. I would be more concerned about the shifting. 68RFE, does not have the best reputation. They’ve improved it, but won’t perform like the Aisin. Obviously a new truck. A dealer check would be the smartest thing. window. Not a kid anymore, so I don’t drive like a loon anyway (or anymore), I save that for Moto, but I do work my truck(s) always have, that’s why I drive a Cummins.
Not sure why this seems to be getting lost in this discussion. None of these trucks would pull grades well if the tranny stayed in the top gear. There is something wrong with the subject truck that is preventing it from downshifting. Take to your dealer.

RKlass

Reaction score
The truck won't downshift if the next lower gear would put the RPM above redline. He says the boost is 26psi and I have no idea what the max boost on an SO motor is. I have an HO and see 36 when I'm climbing a pass with my trailer. Guess it would help if we knew what RPM he was at. I can see how someone coming from a Powerstroke or Duramax could think their Cummins needed to downshift more on a grade. The redline on those others is way above the Cummins. I have owned several Cummins trucks over the years and tried out a 2018 Powerstroke for a couple of years. Surprised me how much higher the engine speed was before it shifted.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
The truck won't downshift if the next lower gear would put the RPM above redline. He says the boost is 26psi and I have no idea what the max boost on an SO motor is. I have an HO and see 36 when I'm climbing a pass with my trailer. Guess it would help if we knew what RPM he was at. I can see how someone coming from a Powerstroke or Duramax could think their Cummins needed to downshift more on a grade. The redline on those others is way above the Cummins. I have owned several Cummins trucks over the years and tried out a 2018 Powerstroke for a couple of years. Surprised me how much higher the engine speed was before it shifted.
Thats the problem with the V8 diesels, higher RPM to get the advertised HP.

MotoFish

Reaction score
When im towing heavy i rarely get over 65 unless passing, most of our speed limits are 50-55 so we can get away with 60-65 without getting a ticket lol
Our interstates are 80…. Climbing one of the grades, I decided to take the cruise off and rolled into the throttle a little. When close to cresting the top, I finally looked down, 87! Yikes….. with 17k 5er, that was a little too much, and I really thought I was just cruising. Didn’t even notice I was actually picking up speed. It amazes me how smooth, quiet and powerful these trucks really are.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
If you look at my sig, for what I tow I'm probably the slowpoke. No need to run over 70-75MPH in wide open spaces. MPG is better around 72.

That's about my sweet spot also. 72 or so.

Unless we are in Utah, AZ, or some place with 80mph speed limits and no "trucks with trailers" restrictions to 55. Semi's doing 90 on those highways!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Our interstates are 80…. Climbing one of the grades, I decided to take the cruise off and rolled into the throttle a little. When close to cresting the top, I finally looked down, 87! Yikes….. with 17k 5er, that was a little too much, and I really thought I was just cruising. Didn’t even notice I was actually picking up speed. It amazes me how smooth, quiet and powerful these trucks really are.
What % grade was that and how long?

MotoFish

Reaction score
What % grade was that and how long?
Sorry Brutal, I don’t remember. Somewhere on I-80 between Reno NV and Winnemucca NV. It was a few miles, but as on the interstate, it’s not too steep. I honestly wasn’t trying to go that fast, it just happened.

However, I live in Idaho. White bird grade on hwy 95 is before Grangeville, ID. It’s about 2-3 miles long, about 7% climb. Been over it several times and a couple times with the trailer. Trailer wasn’t fully loaded, but still probably 15-16k, had no issue cruising up about 60 mph, but that’s a 55 zone, so I have never pushed it due to the posted speed.

jebruns

Reaction score
The truck won't downshift if the next lower gear would put the RPM above redline. He says the boost is 26psi and I have no idea what the max boost on an SO motor is. I have an HO and see 36 when I'm climbing a pass with my trailer. Guess it would help if we knew what RPM he was at.
True, but I doubt the OP is over the RPM limit in 6th gear in mountainous terrain pulling a large 5th wheel. The speed limit on the interstate I haul a lot on here in the Ozark Mts is 75mph, and my 2500 SO will downshift to 5th on the biggest hills at those speeds. No manually shifting, it just does it's thing. Just got back from CO too. Truck downshifted as needed to keep the speed up most of the major climbs and passes. If it had been stuck in 6th, that trip would have sucked.

RKlass

Reaction score
True, but I doubt the OP is over the RPM limit in 6th gear in mountainous terrain pulling a large 5th wheel. The speed limit on the interstate I haul a lot on here in the Ozark Mts is 75mph, and my 2500 SO will downshift to 5th on the biggest hills at those speeds. No manually shifting, it just does it's thing. Just got back from CO too. Truck downshifted as needed to keep the speed up most of the major climbs and passes. If it had been stuck in 6th, that trip would have sucked.
Where does he say he's in 6th? All it says is the truck won't downshift. Nowhere does it say what gear it was in at the bottom of the hill and how fast the truck was going so who knows?

jebruns

Reaction score
Where does he say he's in 6th? All it says is the truck won't downshift. Nowhere does it say what gear it was in at the bottom of the hill and how fast the truck was going so who knows?
Good point. Re-reading it, it is hard to say if he means it won't downshift from top gear or if he means it won't downshift as much as he'd like. Last the OP posted was 8/3, so we never find out.

MotoFish

Reaction score
Good point. Re-reading it, it is hard to say if he means it won't downshift from top gear or if he means it won't downshift as much as he'd like. Last the OP posted was 8/3, so we never find out.

Yeah, it would be nice to know what he ever found out…. He should have went to the dealer, in my opinion, I have never had an issue with down shifting. If I “floor it” as he put it, truck down shifts and goes hard at it.

Nick

Reaction score
I had a 14 SO and to me the problem was the 68rfe downshifting soon enough when into a grade . I found dropping it manually really helped keeping the power curve up . Once the parts get polished in pulling and power improve .

MotoFish

Reaction score
I had a 14 SO and to me the problem was the 68rfe downshifting soon enough when into a grade . I found dropping it manually really helped keeping the power curve up . Once the parts get polished in pulling and power improve .

Mine is a 2021 HO with Aisin, so it’s not apples to apples….

However, for apples to apples: My father-in-law HAS a 2020 SO with the 68RFE, from what he tells me, he has zero issues. When towing his 28’ loaded toy hauler in “tow haul mode” when he “floors it” it down shifts and goes.

I think the guy needs to go to the dealer. But that’s just my 2 cents.

And it would be nice to know if he ever figured anything out?

RVTRKN

Reaction score

Thats why I wanted the HO, it was only for the Aisin auto. It could have been opposite with the 68rfe having the HO and Aisin being the SO, I would buy the SO AIsin.

MotoFish

Reaction score
Thats why I wanted the HO, it was only for the Aisin auto. It could have been opposite with the 68rfe having the HO and Aisin being the SO, I would buy the SO AIsin.

Ram should view these threads. They should not even offer the 68RFE.

Should be SO with Aisin or HO with Aisin. Maybe have the 68RFE for a gasser, but even now they have an 8 speed tranny for that, so the 68 should be phased out.

I guess it’s a cost thing?

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Same thing, I went for Aisin didn't care much for HO.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Ram should view these threads. They should not even offer the 68RFE.

Should be SO with Aisin or HO with Aisin. Maybe have the 68RFE for a gasser, but even now they have an 8 speed tranny for that, so the 68 should be phased out.

I guess it’s a cost thing?
I don't think they shouldn't offer a 68rfe but would be nice if they could mix and match. I wanted Aisin but there are plenty of folks who don't tow heavy and like the ability to tune the 68rfe, it's probably a good tranny for DD.

Users who are viewing this thread