Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram 3500 DRW Build/Lift

Dunn08

Reaction score
I’ve had quite a few questions about the lift, combination of suspension components, and wheels and tires since I set my truck up. Figured I’d post a short thread on the parts used and my experience.

I never thought I’d sell my 2012, she treated me perfect for 9 years. Deleted it right away, and it never saw a shop or dealer since the day I took it off the lot. By 2017 we had upgraded to a 42.5ft toy hauler and it was then I started thinking of a dually. Power wise I was fine, but I longed for more stability. I couldn’t bring myself to trade it in though. Fast forward to 2021 and desperate dealers offering ridiculous $$$ for trade ins, I got an offer I couldn’t refuse. It was time to order my dream truck, exactly how I wanted it.

The day before thanksgiving I said goodbye my 12 and took delivery of the new 22.

ce290bc9c63df8cf82346489febf0997.jpg

76ee9a6fb151385a3767e2825b66eb7e.jpg

I was really excited for upgrades such as the long bed, 50g tank, auto leveling air, and so on..

I had one demand from the wife when she gave me the ok for the dually…I had to lift it with new wheels/tires right away. She hates the look of DRW’s stock.
What a horrible demand, right? Of course I agreed.

6 months of waiting for my truck to arrive gave me plenty of time to research and buy everything I needed. Here’s what I ended up going with…

Lift:
Carli 3 to 3 & 1/4” front coil springs.

Carli radius arm, bump stop, and sway bar drop brackets.

Carli Back Country Fox remote reservoir shocks

Ready Lift rear 2” leaf spring blocks PN: 66-1202. Comes with new U bolts.

Ready Lift 2” factory air bags spacers PN: 66-1302

Revel Performance adjustable arms for air bag sensors

Steering:
Thuren adjustable track bar

Thuren fox steering stabilizer

Wheels/Tires:

TIS Off-road 544BM’s.

Front: Normal fronts, 20x9r20 +18 offset wrapped in 35x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

Rears: 20x8.5r20. Inner wheel is +115 offset and outers are -198. Same tires except I went 11.5 wide in the back.

Within a couple hours of getting her home from the dealer…
1ae41593278d234cdfd2c0d42d19945e.jpg

Spent the next day (Thanksgiving) with the fam so she sat like this until Friday, then I got back to work.

First step was to install the Radius Arm drops. Really, these were the only part of the lift that was a pain in the ass. And it was only the passenger side.

9fee7b36fb0bfe84e770608aa2d5a188.jpg

154a5ccde5a08d4a5740c0e7dcbea268.jpg

fa2ae96df6b2955f8a4e61097b5e08c9.jpg

The air tank has to be removed to drill the 3/4” hole for the upper/aft mount bolt. It’s just 3 mount bolts and the air line, drops right out. The 3/4” hole on the outboard side and 1/2” hole on the inboard side of the frame were fun to drill. A center punch with a 1/2” diameter body is a necessity here. After drilling a pilot, a step bit all the way to 3/4” worked great. You then slide in a provided 3/4” OD, 1/2” ID bushing and put your punch through to center punch the other side. There’s no room even with a 90 degree drill to drill the 1/2” hole from the inboard side, you have to drill it from the outboard side all the way through.

The driver side is much easier.

Time to lower the front axle for new springs, bump stop drop brackets, and shocks. Unbolting the front driveshaft is required. Hold it up with a cargo strap or bungee.

6670cc433b0e39b4e1aab769d03ad413.jpg

efd510eee3118ba794f4b30f84435e4d.jpg

Everything is pretty straight forward and simple from here on out. Didn’t really get pics. Bump stop drops require more drilling, can’t remember the bit size but it tells you in the instructions. This pic shows the dually adapter removed.

Got everything buttoned up on the front and got it back on the ground with the new wheels/tires.

ab41f0590f2e6427adfb6b86158d92ad.jpg

Stabilizer and track bar installed once on the ground, as well as torquing the radius arm bolts.

I didn’t get any pics doing the rear end, there really isn’t much to it. Lower the axle and install the blocks under the leafs, and air bag spacers under the bags.
Bolt the new shocks up…I’ll get some pics of everything installed and post em up. Keep a jack under the rear drive shaft to prevent the axle from rolling forward. It would have been nice to have an extra set of hands for the rear end.

End result:

27707508e262906e821796b22b7eccbf.jpg

95f95be8a6abae23d5c0378b87f4d78c.jpg

1f727f90693ddd5d4c267e4d07616745.jpg

ac9e60b3ada79986117b8a57ccb2fb27.jpg

bd2464c7854b244a1543f7c247af97b0.jpg

8ce367cd014c338a246d55cb50670e09.jpg

6a954e36e734222aa0a0abaeb1498fe2.jpg

I’m extremely happy how it turned out. The revel links gives me the flexibility to keep the air bags deflated with no load for the best ride possible.
I wanted it to end up as level as possible and it’s pretty damn close.

Remember if you plan to run normal wheels in the front of a DRW, once you take the adapter off the bolt pattern changes to 8x165.1.

I went this route simply because I didn’t want to spend 7-10k for Carli’s factory air lift. The components I used are the same as Carli’s lift kit for the non air ride leaf spring trucks. They say it’s not compatible with air ride but clearly it is. I spoke to CJC off-road and they confirmed what I was thinking, basically these shocks aren’t specifically tuned for the air ride trucks. However, they will work perfectly fine. I’m not off roading in my dually. The toys I’m towing are for that. I just wanted a more plush ride on the road and over dirt/gravel/washboard roads to get where I’m camping.

I dropped her off over a week ago to get PPF on the front end, hood, and rockers. Along with ceramic coat. I’m pretty annoyed it isn’t ready yet, as I was looking forward to hooking it up to my toy hauler and experimenting with the air bags this weekend. As soon as I can do that, I’ll post up some pics and findings.

camaroz2866

Reaction score
Nice truck! The revel performance links I’m assuming you ordered the half kit for the rear and lifting option? Had a chance to mess with the length yet? They are longer than ours on the 3500 right?

Dunn08

Reaction score
Thank you guys.

As for the links, they are not the half kit. Mine go slightly shorter than stock when adjusted all the way in, and obviously way longer when adjusted out. With Christmas and bad weather I haven’t had a chance to play with anything yet. I did hook up to the toy hauler and she leveled out nicely once connected. However, and I knew I needed to do this, I need to raise the 5th wheel hitch. It came installed from the factory at the lowest position. Only had about 4” between bed rail and 5th wheel.

The PPF, and ceramic came out great. And 5% tint all the way around really finished off the look of the truck.

buzzuti

Reaction score
Brilliant!
Looks amazing!

I have the near identical truck currently on order... patiently awaiting. all over the Carli suspension videos and research right now. Probably will not go as beefy as you, probably just level + 1-2.
Gives me a wonderful look into my future there Sir!

Thanks for sharing your stoke!

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Bad ass truck!! You should add some links to the parts you installed. Would be helpful.

Love it!!

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
Love the build and smart cost effectiveness in the rear. Question for you is if you have the confidence and ability to install all the suspension components yourself, why not do the ceramic coating yourself as well? I assume it was probably to be more time efficient, since it was already going to be there getting ppf'd anyways and ppf is not something any old joe can do satisfactory. Or possibly you wanted a professional grade coating versus the ones we can buy? Which one did you go with?

I have the Backcountry kit as well and I have never been so happy with a modification that has almost 0 cons but all pros. Like you, I wanted a nice ride to and from camp/hunting spots and boy did I ever get what I paid for and more.
Also, I love your old 2012.. after owning and enjoying a deleted truck, are you going to un-cork this girl as well? I deleted at 3,000km's and have not looked back. It is amazing what these trucks are capable of, even on a stock +0hp tune. The pre & post injection crap plus all the other limiters sure take a toll on performance and longevity. But yes, they are much more refined and can be reliable far past what previous emissions riddled trucks would do. Honestly though, with a 4'' turbo back exhaust with a muffler, it is hardly louder than stock at all.. only there when you want it (if that is a concern in your area or in the cab). I understand if you do not want to discuss it on the forum but thought I would ask as since you have already been on the dark side.. I know I would have a hard time going back to the light :p

Dunn08

Reaction score
Brilliant!
Looks amazing!

I have the near identical truck currently on order... patiently awaiting. all over the Carli suspension videos and research right now. Probably will not go as beefy as you, probably just level + 1-2.
Gives me a wonderful look into my future there Sir!

Thanks for sharing your stoke!

Thank you! Be sure to post up pics, it’ll look amazing.

Dunn08

Reaction score
Love the build and smart cost effectiveness in the rear. Question for you is if you have the confidence and ability to install all the suspension components yourself, why not do the ceramic coating yourself as well? I assume it was probably to be more time efficient, since it was already going to be there getting ppf'd anyways and ppf is not something any old joe can do satisfactory. Or possibly you wanted a professional grade coating versus the ones we can buy? Which one did you go with?

I have the Backcountry kit as well and I have never been so happy with a modification that has almost 0 cons but all pros. Like you, I wanted a nice ride to and from camp/hunting spots and boy did I ever get what I paid for and more.
Also, I love your old 2012.. after owning and enjoying a deleted truck, are you going to un-cork this girl as well? I deleted at 3,000km's and have not looked back. It is amazing what these trucks are capable of, even on a stock +0hp tune. The pre & post injection crap plus all the other limiters sure take a toll on performance and longevity. But yes, they are much more refined and can be reliable far past what previous emissions riddled trucks would do. Honestly though, with a 4'' turbo back exhaust with a muffler, it is hardly louder than stock at all.. only there when you want it (if that is a concern in your area or in the cab). I understand if you do not want to discuss it on the forum but thought I would ask as since you have already been on the dark side.. I know I would have a hard time going back to the light :p

Thank you. Well you guessed it, it came down to convenience and $$$ vs my time. When I took it in for PPF I actually declined the ceramic coating. I was just going to polish and seal every 6 months or so. My wife talked me into it later in the day. She knows how OCD I am, and how many weekends I’d spend detailing this thing instead of spending that time with my kids. I also don’t have a garage big enough for this so unfortunately it sits in my side yard when not driving it. It would have been difficult to coat it properly over a weekend in the weather. For the additional cost vs my time, my precious time won and I bit the bullet on the ceramic. No regrets, just washed it yesterday for the first time and it was a breeze. I went with ceramic pro.

They actually ended up having the truck for 2 weeks, but made it right by hooking it up with the IR tint in 5% all the way around for almost free.

Man, my 2012..I already miss her. Don’t get me wrong, I love the new dually, but they’re 2 totally different animals. I would delete this one in a heartbeat if I could, but unfortunately I can’t delete this one. Maybe one day I’ll get out of Vegas and into Idaho and I’ll shed some weight. Won’t go into how I was able to run the 12’ clean here. On that note, I did the sniff tests on the rollers straight piped with clean tunes, and with everything intact. (For testing purposes only, of course) I have printouts showing I put out more particulate’s intact than straight piped.

I am having a hard time adjusting to a non deleted/tuned truck. But I knew that going into it, something I have to accept. I just bought a pedal monster from banks to hopefully make it feel a little better. Oh, buying DEF stinks too.

Dunn08

Reaction score
Got her cleaned up yesterday, washing it was fantastic after the ceramic coating was applied.

The tint definitely finished the look I was going for.

Also added the Gen Y 9” drop hitch, bolted with grade 8 hardware to a torque that will require a cheater bar to remove.

64106317d810676f9bbda5ecf8cf2cb1.jpg

16ef878387dabecdb9ff94eb5bdefc32.jpg

10ed3f0e0cd2a4e25f06e329cd6f3233.jpg

b3f36404cfd19294cda1902ae6086f59.jpg

046abd9ea086fde890763d63b70e716f.jpg

Here’s a shot of the gap between the duals, for anyone wondering. No spacers used.

e1cb47676f9eac6f2bf94443da0a692a.jpg

Firebird

Reaction score
That is a job well done!! How do you like the Fox shocks?

AJ608

Reaction score
That's a beautiful truck ... How do the tires not pick up rocks and beat the hell out of the truck ?
My work truck the tires don't really even stick out and it picks up rocks all the time.

Dunn08

Reaction score
That's a beautiful truck ... How do the tires not pick up rocks and beat the hell out of the truck ?
My work truck the tires don't really even stick out and it picks up rocks all the time.

Thank you. Oh I’m sure it’ll happen plenty. The fronts don’t stick out much so they shouldn’t be to bad. The rockers have PPF film all the way down. I know that won’t prevent chips, but should help a bit.

Even though she’s pretty now, I’m perfectly fine with it developing dings and dents along the way. After all, it’s a truck. It’ll see dirt, sand, mud, gravel etc.

I’m tempted to just go put one in it right now just to get it over with Tell you one thing though, I won’t be going 60 down the dirt/gravel entrance road to the sand dunes anymore.

relbus

Reaction score
Similar situation here. I definitely miss my deleted 13.
I wish I could tell you after a year it gets easier, but every time I hear a straight piped Cummins my head swivels. Just not willing to roll the dice and ditch the warranty…got burned too bad on the last few Cummins.

Dunn08

Reaction score
I know ya'll don't know me at all, but going to just lay this question out there...

Is it wrong that I have a picture of another man's truck on my wall?

asking for a friend.

Hahaha, I’ve been there friend!

Users who are viewing this thread