Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram 3500: Def and and very cold temps

BubbaWilkins

Reaction score
This is not necessarily a new issue, but I hadn't seen anything about it until it happened to us and starting looking.

Def freezes at 12deg's (ish). There's a heater in there, so it will eventually be thawed while running. BUT, If your Def tank freezers, it might cause the def tank gauge to start acting squirrelly.

What happened to us: 3000 mile trip to/from Montana to hunt elk. Temps during the week where we were at were in low single digits, with a brief period of below zero temps. At the time, def tank was registering 3/8's of a tank. Temps didn't climb above 20deg's until several days later when we were on the return leg home. Def gauge was reading a quarter tank after some time on the road so we stopped to fill both it and the diesel tanks. Def gauge did not register the additional fluid added (7.5 gallons, Chassis Cab). Gauge continued to fall and issued the 200 mile until limp mode warning. Given we were already several hundred miles into the day, we called ahead to a couple of dealers in Nebraska and one of them was able to get us in. Tech did a couple of updates to the computer and temporarily plugged in a spare def gauge/pump assembly. None of that appeared to register any change, but then he plugged the original back in and took it around the block and the gauge reverted to normal operation. Overall, we lost an hour or so with the truck in the tech's hands, but still made good time on the road and weren't really delayed much.

I've read some stories of far worse, but turned out to be a simple fix for us. I will be looking into an external jacket heater for the def tank to avoid this problem in the future.

Firebird

Reaction score
Sounds like you stumbled across a pretty decent dealer!

BubbaWilkins

Reaction score
Sounds like you stumbled across a pretty decent dealer!
From our experience, absolutely. They deserve a shout out. Anderson CDJR, Grand Island, Nebraska. It was 4:30 Friday afternoon when we called and one of the techs said they would stick around long enough to run the updates and such which typically resolve the issue for them.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
This is not necessarily a new issue, but I hadn't seen anything about it until it happened to us and starting looking.

Def freezes at 12deg's (ish). There's a heater in there, so it will eventually be thawed while running. BUT, If your Def tank freezers, it might cause the def tank gauge to start acting squirrelly.

What happened to us: 3000 mile trip to/from Montana to hunt elk. Temps during the week where we were at were in low single digits, with a brief period of below zero temps. At the time, def tank was registering 3/8's of a tank. Temps didn't climb above 20deg's until several days later when we were on the return leg home. Def gauge was reading a quarter tank after some time on the road so we stopped to fill both it and the diesel tanks. Def gauge did not register the additional fluid added (7.5 gallons, Chassis Cab). Gauge continued to fall and issued the 200 mile until limp mode warning. Given we were already several hundred miles into the day, we called ahead to a couple of dealers in Nebraska and one of them was able to get us in. Tech did a couple of updates to the computer and temporarily plugged in a spare def gauge/pump assembly. None of that appeared to register any change, but then he plugged the original back in and took it around the block and the gauge reverted to normal operation. Overall, we lost an hour or so with the truck in the tech's hands, but still made good time on the road and weren't really delayed much.

I've read some stories of far worse, but turned out to be a simple fix for us. I will be looking into an external jacket heater for the def tank to avoid this problem in the future.
I had plenty of DEF issues with my 2019 it was a never ending saga of freezing and issues so i had to remove the issue

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
I don’t think the engineers that come up with these ‘’great ideas’’ like to get their buttocks cold in the R&D stages. This $#!T don’t work.:mad:

Wholeo

Reaction score
From our experience, absolutely. They deserve a shout out. Anderson CDJR, Grand Island, Nebraska. It was 4:30 Friday afternoon when we called and one of the techs said they would stick around long enough to run the updates and such which typically resolve the issue for them.
Glad you had a good experience with this dealer. Their shop diagnosed and fixed a problem in the TCM on the 1500 I used to drive when 2 other CDJR shops couldn't.

Users who are viewing this thread