Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi with the 8 speed transmission slipping and cold start sound.

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi with the 8 speed with 3.73 gears.

When going up a steep grade while towing a 8000lbs travel trailer 4500 rpms (assuming at 3rd gear) the transmission feels like its slipping and starts making a slight dull sound. Has anyone experienced this before this is now the second time it has done it.

Also with that issue upon cold starts I am getting this same sound as seen in this video.

I am taking it into the dealer tomorrow for a warranty issue hopefully the can diagnose the problem.

JimKIII

Reaction score
That's a hellava Hemi tick! Definitely sounds like back in the days when the old lifters/tappets used to rat-a-tat-a-tat.

WildBill138

Reaction score
That sounds like mine. Im guessing that ticking slows down at lower rpm. Mine is due to a failed lifter wearing out the cam. Wearing down a cam lobe will result in loss of power under load. Have them pull the oil control valve. If there is metal in there, service bulletins say to replace the engine.
Im curious to see what dealership says tho.

Reaction score
That sounds like mine. Im guessing that ticking slows down at lower rpm. Mine is due to a failed lifter wearing out the cam. Wearing down a cam lobe will result in loss of power under load. Have them pull the oil control valve. If there is metal in there, service bulletins say to replace the engine.
Good looking out I will be sure to relay that information. They are keeping the truck over night to replicate the cold start in the morning. A new motor would be awesome I do have the lifetime warranty which is a plus. Ohh and yes the sound goes away once the motor warms up like after a min or so.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well the dealership decided to remove the intake to get to the oil control valve VVT to inspect it. Let’s see what happens next.

Units

Reaction score
Well the dealership decided to remove the intake to get to the oil control valve VVT to inspect it. Let’s see what happens next.
My ‘22 had the same exact noise at startup. Ended up getting a new motor. Stay on them about it and document everything. Wouldn’t hurt to get a case started with @RamCares.
Good luck.

Reaction score
My ‘22 had the same exact noise at startup. Ended up getting a new motor. Stay on them about it and document everything. Wouldn’t hurt to get a case started with @RamCares.
Good luck.
Thank you for the tips here. How do I create a case with ram cares?

Reaction score
So apparently they didn’t find any metal in my oil control valve (VVT) and they are replacing the cam shaft and lifters. Does this sound like this will fix the problem?

WildBill138

Reaction score
Eh if the lifters killed the cam it probably sent metal thru the engine. So i dont know where the metal went, usually it can be seen on the oil control valve. Maybe just the lifter got stuck in the upward position and wasnt grinding out the cam? Id a ask for the old cam. If it has grooves or chunks out of it. That metal went somewhere.

Reaction score
Eh if the lifters killed the cam it probably sent metal thru the engine. So i dont know where the metal went, usually it can be seen on the oil control valve. Maybe just the lifter got stuck in the upward position and wasnt grinding out the cam? Id an ask for the old cam. If it has grooves or chunks out of it. That metal went somewhere.
I too agree with you. I requested for the mechanic to hold the cam and lifters so that I can inspect it. Hopefully this fixes the problem but I suspect it won’t.

Units

Reaction score
Took me in the realm of 6 months from the first time I took it in to get looked at to the time it got a new motor. They replaced the lifters in mine at first and said there was no problem with the cam, sound continued to happen more frequently. Was told to keep driving it and eventually broke down and had to have it towed. Mine started making racket at around 4500 miles. In the end I got rid of it and now have a 6.7. Stay vigilant and patient but firm. Document everything. @RamCares monitors this and other ram forums and they can be very helpful.

Reaction score
Damn 6 months wow thanks for the tips. I’m almost thinking of just trading it in for the diesel. I’ve started to document everything and reached out to ram care for support as well.

Reaction score
Eh if the lifters killed the cam it probably sent metal thru the engine. So i dont know where the metal went, usually it can be seen on the oil control valve. Maybe just the lifter got stuck in the upward position and wasnt grinding out the cam? Id an ask for the old cam. If it has grooves or chunks out of it. That metal went somewhere.
Well I went to the dealership they are holding the truck overnight to make sure the cold start sound isn’t replicated. I took a photo of the cam and lifters I didn’t see any heavy scratches. Hopefully it’s fixed tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_4254.jpeg
    IMG_4254.jpeg
    567.9 KB · Views: 15

dieselscout80

Reaction score
Curious to know your Idle time numbers from the dash.
I have 519 hours of idle time according to the dash in 79,516 miles of driving. I guess I didn’t make note of it when I got the truck in 2022 with just over 63k miles on it.
IMG_4343.jpeg

whitexc

Reaction score
Pretty sure my ‘21 with 22k miles was around 130 idle hours not long ago. I will check. I’m a remote start junky for sure. I bought it to use it.

Sent from me

Users who are viewing this thread