Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Premature Aisin Failures

Scy4811

Reaction score
Since the truck was not cover under any warranty i replaced it myself with a takeout from Chrysler.( I know a guy) that had 38 miles on it . Ram that one to 22600 miles and that one went. Snap right was broken both times. But I have to ask is it truly the snap ring or is the groove on the drum just not deep enough allowing the snap ring to ride for a little while and then over time is pops out of the groove even partially and the pressure is applied and the drum slides back and breaks the snap ring?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Since the truck was not cover under any warranty i replaced it myself with a takeout from Chrysler.( I know a guy) that had 38 miles on it . Ram that one to 22600 miles and that one went. Snap right was broken both times. But I have to ask is it truly the snap ring or is the groove on the drum just not deep enough allowing the snap ring to ride for a little while and then over time is pops out of the groove even partially and the pressure is applied and the drum slides back and breaks the snap ring?
Ok sounds good. I will get you on the spreadsheet. Can you get me the following info for your truck?

1. Date you ordered the truck (if applicable)

2. Date of manufacture (See sticker on driver door for "date of manufacture (Build date))

3. Date you purchased the truck

4. Mileage on odometer at the time of failure(s)

5. Serial Number of failed transmission (s) (see blue stamped metal tag on side of the transmission. It will be something like "2H-2345"

6. Serial Number of replacement transmission (if applicable)

7. Were you towing at the time of failure?

8. Did 1st through 4th gear work?

9. Did reverse work?

10. What date did the transmission fail?

11. When was the truck returned to you after repair?

12. Did your dealer replace the transmission with a new unit or was the failed transmission repaired with parts?

13. What is the current status of the truck ? Repaired, replaced, or awaiting repaired?

Everything I know points to the snap rings themselves as the ultimate culprit behind these failures. I’m sure some variations in machining on the drum may have played a part in some failures also.

Grenadiers

Reaction score
New guy here, 2022 Laramie, long bed crew cab. 16,500 miles, build date 9/21. Need I worry? Just had about the 6th recall completed, and I took in a copy of the TSB to talk to them about it. Mostly a deer in the headlights response. They have one tranny guy, and I gave them the TSB and told them to call me back after they talk to him. Crickets.

Truck sits all summer and winter. We take it Baja and back from Minnesota since we bought it, hauling a truck camper and 6x12 enclosed trailer. Did the trip twice no problem. And as others have noted, I’m too tall for the small cab! Thinking of selling it.

tchur1

Reaction score
New guy here, 2022 Laramie, long bed crew cab. 16,500 miles, build date 9/21. Need I worry? Just had about the 6th recall completed, and I took in a copy of the TSB to talk to them about it. Mostly a deer in the headlights response. They have one tranny guy, and I gave them the TSB and told them to call me back after they talk to him. Crickets.

Truck sits all summer and winter. We take it Baja and back from Minnesota since we bought it, hauling a truck camper and 6x12 enclosed trailer. Did the trip twice no problem. And as others have noted, I’m too tall for the small cab! Thinking of selling it.
9/21 build date seems pretty far before the window when most trannys are failing. The problems trucks seem to be more mid to late 2022 builds. Most trucks are failing much earlier than 16,500 miles so you're likely OK but can't be certain. I have a early 22 build and wouldn't consider selling. If the trans fails, its fails, gets repaired under warranty and Im good moving forward. You mentioned the truck sits all summer and winter and have only taken a couple long trips. I cant sort out why you would want to sell with that little use?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score

Given the data I’ve collected, I can say pretty confidently that your chances of a failure are slim. I don’t have any September 2021 built trucks on my spreadsheet as of now. I’m missing quite a few build dates for trucks, but it seems the curve on this failure starts May - April of 2022 and peaks around September and October of 2022. Of course I cannot tell you definitively wether you are or are not at risk. No one really knows because ram has not released any categorical information on this problem. Current data for build dates based on my research and documentation shows the following:IMG_3333.jpeg

Last edited:

Grenadiers

Reaction score
I don’t know, I go back and forth on it. Wife is nervous, and about the same time we found out her 2014 Kia Soul she loves, has potential engine failure at some point. We had a 2001 F350 7.3l that lost its transmission on one of those previous trips, while traveling In Missouri. $4500 later, back on the road. On a different note, I estimated the Dodge bed capacity is 4000#. Correct? I want a newer camper, and they are heavier than the one I have.

Grenadiers

Reaction score
One other thing, I met a guy at a truck stop with a 5500, who tows for a living, and he recommended I should keep the tranny in tow/haul mode which I do on our 2500 mile Baja journey. Good idea?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t know, I go back and forth on it. Wife is nervous, and about the same time we found out her 2014 Kia Soul she loves, has potential engine failure at some point. We had a 2001 F350 7.3l that lost its transmission on one of those previous trips, while traveling In Missouri. $4500 later, back on the road. On a different note, I estimated the Dodge bed capacity is 4000#. Correct? I want a newer camper, and they are heavier than the one I have.

One other thing, I met a guy at a truck stop with a 5500, who tows for a living, and he recommended I should keep the tranny in tow/haul mode which I do on our 2500 mile Baja journey. Good idea?

If you have questions about your truck not related to the Aisin failures, please start a new thread.

LezzzGo

Reaction score
Can do! If possible please get me your trucks date of manufacture (build date) as this is one of the more important data points. That, and the transmissions serial number. I appreciate it!

Did the truck fail 8/12/23? If not please provide failure date.
Also: has your dealership confirmed it was the K1 snap ring failure?
Working to obtain the transmission serial # but have confirmed it was Oct 2022 build and service dept confirmed K-1 clutch failure. Failure was on 8/12/23.

kors

Reaction score
Hi all,

I stumbled upon this thread last night and just wanted to say thanks to the community for all effort to put together a resource like this- just amazing! I've got a Jan 22 build date on my 3500 and just shy of 10k miles with no trouble (knock on wood.)

cj8rockcrawler

Reaction score
Hi all,

I stumbled upon this thread last night and just wanted to say thanks to the community for all effort to put together a resource like this- just amazing! I've got a Jan 22 build date on my 3500 and just shy of 10k miles with no trouble (knock on wood.)
My 22 is a Feb 22 build with 18k on it so far without issue. I hope we're both in the clear based on the data.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

It’s been a lot of work to assemble the spreadsheet and keep it updated, but definitely rewarding. As you will see below, January 2022 built trucks are statistically pretty low on the representative list. Out of the 198 trucks I have build dates for, only 2 were manufactured January 2022. So roughly 1% of the total number of failures I’ve documented. I would think your chances are pretty good that you will not experience a k1 failure.

kors

Reaction score
It’s been a lot of work to assemble the spreadsheet and keep it updated, but definitely rewarding. As you will see below, January 2022 built trucks are statistically pretty low on the representative list. Out of the 198 trucks I have build dates for, only 2 were manufactured January 2022. So roughly 1% of the total number of failures I’ve documented. I would think your chances are pretty good that you will not experience a k1 failure.
That's awesome- definitely makes me feel better!

Grenadiers

Reaction score
Question on using tow/haul mode when hauling truck camper. I use this exclusively when traveling the 2500 miles to our place in Baja. Will this ‘help’ for overall transmission health, and particularly, the snap ring situation?

flan

Reaction score
Question on using tow/haul mode when hauling truck camper. I use this exclusively when traveling the 2500 miles to our place in Baja. Will this ‘help’ for overall transmission health, and particularly, the snap ring situation?
If the snap ring is going to fail, it will. Tow haul or not. Tow haul useage will be beneficial to your brakes as the downshift strategy combined with engine braking will limit brake wear.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Tow haul will not make a difference with the K1 issue, guess how I know...

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Based on the data, the K1 snap rings have failed in both towing and non towing scenarios, in all sorts of varying conditions. So I take that as, if you have a bad snap ring, it’s going to show up. The only factor is “when”, in terms of mileage before failure.

I have a very knowledgeable contact on the Aisin. I have been assured the snap ring is the causal factor in the failure. I have also been told that, if you want to increase the likelihood that the snap ring will fail, the use of Tow / Haul will very likely make the flawed snap ring rear it’s ugly head sooner. As it was described to me, activating Tow / Haul increases the ramp rate and aggressiveness of the apply clutch. I’m assuming this means the added forcefulness of the clutch can cause the snap ring to pop out sooner.

That being said, you should be running tow / haul anytime you are loaded or towing as it completely changes how the truck shifts, downshifts, etc.

This snap ring problem is inescapable. Trying to drive it softly will not make the problem go away. If the snap ring in your truck is a flawed one, it’s going to fail. Only a question of when. At this point, given all the data and information I have gathered over the past 8 months of researching and documenting, my approach and advice would be to drive the truck as it is intended to be driven, with the understanding that it may fail. Have a contingency plan in place, and make sure you have trailer towing assistance / insurance as part of what you do. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and drive the truck you paid for. When / if it eventually does fail, at least you will have a ton of foresight into this issue and can make appropriate steps to get the truck to a competent dealer and have it rectified.

As much as it pains me to say it, it’s up to us owners to figure this all out and have a plan in place. Ram isn’t reaching out to customers to let them know if their truck may be affected and there’s no sign of a recall in sight. This eventuality was the underlying reason why I started my research, documentation, and these threads here and elsewhere. I will continue to do so, in the hopes that it will ultimately keep others from getting into bad situations.

gimmie11s

Reaction score

No.

Users who are viewing this thread