Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Mega 3500, Loud droning noise on highway

ssteve19

Reaction score
So I pulled the fuse for the amp this morning and confirmed there was no sound coming from the audio system. I went for a drive and the humming/droning noise I have was still present. Originally it was present around 75 mph. Then it seemed like it was present at 80. Now it seems like its more around 85. The truck has 1500 miles on the odometer. Could it be the gears or something are still breaking in?

sstoner911

Reaction score
So I pulled the fuse for the amp this morning and confirmed there was no sound coming from the audio system. I went for a drive and the humming/droning noise I have was still present. Originally it was present around 75 mph. Then it seemed like it was present at 80. Now it seems like its more around 85. The truck has 1500 miles on the odometer. Could it be the gears or something are still breaking in?
The only reason gears would drone is if they are not installed correctly

JimKIII

Reaction score
Goofy question - but could it be your tires?

JimKIII

Reaction score
I thought that too. It's possible but I would think it would be more consistent if it was tires. Maybe just use that as an excuse to upgrade to 35s or 37s lol.
My truck's tires are really quiet on certain road surfaces - asphalt for example - but on concrete roads they tend get much louder.

Calef_HD

Reaction score
I took my truck to the dealership yesterday and took a tech out for a drive to hear the noise its making. Heading out it was pretty quite but on the return, the noise, sounds like a bad drummer in the back seat, was very active. Rolling the windows down the noise ceased. Rolling the windows back up the noise returned. The tech agreed it was the ANC messing up. They are trying to get Ram to send a replacement amp module.

cdntrucker

Reaction score
I took my truck to the dealership yesterday and took a tech out for a drive to hear the noise its making. Heading out it was pretty quite but on the return, the noise, sounds like a bad drummer in the back seat, was very active. Rolling the windows down the noise ceased. Rolling the windows back up the noise returned. The tech agreed it was the ANC messing up. They are trying to get Ram to send a replacement amp module.
If possible, please let us know the ETA you've obtained for this part. Thanks!

Calef_HD

Reaction score
If possible, please let us know the ETA you've obtained for this part. Thanks!
The dealer called me Friday and said the part came in. I have an appointment on Wednesday 4/13 to have it replaced. I’ll try and get a photo of the part they are replacing and will post the results.

cdntrucker

Reaction score
The dealer called me Friday and said the part came in. I have an appointment on Wednesday 4/13 to have it replaced. I’ll try and get a photo of the part they are replacing and will post the results.
That's an impressive turn around. Is the sound system the Harmon Kardon 17?

Calef_HD

Reaction score
The Amp module was replaced this morning. I’ve only driven 10 miles but silence so far. I couldn’t get a photo of the part but it’s located under the dash above the e-brake pedal.

@cdntrucker yes it’s the HK system.

Icky

Reaction score
Those having issues with this, when was your truck built? Just curious as mine was built 3/27 and is on its way, should be here in a week or so. Hopefully this is resolved on later builds

JimKIII

Reaction score
Those having issues with this, when was your truck built? Just curious as mine was built 3/27 and is on its way, should be here in a week or so. Hopefully this is resolved on later builds
This issue has been reported on this forum at least as long as I've been on it - since around Oct of last year.

Calef_HD

Reaction score
11/2021

Cam1111

Reaction score
Hi all - I am typically not a forum participant or poster but I do want to say "thank you" to all who have provided input on this issue. This noise has been a source of indescribable frustration for 10,000 miles!!! I'm happy to report that after a complete circus of a process (including multiple escalation calls with Ram Corporate)...the amplifier has been replaced and the noise gone. Thanks again for the detail and background on how to instruct the dealership on the fix...after 2 visits they were telling me that Ram had stopped authorizing warrantee replacements for the amplifiers. I would say that the KEY is to get your service dealer to push to have the amp replaced (don't let them sell the story that there is a software upgrade 'any day now' that will fix the issue)...in fairness the service techs are being told this by Ram Corporate and not to replace the module. I had to elevate to the dealership service director who authorized the warrantee repair...Good luck! (The amps are in stock and were delivered to the dealership next day).

rockman88

Reaction score
Hi all - I am typically not a forum participant or poster but I do want to say "thank you" to all who have provided input on this issue. This noise has been a source of indescribable frustration for 10,000 miles!!! I'm happy to report that after a complete circus of a process (including multiple escalation calls with Ram Corporate)...the amplifier has been replaced and the noise gone. Thanks again for the detail and background on how to instruct the dealership on the fix...after 2 visits they were telling me that Ram had stopped authorizing warrantee replacements for the amplifiers. I would say that the KEY is to get your service dealer to push to have the amp replaced (don't let them sell the story that there is a software upgrade 'any day now' that will fix the issue)...in fairness the service techs are being told this by Ram Corporate and not to replace the module. I had to elevate to the dealership service director who authorized the warrantee repair...Good luck! (The amps are in stock and were delivered to the dealership next day).

Congrats! Simple solution, amp replace. Loving no drone since 300 miles in! Echo the good dealer. I recommend insisting taking the tech for a ride. That’s what I did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread