Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Mega 3500, Loud droning noise on highway

Will_T

Reaction score
The owners manual says the ANC turns off when you roll down one or more windows.
Yes, but I was just asking if ANC turns off when it electronically senses a window open, how much open? Does it work if only cracked a 1/8" or so? And does opening the rear slider turn it off also?

You can de pin the mic positive wires from the amp connector

Can anyone confirm they have done this and it works? And explain where and how to do it correctly? I saw this image back in post 52. Are you saying to de-pin those 4 wires in the photo? Where is that connector?

index.php

sstoner911

Reaction score
That all describes what is happening with my 2021. It seems to have started at about 3,000 miles as I never noticed it from day one as others have. It is a bit erratic but very annoying. Sometimes it does it, other times not. But describing it as a distant artillery barrage is spot on for what I have. Too bad there is no way to disable the ANC without disabling the radio. Today I tried just muting the radio to see if that would stop it. I did not hear it after I did that, but I was only about 1/4 mile from home at the time so not a good enough test yet. I don't really understand how ANC works and why there would even be a thumping sound.

Anyone know how it senses a window down so it turns ANC off? I assume it is not just the wind noise of opening the window that does it, but that the ANC senses the opened window electronically somehow? If simply cracking a window 1/4" kills it, I might try cracking the rear passenger side and then covering it with something to keep the cold and wind noise out.

Oh, and does anyone know if cracking the rear slider window turns it off or if it is only the 4 side windows? I will try that next time I drive the truck to see. If the rear slider opened 1/2 inch turns it off, that would be the easiest solution for now I guess.
I have never had issues with the ANC - however I disabled it via AlfaOBD. It really made the HK system sound better IMO. The sub is more responsive as well.

Will_T

Reaction score
I have never had issues with the ANC - however I disabled it via AlfaOBD. It really made the HK system sound better IMO. The sub is more responsive as well.

I may have to get with the AlfaOBD program as there have been a couple of other things where that has been a solution. I don't have it or a security bypass cable now though. May be time to read through that 42 page, 825 post AlfaOBD thread. But for now I will crack open the rear slider and see if that shuts it off.

Webracin

Reaction score
Which settings did you disable? I am going to the dealership Friday so they can run some test that the Ram engineers are asking for, and if its not fixed after that, I would like to disable as well till they find a fix.

Webracin

Reaction score
Yes, but I was just asking if ANC turns off when it electronically senses a window open, how much open? Does it work if only cracked a 1/8" or so? And does opening the rear slider turn it off also?
I can tell you on mine, the drone goes away when you roll down the FRONT windows at least 1\2 way, or open the door. Back windows and rear slider have no effect.

Webracin

Reaction score
Well add me to the list for a new Amp. After the dealer worked with Ram Tech, they determined the amp was bad so I am on the backorder list!

rockman88

Reaction score
Well add me to the list for a new Amp. After the dealer worked with Ram Tech, they determined the amp was bad so I am on the backorder list!

Called my dealer yesterday and mine’s coming March 3rd. Hope it fixes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David in CO

Reaction score
UPDATE: New amp installed by my dealer today. Problem 100% fixed. Drone is gone. Radio sounds amazing too.

I'm having the same issue and it's driving me insane...to the point I joined this forum to find out any remedies. The dealership I purchased from has no idea other than telling me a patch is coming for the software, but that doesn't sound like the resolution. Did you have to take yours to the dealer for them to determine it's a faulty amp?

rockman88

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue and it's driving me insane...to the point I joined this forum to find out any remedies. The dealership I purchased from has no idea other than telling me a patch is coming for the software, but that doesn't sound like the resolution. Did you have to take yours to the dealer for them to determine it's a faulty amp?

Yes.

Webracin

Reaction score
Mine went to the dealer as well. Amp is on order so glad to hear this fixes the issue!

cdntrucker

Reaction score
2022 2500 with HK sound system same issue with under 600km.

First time brought it in but tech wasn't familiar with this issue.

Currently de-pinned mics but will take it back to dealer with this new knowledge regarding bad amps. I was also going crazy after 5hr drive of droning. Hopefully they create a new post on their internal boards this March to document the latest troubleshooting steps to resolve these droning issues going forward.

Update March 2, 2022:
Visited dealer today, had service check stock for these amps. They are back ordered at least 60 days. If anyone by chance gets a shorter lead time please share with us droned folks. Dealer will need to keep truck for the day in order to perform their own diagnostics next week prior to placing order for replacement amp. That's all for miaow.

Last edited:

David in CO

Reaction score
I had a little bit of luck and hope when I checked the fuses. As earlier stated, most were barely pushed in so I went through and made sure they were all set securely. I pulled out the fuse for the ANC (F71 from memory) started the truck, turned off, put fuse back in and restarted the truck and noise was gone!!! However, next start up, noise was back. I also checked the exhaust shield and folded away from the cab and checked the plate under the DEF tank, but that was secure. Mine has been intermittent and will eventually go away after rolling front window down a few times or fast acceleration, so not sure if it's a bad amp or bad install. FYI mine is HK system also.

rockman88

Reaction score
Enjoying the clear free non-droning sound after amp replacement!

cdntrucker

Reaction score
Lucky rockman88, hope to get there soon enough and enjoy a quiet ride in this thing.

Here's the latest update. Had dealership look into the issue again. I also provided print outs of the TSB's that were shared here regarding ANC issues as the droning symptoms are practically the same.

I got the truck back within a couple hours. They heard the droning pretty much right away. They ended up speaking with FCA and confirmed it was a bad amp. This part is now on back order with ETA of 89 days. Yikes!

So, de-pinned the mics again as a sanity preservation measure.

JimKIII

Reaction score
Lucky rockman88, hope to get there soon enough and enjoy a quiet ride in this thing.

Here's the latest update. Had dealership look into the issue again. I also provided print outs of the TSB's that were shared here regarding ANC issues as the droning symptoms are practically the same.

I got the truck back within a couple hours. They heard the droning pretty much right away. They ended up speaking with FCA and confirmed it was a bad amp. This part is now on back order with ETA of 89 days. Yikes!

So, de-pinned the mics again as a sanity preservation measure.
Sounds like time for a frigging recall notice!

Rocky Branch

Reaction score
Please keep us informed with dealer feedback! From what I can gather, the only chance of a fix is an amp replacement and/or uconnect 5 updated (more likely). Update not scheduled for release until end of March!!! No doubt “RamCares”…..

My dealer received the amp and installed it today. The truck is now perfect! What a relief to be rid of that constant noise!

Last edited:

rockman88

Reaction score
I’m my dealer received the amp and installed it today. The truck is now perfect! What a relief to be rid of that constant noise!

Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread