Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 HO Cummins Tradesman Tow Cap

Thewookie

Reaction score
Good Afternoon!

I’m picking up a very lightly used Ram tomorrow and I’m curious as to towing capacity (bumper).

I’ve seen a Ram document that states the club cab shortbed tradesman with 3:73 at 26k but that seems awfully high.

As I recall there was a link where you can input your VIN but I can’t seem to locate it.

Any thoughts?

2022 Tradesman, HO Cummins, Asin. 3:73.

Attachments

• IMG_1398.jpeg
    IMG_1398.jpeg
    698.9 KB · Views: 34

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Owners manual is your friend.

On a SRW you will run into RAWR before any other rating nearly all of the time. You may get to max tongue weight, but likely never to max gross trailer weight as that’s based on only 10% TW.

IMG_0071.jpeg

Thewookie

Reaction score
Owners manual is your friend.

On a SRW you will run into RAWR before any other rating nearly all of the time. You may get to max tongue weight, but likely never to max gross trailer weight as that’s based on only 10% TW.

View attachment 69960
Ok thanks. I’ll check out the owners manual more closely after picking up the truck tomorrow.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I’ll check out the owners manual more closely after picking up the truck tomorrow.

You can get the most up to date copy here.

Not sure I’ve even opened my paper one.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Using the online tow rating by VIN when it worked, my truck was originally rated 25K, then they seemed to think only 23.7K after the big reswizzle.

Tradesman SB would be lighter, but LB adds more payload so probably similar.

What's the door sticker say for payload?

1709272796545.png

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Using the online tow rating by VIN when it worked, my truck was originally rated 25K, then they seemed to think only 23.7K after the big reswizzle.

Tradesman SB would be lighter, but LB adds more payload so probably similar.

What's the door sticker say for payload?

View attachment 69965

And even then it’s mostly marketing, since in the real world RAWR is the limiting factor for most trailers in a SRW configuration.

I would have to do some very strategic trailer loading to ever get anywhere near the 25K trailer they say I can tow, and then the trailer wouldn’t be nearly as stable as I’d like.

I also don’t think the ratings changed, I think there are glitches in their software. GVWR and payload are printed on the truck and GCWR didn’t change.

IMG_0073.png

Thewookie

Reaction score
I’m nowhere near those numbers for trailer weight at 6K plus dogs and all the other stuff wife loads in the bed. To say this is overkill would be the understatement of the year. But the price was right and it gives me more future options.

Attachments

• IMG_1498.jpeg
    IMG_1498.jpeg
    607.7 KB · Views: 8

Units

Reaction score
I’m nowhere near those numbers for trailer weight at 6K plus dogs and all the other stuff wife loads in the bed. To say this is overkill would be the understatement of the year. But the price was right and it gives me more future options.
You can never have too much truck.

cruzinZ

Reaction score
Always better to have more truck than you need than pushing the limits on an undersized truck for your mission. Also if lawyers get involved and find out you were outside the GVRW limits things can get ugly quickly from a liability standpoint. I personally follow the 85% rule. Never exceed 85% of your gross towing capacity. This will give you a decent safety margin.

Thewookie

Reaction score
Question for you folks. I do a lot of desert boondocking with the trailer. No rock crawling, nothing fancy, but occasional soft spots.

I was looking at the window sticker (attached), and it doesn’t say anything about a limited slip at minimum. Does this mean it’s an open rear diff?

Attachments

• WindowStickerPDF.pdf
    70.4 KB · Views: 7

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Question for you folks. I do a lot of desert boondocking with the trailer. No rock crawling, nothing fancy, but occasional soft spots.

I was looking at the window sticker (attached), and it doesn’t say anything about a limited slip at minimum. Does this mean it’s an open rear diff?

The LSD is standard on all 3500's.

Your build sheet shows it on page 2.

Users who are viewing this thread