Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 DRW rim corrosion

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Ordered July 21, Delivered November 21
Less than 18k on the odometer. Wheels and tires have never been removed from the truck. Both outer aluminum rims on the duals are already showing signs of significant corrosion under the clear coat in the area where the valve stem comes through. Anyone else seeing this on a new truck that fast?CCB5A16D-89A0-4435-BF2A-27E039FE5994.jpeg2B00A189-44A5-472B-B17F-7E61A89096E8.jpeg

Dasmoetorhead

Reaction score
It sucks, and just gets worse. My 15 DRW did the same thing. Must be the Clearcoat failing.

Last edited:

Duallyltd

Reaction score
My 2019 is doing the same damn thing. I keep the truck very clean all the time, has made no difference.30,000 km

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I stopped and spoke with my dealer on Monday. They took pictures of the corrosion and submitted it to Ram. They called back yesterday saying that Ram approved for the wheels to be replaced under warranty and they would let me know when they arrived. I tried to talk with the service manager about how to prevent this from happening again but he didn’t seem much interested nor did he offer any solutions. I guess I should ask what my recourse is if/when the replacement wheels begin to do the same thing.

Cseybert

Reaction score
Get rid of the steel inner rim. I did it no problems so far.

123zk

Reaction score
I stopped and spoke with my dealer on Monday. They took pictures of the corrosion and submitted it to Ram. They called back yesterday saying that Ram approved for the wheels to be replaced under warranty and they would let me know when they arrived. I tried to talk with the service manager about how to prevent this from happening again but he didn’t seem much interested nor did he offer any solutions. I guess I should ask what my recourse is if/when the replacement wheels begin to do the same thing.
That is galvanic corrosion it happens when two dissimilar metals touch each other. Your valve stem is steel and your rim is aluminum. That is not a good combination. Aluminum and stainless is a very good combination that doesn't cause your issues. Good luck. They must be using the wrong stems

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
That is galvanic corrosion it happens when two dissimilar metals touch each other. Your valve stem is steel and your rim is aluminum. That is not a good combination. Aluminum and stainless is a very good combination that doesn't cause your issues. Good luck. They must be using the wrong stems
I agree, it’s clearly the reaction between the two metals causing it. Do you have any recommendations for the correct valve stems? I tried to search online but didn’t come up with much. You’d think this would be a well-addressed issue by now since there’s a ton of these clear coated aluminum wheels out there.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Those are stainless stems…

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I agree, it’s clearly the reaction between the two metals causing it. Do you have any recommendations for the correct valve stems? I tried to search online but didn’t come up with much. You’d think this would be a well-addressed issue by now since there’s a ton of these clear coated aluminum wheels out there.
Its not a reaction what happens is when the stem is installed it usually cracks or chips the clearcoat at the edge of the stem hole then it just starts to spread as contaminants and corrosion start where the bare aluminum is

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Its not a reaction what happens is when the stem is installed it usually cracks or chips the clearcoat at the edge of the stem hole then it just starts to spread as contaminants and corrosion start where the bare aluminum is
Thanks for that info. Any recommendations for when the replacements come in? Aside from telling the techs to be gentle when they reinstall? Also, I was under the impression that aluminum and stainless steel would also react when in contact?

123zk

Reaction score
You can't have steel touch aluminum it a no no. In the aviation world. To expect clear coat to do it is not a good idea. See if they make valve stems in stainless or rubber coating. To allow a break in the contact surface.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
You can't have steel touch aluminum it a no no. In the aviation world. To expect clear coat to do it is not a good idea. See if they make valve stems in stainless or rubber coating. To allow a break in the contact surface.
Pretty sure the factory ones are stainless.

123zk

Reaction score
Use a magnet to check if your steams are stainless. If it sticks it not stainless. Its metal

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. Any recommendations for when the replacements come in? Aside from telling the techs to be gentle when they reinstall? Also, I was under the impression that aluminum and stainless steel would also react when in contact?
Lube and be gentle also a set of brass transport style ones are better as they have a rubber washer then a brass washer then the brass nut so no clear coat is getting rubbed off when you tighten the nut

Riddick

Reaction score

^^^ Winner winner chicken dinner!

I have seen this a few times but normally it takes years to form. Also, I thought the valve stems were stainless as well. Does anyone know if a lower grade stainless steel will allow galvanic corrosion to occur. I am no metallurgy expert by any means but I know they offer various grades of stainless and imagine the corrosion characteristics of each are different.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
^^^ Winner winner chicken dinner!

I have seen this a few times but normally it takes years to form. Also, I thought the valve stems were stainless as well. Does anyone know if a lower grade stainless steel will allow galvanic corrosion to occur. I am no metallurgy expert by any means but I know they offer various grades of stainless and imagine the corrosion characteristics of each are different.
They are 316 stainless if i remember right its not from the material

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Lube and be gentle also a set of brass transport style ones are better as they have a rubber washer then a brass washer then the brass nut so no clear coat is getting rubbed off when you tighten the nut
Can you post a link? I’m not familiar with the ones you’re referring to but would happily buy them if they’ll resolve this issue

Users who are viewing this thread